Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
My next car, I'm definitely wrapping it. I don't think the paint is thin, though.

If you do a lot of driving on busy freeways, chips seem almost unavoidable. I get the "following too closely" thing, but you really don't have the luxury to leave a ton a space when you're merging or in very saturated traffic. My bumper has been hit with rocks because some RWD/AWD SUV or Pick Up trucks cuts me off then floors it trying to merge into traffic.

Also, here in Texas there are so many rock construction trucks on the highway that just driving up to Austin and passing rock trucks can cause decent chips.
I have to agree about that "following too closely​" thing. There are times that I want to drive in a relaxed manner so I just follow the car in front of me and stay away from overtaking / fast lane.

The problem is, some drivers are "uneducated" that they stay on the fast lane and drive much slower than 80 kph! So if I give enough space, other drivers will "squeeze through" and so I have to hit the brakes. Well, I don't think this is a problem in the US but I'm​ not sure since I haven't stayed there for more than a week.

And speaking of trucks, it's annoying that they don't clean the bed after they discharge their load (sand, pebbles, etc.) that if you pass them then those things will hit your car.

Then again, I think Mazda's paint is just too fragile comparing it with our CR-V 98. I might be wrong though...
Oh its a problem in the US alright lol. A nice polarizing mix of people trying to go 90 or 55 in the left most lanes that creates a nice chaotic situation when there is any significant traffic. At least where I live in the east anyway.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Update on my end; Mazda Canada is repainting hood, pilar’s and doors... bringing the car in this week and should have it back in two weeks. They admitted to the problem and so far dealer and them have been great to deal with. However, took time as I brought the car to them in April and only now got the appointment to repaint. They haven’t brought up paint protection afterwards so waiting to see what they do with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on my end; Mazda Canada is repainting hood, pilar’s and doors... bringing the car in this week and should have it back in two weeks. They admitted to the problem and so far dealer and them have been great to deal with. However, took time as I brought the car to them in April and only now got the appointment to repaint. They haven’t brought up paint protection afterwards so waiting to see what they do with that.

This is great to hear!! How hard was it for you to get Mazda to step up and do the right thing? Can you share the phone number/email/contact info for who you dealt with at Mazda?

Do you happen to have access to any documentation from Mazda that details this issue like a TSB that you can share with us?

I'm about to take delivery of a Soul Red 6.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
536 Posts
If your car is new and relatively unblemished then invest on a PPF film for the entire bumper, atleast 3 to 4 inches of hood and mirrors. The paint is thing and fragile, there's not much one can do outside of a protective film.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is great to hear!! How hard was it for you to get Mazda to step up and do the right thing? Can you share the phone number/email/contact info for who you dealt with at Mazda?

Do you happen to have access to any documentation from Mazda that details this issue like a TSB that you can share with us?

I'm about to take delivery of a Soul Red 6.

Thanks in advance!!

It was actually pretty painless. I just contacted Mazda Canada first and they said have the dealership take pics and make the claim. I had sent in pics too. In my case it was pretty obviously this was a serious problem to the hood (my bumbers were still perfect (15000km in). From there it was the dealership that took the pics and months later called to take the car in to have it repainted. Dealership admitted this colour has problems because of the paint process. Hood, all 4 doors, and the two front Pilars, and honestly I’d have been fine with just the hood. Really was super impressed that it’s been this easy. Will see how the repainting goes and if it actually fixes the problem.

Don’t let anyone fool you that the paint is too thin and this is somehow normal to deal with, it’s not. One of the things I did was send links to the multiple sites talking about this issue. Keep an eye on it or have them throw in the protection film when negotiating. Hope things work out.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Don’t let anyone fool you that the paint is too thin and this is somehow normal to deal with, it’s not. One of the things I did was send links to the multiple sites talking about this issue. Keep an eye on it or have them throw in the protection film when negotiating. Hope things work out.

Is this exclusive to red? How about other colors like gray?

·
Registered
536 Posts
All colors are the same, just that darker shades tend to show the paint chips more than lighter shades. Mazda's fragile paint has been discussed to death here. You will find multiple threads on the same subject.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this exclusive to red? How about other colors like gray?

From what I’ve read and people I’ve spoken to in body shops, this is mainly their Red that has the problem. Why I have no clue, a buddy of mine has a white and another the silver and no problems at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
All colors are the same, just that darker shades tend to show the paint chips more than lighter shades. Mazda's fragile paint has been discussed to death here. You will find multiple threads on the same subject.

