Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Mazda 6 for approximately for 2 months and I've had to bring it in with chip and scratch issues. I washed my car ever so gently yesterday only to find more chips in the paint. The car has 2,000 miles on it so nothing extreme about how it's driven. I live in Central Florida so I do not drive dirt roads. They've taken care of the issues when I bring the car in but I worry when do they stop and say ok you have enough mileage we can't help anymore.
My fiance has a 2017 cx5 we has the same issue with her car but hers is a lease and they say she will get some sort of allowance when she returns it. I have to pay for this car for 72 months. This must be an issue with other owners if they're paying attention. How can I get this resolved before they won't service this issue anymore?
As beautiful as this color it's not worth the headache for many years to come.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Personally I don't know why they're servicing it now.

Paint doesn't just chip because you looked at it wrong. Generally it's from following to close at highway speeds and getting dinged from the very small dirt and rocks flipped up by the car in front of you.

Happens to every single car on the highway. Have a gravel truck go over a very small bump on the road and watch all the tiny rocks come bouncing down in front on you. Good reason that clear bras are so popular.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Happens to all modern cars thanks to EPA mandated paint that is softer and thinner than it used to be in the past. Happens more to mazdas than others because mazdas have some of the thinnest paint i have come across. Your only option is to get the front 1/3rd of the car wrapped in clear bra.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Good reason that clear bras are so popular.
I've read this thing, bra, for a couple of times and so I decided to search Google for it.

As I've expected, pictures I've seen are girly things. Some are transparent that I got tempted to buy imagining my wife wearing it.

A couple of pages and I finally found that this clear bra is just a plastic that is installed on cars.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've read this thing, bra, for a couple of times and so I decided to search Google for it.

As I've expected, pictures I've seen are girly things. Some are transparent that I got tempted to buy imagining my wife wearing it.

A couple of pages and I finally found that this clear bra is just a plastic that is installed on cars.
lol. Well played sir

·
Registered
16 Posts
10000 km on mine and the hood is a mess. Soul red. Even water scratches this freakin car!!! Going to see the dealer in a few weeks. Not normal. Never had a situation with rock chips before on any car, including a previous Mazda.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Has anyone tried a good paint sealant? I plan on touching up mine in a few weeks (former rental, so lots of scratches) and was hoping to apply a good seal afterwards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Has anyone tried a good paint sealant? I plan on touching up mine in a few weeks (former rental, so lots of scratches) and was hoping to apply a good seal afterwards.

I was going to try looking at the new megulars hybrid ceramic wax

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mazda 6 2018 paint chip issues.

Now 7 months have passed Mazda takes my car to the auto body to repair or get an estimate for repairs to the chips in my paint. I leave the the car on the way to the shop which was picked up by someone from the shop. They get into an accident wreck the front end, airbags deployed. Now I have to pray for insurance to total the car or fight Mazda for a new car. I left it with them they should be responsible. I'm sure it's going to be a major battle. If you have paint issues please speak up!!!. I've only heard of three other cars and there have to be more out there. One at my dealer and one the blogs. I paid an six hundred dollars for this paint which is low quality or the workmanship was poor. I know they are machine painted but someone has to inspect them. I don't want a car that's been put back together after 7 months. I want a car like I bought it new and I don't want paint issues as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
The paint is very thin and weak.....If I planned on keeping mine long term I've have it resprayed and coated in multiple coats of a clear that was hard as heck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Sorry for your loss...

Mine too has already a lot of chips, but I live up north where they use a lot of salt and sand on the roads. There's not a lot you can do in these conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, the Soul Red paint option actually cost me an extra $2,100. $600 for the paint plus $1,500 for the Expel paint protection I put on the front 1/3 of the car. If or not that will keep it from chipping remains to be seen. I have a 16 year old BMW with over 100k on it, and the paint still looks like new, with only a few chips. I doubt the Mazda can replicate that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Its not the soul red paint but all mazda paints are fragile and extremely thin. PPF wrap is the only solution to protect the paint to some extent.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My next car, I'm definitely wrapping it. I don't think the paint is thin, though.

If you do a lot of driving on busy freeways, chips seem almost unavoidable. I get the "following too closely" thing, but you really don't have the luxury to leave a ton a space when you're merging or in very saturated traffic. My bumper has been hit with rocks because some RWD/AWD SUV or Pick Up trucks cuts me off then floors it trying to merge into traffic.

Also, here in Texas there are so many rock construction trucks on the highway that just driving up to Austin and passing rock trucks can cause decent chips.

·
Registered
581 Posts
My next car, I'm definitely wrapping it. I don't think the paint is thin, though.

If you do a lot of driving on busy freeways, chips seem almost unavoidable. I get the "following too closely" thing, but you really don't have the luxury to leave a ton a space when you're merging or in very saturated traffic. My bumper has been hit with rocks because some RWD/AWD SUV or Pick Up trucks cuts me off then floors it trying to merge into traffic.

Also, here in Texas there are so many rock construction trucks on the highway that just driving up to Austin and passing rock trucks can cause decent chips.
I have to agree about that "following too closely​" thing. There are times that I want to drive in a relaxed manner so I just follow the car in front of me and stay away from overtaking / fast lane.

The problem is, some drivers are "uneducated" that they stay on the fast lane and drive much slower than 80 kph! So if I give enough space, other drivers will "squeeze through" and so I have to hit the brakes. Well, I don't think this is a problem in the US but I'm​ not sure since I haven't stayed there for more than a week.

And speaking of trucks, it's annoying that they don't clean the bed after they discharge their load (sand, pebbles, etc.) that if you pass them then those things will hit your car.

Then again, I think Mazda's paint is just too fragile comparing it with our CR-V 98. I might be wrong though...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
Jimmyol2
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing