Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, back when I used to pay attention to car stereo stuff, Sony was always towards the bottom. I've owned Sony home stuff and loved it, but never car stuff. Anyway, I'm interested in a Bluetooth solution for my car, and I stumbled on this:

Sony MEX-BT5000

Looks like a pretty sweet head unit and can be had for under $300 on ebay. The bluetooth integration sounds awesome. I'm nervous about Sony car audio stuff though after what I used to know about them.

Anyone shed some light on the subject? Are Sony head units shitty? I still can't decide if I'm willing to give up my steering wheel controls or not, but I'm thinking about it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I actually just installed this head unit this weekend and was going to post pics later tonight. I have only owned clarion and alpine headunits in the past and was scared to buy a sony, but so far I am very impressed with the features and ease of use. It installs just like anyother cd player and the bluetooth works great so far no one has complained of an echo during a phone conversation. It was real easy to beam my phonebook to the receiver so you can see who is calling and make calls very easy. I also added the sirius tuner and it works great too. If your looking for a cheap way to add mp3, sirius, and bluetooth this is a good way to go. I bought mine from ebay too, so if your looking for a good seller I can look it up later and pm you.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No shit? That's awesome, I'd love to see pics and know who you bought it from. About the Sirius tuner, can you tell me if it's got the song seek feature? My Audiovox Sirius radio has this button you can press when a song you like is playing and it'll store it. If that song comes on any channel, it'll beep and alert you to it. I freakin' love that feature, and if it doesn't have it I'll probably just keep my AV and run it through the aux-in.

But yeah, pics would be great. Any thoughts on adding that SWIX thing so you can use the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
212 Posts
No shit? That's awesome, I'd love to see pics and know who you bought it from. About the Sirius tuner, can you tell me if it's got the song seek feature? My Audiovox Sirius radio has this button you can press when a song you like is playing and it'll store it. If that song comes on any channel, it'll beep and alert you to it. I freakin' love that feature, and if it doesn't have it I'll probably just keep my AV and run it through the aux-in.

But yeah, pics would be great. Any thoughts on adding that SWIX thing so you can use the steering wheel controls?
[/b]
I'm heading to night class now, but tonight I will post pics and describe it more and provide the ebay seller. I'm not sure on the steering wheel controls, but that is something I would like to add.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, can't wait to see the pics. The BT is really the only reason I want this. Sounds like it works great.

·
Registered
212 Posts
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/sto...luetooth001.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/sto...luetooth010.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/sto...luetooth008.jpg
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k277/sto...luetooth013.jpg

So far the bluetooth works great. Once you pair the receiver and the phone you just hop in the car with your phone on bluetooth and the cd player finds it. The sirius receiver doesn't have the seek feature you mentioned, but works well and sounds great. I am pleased with the sound quality because it has an adjustable eq as well as presets you can just choose from. I just hope it doesn't break I've never owned a Sony cd player before, but so far no complaints here.

Oh and the seller was abc-car-stereo. He has great feedback and shipped fast. I paid $280 shipped for it. I also found a guy selling the metra kit for $137 shipped carradioman.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That looks awfully good. I really want that BT feature. What do you think of that big knob?

Oh, and that abc-car-stereo is no longer a registered ebayer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
That looks awfully good. I really want that BT feature. What do you think of that big knob?

Oh, and that abc-car-stereo is no longer a registered ebayer.
[/b]
The big knob is weird... It works well, but I don't know why they made it so big. I ordered this like a week ago from abc-car-stereo its strange that he is no longer registered.

·
Registered
83 Posts
this headunit looks tight, but all its done is made me more depressed because i have an 06, which means no dash kit.

I hate my life.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dammit I want this. Thanks for the info, keep updating us if you discover anything else of interest. You gonna try the SWIX for the steering wheel?

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've had the Parrot bluetooth/MP3 head unit for a LOOONG while now, but no dash kit to go with. I played with it anyway in my MS6, hooked up the SWI-X and got it to work with the steering wheel controls, play music, sync up to the phone, etc. Just no place to mount the head unit and no display on the stock LCD.

In other words, the SWI-X is real easy to do. I just read up on one or two threads and followed the directions. Actually, the instructions from PAC itself were pretty darn near 100% too, so I say don't worry about it and just get it.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're not looking to get rid of it are you? The head unit I mean.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked it up and it's not really what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After some research, this seems to be the most cost effective way to add Bluetooth to the 6. I can't find any feasable way to add it to the factory system, or any cheaper head units that do what this one can do.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just wanted to add a bit of an update... Some people have complained of a bit of an echo when using the bluetooth (i alsays ask if there is one) but said they could hear me fine. It seems to be hit or miss some people complain some don't. As far as the conversation goes on my end it sounds crystal clear coming through the car speakers.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
don't know if you've bought or still considering that unit but my shop sells sony as a cheap brand for kids to buy if they want them. we've had 14 sony's returned since we started carrying them which was june 1st. not sure how many were those decks but at least 5 were that unit. i'd steer clear of sony but that's just me.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Which unit? The bluetooth one I have? It hasn't been out long at all so if you've had that many returns that is not good news to me or the kids lol.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
don't know if you've bought or still considering that unit but my shop sells sony as a cheap brand for kids to buy if they want them. we've had 14 sony's returned since we started carrying them which was june 1st. not sure how many were those decks but at least 5 were that unit. i'd steer clear of sony but that's just me.
[/b]
Then plese sell a sony laptop to me for a dirt cheap price.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
car electronics and i give nobody my discount anymore sorry. i got f*cked by zapco with my sponsorship b/c they THOUGHT i hooked someone up. i ended up sending them back the 12k of gear i got for sponsorship price and paid the difference to store cost, it wasn't fun shelling out 2800 bucks.

i checked, we've had 4 of that deck returned since it came out and 2 display models(1 the screen went out).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts