Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fatmat will work fine. And contrary to popular belief you do not need to do entire panels. Find the resonances (tap them, you'll hear it), apply to about 20% of said large area where it is, re-check. All you need to do is disrupt the resonance, not entirely cover the panel.

I did my 2015 shortly after I bought it and there's probably about 20% of the area covered in the doors, a small amount on the rear wheel wells and quarter panels, and a modest amount of coverage on the trunk lid.
Ok that's some great insight into it, I had been leaning towards just covering all of the panel that I could see so good to know what's necessary and what's not. Thanks mate

·
Registered
6 Posts
NO NO NO do not cover the entire panel. Not only will you add material mass for no benefit (mass costs money to accelerate, natch) but in addition in places like the trunk lid you'll ruin its ability to stay open!

10-20% strategically applied is all you need. When you close my doors you get that very-satisfying "thunk" rather the tinny ring that they start with from the factory; there were strategic pieces of said absorber strategically applied to the interior of said panel in modest amounts until the resonance was gone, then you STOP.
Thanks again, I look forward to trying it and hearing the difference that it's going to make with the Bose speakers especially

1 - 3 of 3 Posts