Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

Time I contribute a bit: Today I started with sound deadening my 2016 6 Touring.

My plan is to do all 4 doors than move to the wheel wells and if I still have some stuff remaining - the Trunk area. I am going to skip all the flooring (maybe later).

I am using "apparently" Dynamat that didn't pass the QC check from Deimos Deals (ebay).

I ordered 10sqft and it came in 6 panels about 2x1ft each.

I finished the driver door today and man what a difference in just opening and closing the door. I used two panels for the door and did all inside the door as well around the speaker and some of the other exposed metal parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I finished the driver door today and man what a difference in just opening and closing the door. I used two panels for the door and did all inside the door as well around the speaker and some of the other exposed metal parts.
I thought you're supposed to put that stuff on the outside part not the inside? Any video I've ever watched regarding installation was with it on the outside part.
I am also curious about applying it to the inside of the door panel vs against the outside sheet metal. As far as acoustics go I would imagine doing it the way flyandi did, you are preventing the road noise from entering the air space between the outside sheet metal and inner door panel. You've got the added step of removing the inner plastic piece, but the ease of installation seems to be worth it. Doing larger strips vs a ton of small cuts while avoiding all the clip holes. Seems like a no brainer, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know the advantages/disadvantages inside VS outside but looking at the plastic panel it would be very difficult to attach the mat to it. It's a freaking moon crater landscape.

Also the plastic panel is just screwed in and I know the guys doing it on the outside are trying to create an "enclosure" for the sub speaker in the door - but I also did some generous pieces around the speaker as well.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I am thinking as a transition layer between the mat and the wheel wells I think I am going to get Home Depot Carpet Padding .. it's synthetic fiber and you get it for $0.50 per sqft ..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I finally started the wheel wells last night - .. well kind of.

Turns out that on my 2016 6 there is already a thick layer of panels + liquid sound deadening inside the wheel wells. The knock test confirmed it - it's barely hearable in the cabin - so the road noises are not coming from that direction into the cabin.

Now I wasted one big strip of material since I already put on the bare metal :\ ..

Oh this is the front btw - I will check the rear tonight and see if there is a similar picture there.

Attachments

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The issue is that I don't know where to mount the foam .. there is only a very small space in the mud guard area that isn't part of the water drain channel system.

I am pretty sure that once it rained or you wash your car that stuff is soaked.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I see no purpose of sound deadening plastic. When I close my door I hear the reverb of the sheet metal. That’s where the vibration sounds probably come from and where you want to deaden it. I’ve never seen a DIY that applied mats to plastic, only the bare sheet metal.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Fatmat will work fine. And contrary to popular belief you do not need to do entire panels. Find the resonances (tap them, you'll hear it), apply to about 20% of said large area where it is, re-check. All you need to do is disrupt the resonance, not entirely cover the panel.

I did my 2015 shortly after I bought it and there's probably about 20% of the area covered in the doors, a small amount on the rear wheel wells and quarter panels, and a modest amount of coverage on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Fatmat will work fine. And contrary to popular belief you do not need to do entire panels. Find the resonances (tap them, you'll hear it), apply to about 20% of said large area where it is, re-check. All you need to do is disrupt the resonance, not entirely cover the panel.

I did my 2015 shortly after I bought it and there's probably about 20% of the area covered in the doors, a small amount on the rear wheel wells and quarter panels, and a modest amount of coverage on the trunk lid.
Ok that's some great insight into it, I had been leaning towards just covering all of the panel that I could see so good to know what's necessary and what's not. Thanks mate

1 - 20 of 22 Posts