Not what’s happening here, this is a problem with them (Mazda, painters, whatever) This wasn’t regular. I’ve had a red car before. 10yrs in it didn’t look anything near this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the Soul Red paint on my '18 Signature 6. I started off loving the car, and receive a lot of compliments on the style and the color. Now, I pray everyday that someone steals it. The paint has been a nightmare, which began flaking/chipping off the trunk lid around 1,800 miles. Mazda had the trunk repainted and it has progressed from there. Mazda has now had the entire front end repainted and the car continues to scratch and chip. I have an appointment for later today, and honestly can't say whether the bigger problem is the chipping or the scratching. I am seriously considering seeing a lawyer at this point. I feel they should buy the car back from me. Additionally, the OEM Falken tires are absolute junk! I have worn through two sets of front tires, and have around 17,000 miles on the car. I will be buying a third pair of tires for the front next week. So unhappy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I disagree. My 2016 Mazda CX-3 was black. I had no problems with the paint on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have the Soul Red paint on my '18 Signature 6. I started off loving the car, and receive a lot of compliments on the style and the color. Now, I pray everyday that someone steals it. The paint has been a nightmare, which began flaking/chipping off the trunk lid around 1,800 miles. Mazda had the trunk repainted and it has progressed from there. Mazda has now had the entire front end repainted and the car continues to scratch and chip. I have an appointment for later today, and honestly can't say whether the bigger problem is the chipping or the scratching. I am seriously considering seeing a lawyer at this point. I feel they should buy the car back from me. Additionally, the OEM Falken tires are absolute junk! I have worn through two sets of front tires, and have around 17,000 miles on the car. I will be buying a third pair of tires for the front next week. So unhappy!
The repainting has to be done by a specialty place that knows how to handle this paint. It is an extremely process that if the steps aren’t followed exactly, it’ll be the same shit. Contact Mazda HQ as it sounds like whatever dealer you have is just putting a bandaid on the problem. When they repaint, have the pictures sent to you during the process so you can see the work too. Since mine was repainted, its been great and I don’t have a mark on it as of 2000km since the repaint. No streak marks from washing, nothing. You can feel that it’s thicker even. Hope things work out, put pressure on Mazda HQ.

I’ve had no problems with these tires. 19000km in.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have a 2016 Mazda 6 in soul red and I've gotten maybe 1 tiny chip in the about 15,000 miles I've had it. I bought it used and there were maybe 7 or so spots where they had repaired paint chips before I bought it.

The fact that it's only people with brand new cars having this issue makes me think that the paint Mazda uses has a long cure time. I know that guitars with a nitrocellulose finish take several weeks to dry but take YEARS to fully cure, so for the first 10 years or so you have to use a specific kind of guitar stand or risk marring the finish. I'm guessing Mazda paint is similar.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If Mazda is aware of problems with the Soul Red paint chipping, are they taking any corrective action??

·
Registered
5 Posts
New guy here, having the same issue, bought a brand new '18 Grand Touring Reserve about a month ago for a steal thinking I'm getting a great deal on a leftover. 34 days later I wish I'd just got the damn Lexus ES instead. I've got about 16 chips on the hood 2 above the front door handle and another 2 on each front fender.

Dealer is claiming its rock chips but 24 rock chips in 2000 miles? BS...Mazda needs to fess up and repair these things. Pics of my favorite constellation below, I call it "The Big FU"

BTW, I haven't even made my first payment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Tell the rude ass dealer to call June Mazda. They are dealing with two cars simultaneously, one being mine. This is exactly the problem! Tell the dealership they are full of shit! I'm going to start talking to lawyers about a class action. There are a lot of us out there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
New guy here, having the same issue, bought a brand new '18 Grand Touring Reserve about a month ago for a steal thinking I'm getting a great deal on a leftover. 34 days later I wish I'd just got the damn Lexus ES instead. I've got about 16 chips on the hood 2 above the front door handle and another 2 on each front fender.

Dealer is claiming its rock chips but 24 rock chips in 2000 miles? BS...Mazda needs to fess up and repair these things. Pics of my favorite constellation below, I call it "The Big FU"

BTW, I haven't even made my first payment. View attachment 237972
Mine started flaking off at 1,800 miles. If you want the bastard to call me, they sure can!

21 - 40 of 49 Posts