Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So 3,000 miles in and where do I stand on it?

Performance:

This is where the 6 hurts a little. Power is just average. It has the displacement for more power (I'm not a fan of turbo), so I'm not sure why they handicapped it outside of fuel economy reasons. Sport mode does make a difference for the better, but overall, power is average and gets me from point A to B just fine. The automatic transmission is pretty smooth, but seems to struggle to find the right gear when I mash the pedal to ramp things up. Sport mode doesn't have this issue of course. I should've gotten the manual, but the wife can't drive it and she will use my car from time to time. She doesn't care to learn. I'm not mad about it.

I give performance a B-.

Handling, suspension, noise:

This is where the car shines. It handles great. The steering feels great, it hugs the curves just right, and it never feels unsure of where to go. It does roll a little in hard turns, but nothing that makes me worry. Since I have the Sport model, the 17" tires don't bother me and I don't find the ride rough at all. I can't speak for the 19" wheels, but coming from an F-150 4x4, the ride is fine. Tires could be quieter (stock tires are crap) and the wind/road noise could be better, but it's nothing bad.

I give handling and suspension an A+ with the noise levels at a B+.

Exterior and Interior styling:

This car looks awesome. It has an aggressive look without looking silly, unlike the Camry with that black plastic grill at the bottom. The lines are clean and the panels are well put together. Inside, the cabin has a premium feel, for an economy price. The steering wheel is a little small. The pedals have the right feel. The HVAC controls are well placed. I did have to re-learn the windshield wipers due to the fact that after 11 years in my F-150, the controls were different. Muscle memory at its best. Trunk space is very good. Glovebox is good, but the center console sucks. Too damn small. The seats are comfortable and give good support. On a side note, the decision makers for the cloth seats need to think again about them. I have two dogs and yes they shed, but there is something about this material that just attracts their fur like magnets. It can be a task to remove it when I vacuum the car. My F-150 was cloth as well and the fur didn't stick to it as bad as the Mazda. Again, it's nothing that a solid vacuuming can't take care of, just still a head scratcher.

I give the exterior and interior styling a solid A. Cloth seat materials, C.

Technology/sound and options:

I think the infotainment system is well designed. When I was researching cars, I tested the 2015 Mazda 6. The infotainment system sucked. It was just dog slow. Clearly they made the right decision for 2016. It can be a bit slow to boot up at times (I wonder what type ARM processor they are using and clock speeds, if in fact it's even ARM), but it's consistent and doesn't give me fits. I never get lost and don't find it complicated in the least. The sound system sucks. I test drove a Touring with the Bose system. It sucks too. I have two amps and a sub I may install. Maybe I'll just put the sub in. I do wish they included automatic headlights across all trims. It just seems logical and I'm sure it's not a backbreaking cost. The quick blinker feature is interesting and I use it, just sometimes I push too hard and it goes all the way. Four window one touch up/down function is pretty cool. I don't use their navigation software because even if I did have the chip, Google Maps and dare I say Apple Maps is better and updated more frequently.

I give the technology and options portion an A. Sound system a C+.

Fuel Economy:

It's good enough. I average about 28 mpg based upon what the computer tells me and it lasts me close to 400 miles before it needs a full refill. It's mostly city driving. Gas tank size is a little puny, but in reality there is no space to increase storage.

I give a B+.

Final score:

I am very happy with this car. No question. It's a car that I like to look at and want to drive. The red looks real nice and the 30% tint in front and 15% in the back make it look smooth. I didn't plan to get a new vehicle until early spring 2016, but my F-150 (2004 V8 4x4 and 211k miles) took a mechanical nosedive in no time and with the marriage and honeymoon, finances could only dictate a lease for this model. I'm just fortunate enough to be able to do get into a new vehicle. I am not well versed in Mazda long term reliability (long term being 10 years and 200k miles), but we'll see how it goes. It's still early, but I am very happy in this car. I highly recommend it, but also still do your homework.

Final score is an A-.

·
Super Moderator
18,305 Posts
Glad you're overall enjoying the car how it should be.

My only rebuttal is that this is, by far, the fastest non-turbo 4-cylinder I've ever driven. Yes, the car is underpowered for its category, but that doesn't take into account that there's no hope to compete against a V6 if you don't turbo, it's just too much engine.

I'd be hard-pressed to hop in a 4-banger Accord and get the same pull as this car, but that's just me :)

Added your review to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop page.

·
Registered
140 Posts
For the OP. We have the same trim but my boss went ahead and got me the Luxury package, which included, leather upholstery, sun roof and navigation. The only downside it has is the fog lights (for not having one) and the 17inch rims. I'm heading to Cleveland to swap with one of the members here for 19s so that will take care of the issue. That will leave me with the no fog light issue. Other than that from '15 Mazda 6 GX to '16 GS with Luxury Package I couldn't help but be happy with what I have. Plus the fact that the vehicle is free since it's under company lease.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad you're overall enjoying the car how it should be.

My only rebuttal is that this is, by far, the fastest non-turbo 4-cylinder I've ever driven. Yes, the car is underpowered for its category, but that doesn't take into account that there's no hope to compete against a V6 if you don't turbo, it's just too much engine.

I'd be hard-pressed to hop in a 4-banger Accord and get the same pull as this car, but that's just me :)

Added your review to my 3rd gen 1 stop shop page.
I am enjoying the car very much in most categories. The engine gets the job done and you are correct that it will compete and beat an Accord or Camry base four. It can hold its own, but take a WRX out for a spin. No V6, no turbo, just raw 4 cylinder power. I will never expect a Mazda 6 to compete with that as they are completely different markets, but a little more horsepower wouldn't hurt the 6. But like I said, it gets the job done and does well with fuel economy.

For the OP. We have the same trim but my boss went ahead and got me the Luxury package, which included, leather upholstery, sun roof and navigation. The only downside it has is the fog lights (for not having one) and the 17inch rims. I'm heading to Cleveland to swap with one of the members here for 19s so that will take care of the issue. That will leave me with the no fog light issue. Other than that from '15 Mazda 6 GX to '16 GS with Luxury Package I couldn't help but be happy with what I have. Plus the fact that the vehicle is free since it's under company lease.
What fog light issue? Maybe I'm not understanding something.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Mine didn't come with fog lights. That's what I meant by an issue. I think GS Trims should come with standard fog lights especially the ones with Luxury Package on them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 15 GS with luxury package has fog lights, weird.

That's exactly what my point is. Apparently on 2016 it no longer comes with it. Fog lights are only standard for the GT trims. I call BS. It ain't fair but what can you do.

·
Registered
349 Posts
So 3,000 miles in and where do I stand on it?

Performance:

This is where the 6 hurts a little. Power is just average. It has the displacement for more power (I'm not a fan of turbo), so I'm not sure why they handicapped it outside of fuel economy reasons. Sport mode does make a difference for the better, but overall, power is average and gets me from point A to B just fine. The automatic transmission is pretty smooth, but seems to struggle to find the right gear when I mash the pedal to ramp things up. Sport mode doesn't have this issue of course. I should've gotten the manual, but the wife can't drive it and she will use my car from time to time. She doesn't care to learn. I'm not mad about it.

I give performance a B-.
I agree with you on the performance levels when you factor a 5.0 V8 from a Mustang which is exactly half the displacement of the M6 2.5L.
435 HP/2=217.5 HP instead of 184 HP and even the torque of 400 ft/lbs/2 gives 200 instead of 185. Plus the Mustang engine doesn't have direct injection just regular port injection. I guess it must affect fuel economy enough that they kept it where it is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I. It can hold its own, but take a WRX out for a spin. No V6, no turbo, just raw 4 cylinder power.

Hmmm? The WRX has a turbo 4 cylinder. Unless I am misunderstanding your quote?

Regardless, great review. I have a 2015 Sport in Soul Red and I love it. I came from a 2006 Honda Civic, so the power in the Mazda is fine for me (although I still want more).

The infotainment system in this 2015 model can be slow, but I don't care since my Civic had none of that stuff. I wasn't going to be too picky. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
:p Oh I wish you all could have a drive of the Skyactiv-Diesel!

Off the line may not feel quite as quick as a petrol engine, but every where else in the rev range and at speed, there is just so much torque it never feels lacking.

I drove a V6 Aurion (Toyota Camry for you guys) and to even feel the same amount of pull that my Diesel has below 2000RPM, i was almost nudging 5000RPM.

The Skyactiv Diesel engine shines in rolling acceleration, and has absolutely no problems pulling up hills in 6th gear.

I actually feel like V6's are a bit lacking now after having been spoilt with so much torque. :p

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm? The WRX has a turbo 4 cylinder. Unless I am misunderstanding your quote?

Regardless, great review. I have a 2015 Sport in Soul Red and I love it. I came from a 2006 Honda Civic, so the power in the Mazda is fine for me (although I still want more).

The infotainment system in this 2015 model can be slow, but I don't care since my Civic had none of that stuff. I wasn't going to be too picky. :)

Could've sworn it didn't. Oh well, I stand corrected.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Good review. I agree on most points.

I'll eventually change out the tires to reduce road noise but I've previously driven Hondas and road noise was worse in them by far. I ave leather and I've been impressed by the quality at the price point. As for fuel economy,

I just posted a thread about the fuel trip accuracy. Most people have said the fuel economy indicator is within a few ticks of actual. When I recently calculated for the first time, it was off by 6-7MPG. The trip computer was saying ~ 31-32MPG but when I calculated it (466 miles / 12 gal), I was getting 38.

The Bose in the GT isn't bad. Imaging and clarity are very good but typical for Bose, little bass. I think I'm putting a sub in very soon.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had my 2016 iSport for 3000 miles now. Stick shift (I hate being shiftless...). Soul red with black&tan interior. Driving at 5000 ft elevation in Arizona. I had a 2011 Mazda 6 with manual trans, and am quite surprised at the difference 14 hp makes!!! Of course gearing is a bit different too, but the power level is quite enjoyable. Makes me want to challenge cars at stoplights that I KNOW could beat me. But 0-30 is pretty fast in the Mazda.

The six speed stick is almost as good as the ones in three Miatas I've owned over the years. A true joy to shift!

I did notice that the car seemed starved for air at about 3500 rpm and up. So I enlarged the air intake opening. It made a BIG difference. Then I upgraded to a JBR intake. Since the filter isn't isolated from the engine heat, I built from sheet metal an air dam surrounding two sides of the filter, and cut an opening in the plastic in front of the wheel well to get true cold air. See attachment showing the air dam.

Incidentally, after installing the JBR filter my check engine light came on. I disconnected the battery and after that the light was off for a day or so but then came back on again. My scanner gave a "running lean" code. So I just kept driving and eventually the light went out and has stayed off. I guess the car took some time to learn that it was sucking air at a faster rate.

I've always been a power nut and if this engine had come with a turbo option I'd have gotten it in a heartbeat! And aftermarket blowers for this engine just don't seem to be available. So...I'm opting for an OrangeVirus tune. Just started the process so not sure how much added difference it'll make. We will see.

I had some custom 18" wheels on the 2011 and kept them for the 2016. They were black and chrome, but I bought paint from Automotivetouchup.com and painted the inserts to match the new car. See attachment.

Meanwhile I'm really enjoying this car! Quiet at highway speeds and for me the seats are quite comfy. Friends go "wow" when they see it, which of course makes me feel good.

Overall I'd give it an A-. And only because I'd like more power.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts