Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a "clunk" like sound / feel between shifts (1st thru 4rd) - it happens when shifting and depressing the clutch and not necessarily hard driving . When you depress the clutch, the there is clunk or shudder through the drive train - feels like it's coming from the rear but it's tuff to tell. Whats worse is that it doesn't happen all the time - on the way to work this morning, it was fine. On the way home last night, it was there.
I'm bringing it up here because its intermittent - I'd love to take it in to have it looked at but you know the minute I take it to the dealer, it will not be there - the second I drive off the lot, it'll reappear.

Anyone else with this problem or have an idea what it might be?

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Broken motor mount perhaps or one of the other mounts that appears to be weak (based upon other threads on axles breaking).

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Broken motor mount perhaps or one of the other mounts that appears to be weak (based upon other threads on axles breaking).
[/b]

Yeh, thanks for the feedback and I've read most of that stuff you're referring to - what I'd like to know is if broken mount symptoms are off and on? Would a motor mount issue show the same symptoms every time you drove the car? Could it dissappear intirely on a particular day?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
youre probably just not used to the clutch yet. dont let of the gas so quickly and dont kick the clutch so hard. balance it out. i used to have the same clunk and then i changed my driving habits and havent had it since. or like dave said, get a new cp-e motor mount.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm getting a "clunk" like sound / feel between shifts (1st thru 4rd) - it happens when shifting and depressing the clutch and not necessarily hard driving . When you depress the clutch, the there is clunk or shudder through the drive train - feels like it's coming from the rear but it's tuff to tell. Whats worse is that it doesn't happen all the time - on the way to work this morning, it was fine. On the way home last night, it was there.
I'm bringing it up here because its intermittent - I'd love to take it in to have it looked at but you know the minute I take it to the dealer, it will not be there - the second I drive off the lot, it'll reappear.

Anyone else with this problem or have an idea what it might be?
[/b]
Just noticed this exact same thing a couple days ago. I was thinking of taking it the dealer but haven't yet.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
youre probably just not used to the clutch yet. dont let of the gas so quickly and dont kick the clutch so hard. balance it out. i used to have the same clunk and then i changed my driving habits and havent had it since. or like dave said, get a new cp-e motor mount.
[/b]
I won't let me ego get in the way - you might be right :tear: . There just seems to be a lot of tension along the drivetrain - you depress the clutch and the car seems to shudder. If you slow up on the clutch and ease off the gas, it does help - but should we have to drive this car that way???? I may look at motor mounts although I was hoping to avoid the rough idle that usually comes with stronger mounts. Thanks for your input.

It's the differentials doing their thing. You'll hear/feel a clunk when their locking/shifting power.
[/b]
Really? Is this typical of all AWD's or just this one? I've owned and driven a few and if this is normal, there are issues with this AWD design.

·
Registered
259 Posts
You typically get clunking noises with agressive clutch pack limited slip racing differentials.

The MS6 has a torsens type rear diff. It should be silent. Haldex type system also are silent.

·
Registered
353 Posts
You typically get clunking noises with agressive clutch pack limited slip racing differentials.

The MS6 has a torsens type rear diff. It should be silent. Haldex type system also are silent.
[/b]
and you should not feel the rear diff doing anything unless power is being sent to it, which is only when it needs to be. Under normal driving you should not feel the rear diff do anything as your only in fwd mode.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If i let off the gas or get on the clutch between shifts some times i will get a clunk, its all in how i chose to drive though, and easily avoidable, it is a result of mazdas historically soft motor mounts.

·
Registered
856 Posts
and you should not feel the rear diff doing anything unless power is being sent to it, which is only when it needs to be. Under normal driving you should not feel the rear diff do anything as your only in fwd mode.
[/b]
The rear differential is engaged more than you think. Mine seems to engage about 90% of the time.

·
Registered
663 Posts
If i let off the gas or get on the clutch between shifts some times i will get a clunk, its all in how i chose to drive though, and easily avoidable, it is a result of mazdas historically soft motor mounts.
[/b]

I agree. I experience the same thing. There is nothing wrong with your car. It'a amazing how different this car can feel when your tired.
When I'm driving home after a long day I really wish the speed was at least a paddle shift. (just when I'm tired though) I am seriously considering the cp-e mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts