Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i noticed that that power pull you feel from 4.5K+ isnt there unless you get on the car two three times before. When its not there it feels like the engine just makes noise but doesnt pick up that fast. Same pickup at 3K. However, get on it 2 or three times and shell start pullin like she does normally. In fact the harder i drive the better it does, however, the next day i have to re do everything. Any idea what might be causing this sporadic early loss of power? This happens regardless how warmed up the engine has gotten. Actually its always warm as I never push it when I first turn it on until the temp gague sits in the middle again, old habit. Anyway, oil level full and no CELs ever. ??? Someone mentioned the mazda "adapts" to your driving, but if it "adapted" the day before, and i dont drive any differently why the hell is it forgetting?

Recently installed the CPE and its more apparent now. Any ideas? Im going to take it to the dyno this week probably and do a pull or three to see where the power band sits after the CPE.

·
Administrator
8,397 Posts
My 6 pulls hard every time, at least after I let her warm up to temp. I've never had a problem passing anyone on the highway or rural two-lane.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have also had experiences similar to this where it seems like the power is there one day and not the next. I swear one afternoon on the way home from work the car was pulling extremely hard and the next time I started it up everthing was normal again, but I really have no proof besides my butt dyno and the perhaps I had too much coffee that dat. This is with similar weather conditions, engine warmed up, etc. I also have the CPE. I have never done a dyno, so most of the time I just think it's in my head.

I have been contemplating on whether or not to install a A/F guage to see if there is any difference in A/F ratio and how that may effect the cars performance day to day.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Same issue here. It seems to not be going throught the RPM's as fast as it used too. It just doesnt have the pull anymore. I would like to know what is causing this and the fix.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
ur probably just getting used to the car... as for your fix? cp-e headers... and when you get used to them... get something else lol.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The weather is going to have an impact on performance as well. Two days ago, it was 45 degrees and my car always felt quick. Today, it was 78 and my car felt like poo. C'moooooooon winter.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think what you all are experiencing is part of torque management. Basically the computer tries to 'learn' the driver's behavior and adapt. It's one of the features of modern cars that I can live without. I'm not sure how much torque management effects the MTXs but I know the car still pulls timing when the engine is really hot.
[/b]

For me this is almost always the case when i first turn my car on and it has warmed up for a bit. If it learns my driving habits, it must forget them that night since its back to the sluggish feel first.

I think im going to take it to a dyno and do a couple of runs with and without the MafCi box (but still leave the intake on) just to see if that has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
For me this is almost always the case when i first turn my car on and it has warmed up for a bit. If it learns my driving habits, it must forget them that night since its back to the sluggish feel first.
[/b]
No. It's probably just cold start protocal. The PCM probably doesn't let the variable valve timing actuate until the oil reaches a certain temperature. While I do try not to go crazy on it until it warms up, I have noticed two things on the cold start management. First is the apparent lack of V V T. The second is that the rev limiter is shortened a bit. Now, as to the forementioned "fuzzy logic", I have noticed that after driving sedately (I know - how dare I), or on the highway for awhile that it doesn't feel like the V V T is kicking in as abruptly the first time I get back on it. It's all in the programming (unfortunately - by the way anybody figure out that speed limiter yet?) :headscrat:

Anyway, my PCM has been reprogrammed, like, 4-5 times since I've had it. Two times in relation to a CEL, two times because I was complaing about driveability and the last time because of a "campaign". The last one sucks! :swearin: It's made my throttle response so f'd up on cold starts that I look like I have never driven a stick before!!! I complained, but they said they knew about it and there were no newer updates yet.

That brings me to the last point. Your car's programming gets "updated" more than you may realize. They can reflash it for free while it's under warranty. You just have to come up with some valid driveability reason for them to do so. But, like I mentioned above - beware of what you ask for. My last reflash caused my throttle response to be worse than it was when new (it was pretty bad then - throttle by wire stuff). And that one I didn't even ask for. It was some recent campaign issue. And once it is reflashed, you can't go back (or so they - the dealer - tell me).

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Its sounds to me like cold start safe zone too, except for the fact that my car does not exhibit these weak cold start issues when the temp gauge is at or just below the mid point. When my gauge starts to climb, the car is like Taco Bell, "good to go."

If you haven't changed the oil in a while, maybe that will be part of the problem. When was the last time you cleaned your MAF sensor? If you have a CAI, probably should do it somewhat often. Just so happens I'm doing that today.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The temp gauge only measures the temperature of the coolant not the oil. The oil takes a few minutes longer than the coolant to reach operating temperature due to its density, and that is what the computer uses to determine if the engine is still "cold" or not. That would still not explain the issues unless you are getting on the car right when the needle settles in the middle of the coolant gauge, but I have a feeling most of us wait a few minutes past that before pushing it. As for the power-loss of which you are speaking I have never experienced it. My PCM hasn't been updated in at least a year, and probably longer since I purchased the car used and that may be part of the reason, but I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the powerloss will be there almost always unless i get on it a few times prior regardless of how long its been runing. Actually, try very hard not to push it until its been in the middle for a while.

It has about 20K miles on it, and i have never cleaned the maf sensor. I do have a CAI but i just put it in not too long ago. I also get an oil change every 4K miles since its a relative small town and i get 0% highway miles most of the time. I average about 18mpg so i figure i should change the oil every 4K instead of the reccomended 5-7 :).

Overall, it does ok, and if i just give it some juice once or twice it comes to.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Clean the intake manifold as well while you're at it. I cleaned up mine a while ago and it definitely felt more responsive, throttle wize. But doens't explain your issue entirely. But on a side topic, if you're getting 18mpg that sounds really low, almost too low unless you're driving like a complete maniac in the city. May be related to the issue you're seeing.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
18 too low? Isnt it rated for 19? V6 MTX.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am starting to think its the warmup thing. I noticed if i dont push it much, i can get pretty far before it heats up all the way. I am thinking that when i said i "get on it, once or twice"... basically I caused it to warm up faster.. and hence start doing its thing.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I am starting to think its the warmup thing. I noticed if i dont push it much, i can get pretty far before it heats up all the way. I am thinking that when i said i "get on it, once or twice"... basically I caused it to warm up faster.. and hence start doing its thing.
[/b]
what kind of climate temperatures are you guys getting down south? up here we get to 30F or so and its been no problem for me. i usually drive off right away (within 10 seconds) and havne't noticed any power loss.

i think its all those mazdaspeed6 threads on powerloss that's got us you paranoid :nana:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its been nice weather, 50+ but basically until the car warms up (temp gauge gets to the middle), i am VVT less...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
12 Participants
RoX
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing