Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '04 6s MTX hatch with 33K miles has started making this clunk sound whenever the front suspension gets fully (or near fully) compressed. Examples of when this happens, hitting the brakes hard then going over a dip in the road, or sometimes making a left turn at an intersection at a brisk pace. I can't tell if it's coming from the left or right.

I had my Mazda dealer take a quick look, just to make sure nothing obvious was loose. I'll schedule an appointment for further investigation. I'm just wondering if anybody has had this before.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
clunking metal on metal could be endlinks.

check those, and check the bolts on the strut. whatever those are.

best of luck, hopefully you can reproduce it easily!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has no mods. I'll check the sway bar endlinks. Tomorrow, I'll be putting on my RB springs and sway bars.

Since the warranty is almost up, I've decided to make a few upgrades: CP-E Engine mount, MT-90 Trans fluid, Amsoil 0w30 and RB springs and bars. The engine mount and fluids were put in earlier this week.

The clunking has been going on for about 2 weeks. I can reproduce it almost at will. During casual driving, no problems. But, if I push the car hard, it will happen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My '04 6s MTX hatch with 33K miles has started making this clunk sound whenever the front suspension gets fully (or near fully) compressed. Examples of when this happens, hitting the brakes hard then going over a dip in the road, or sometimes making a left turn at an intersection at a brisk pace. I can't tell if it's coming from the left or right.

I had my Mazda dealer take a quick look, just to make sure nothing obvious was loose. I'll schedule an appointment for further investigation. I'm just wondering if anybody has had this before.

Thanks
[/b]

Hey man I have the EXACT same problem except I don't have warranty on my car anymore. Post how the dealer solved your problem.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: The clunk seems to be gone.

Bad news: I'm not sure what fixed it.

The clunk disappeared after I put in my RB springs. What I did notice is that there was significantly more corrosion on the passenger front than the driver's front suspension pieces. I was expecting this, but it was more than I anticipated. My car is driven year-round and Illinois is notorious for salting the roads.

I suspect the suspension was binding and then "snapping" free. But, I would expect this behavior during extension, not compression. So, that theory doesn't work.

My other theory is that I have no bump stops in the front. The RB install sheet shows pictures of the front and rear bump stops. I didn't see any on the front of my car. In all the vehicles of I've owned, I've lost only a couple bump stops and those were on vehicles with about 100K on the odometer. But, the 6 has been driven pretty hard. Maybe I broke them off?

EDIT: Another theory, the strut was shifting up and down in the lower fork holder. But, that just seems so unlikely.

Anyone else have an idea (or two)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, I have good news and bad news.

Good news: The clunk seems to be gone.

Bad news: I'm not sure what fixed it.

The clunk disappeared after I put in my RB springs. What I did notice is that there was significantly more corrosion on the passenger front than the driver's front suspension pieces. I was expecting this, but it was more than I anticipated. My car is driven year-round and Illinois is notorious for salting the roads.

I suspect the suspension was binding and then "snapping" free. But, I would expect this behavior during extension, not compression. So, that theory doesn't work.

My other theory is that I have no bump stops in the front. The RB install sheet shows pictures of the front and rear bump stops. I didn't see any on the front of my car. In all the vehicles of I've owned, I've lost only a couple bump stops and those were on vehicles with about 100K on the odometer. But, the 6 has been driven pretty hard. Maybe I broke them off?

EDIT: Another theory, the strut was shifting up and down in the lower fork holder. But, that just seems so unlikely.

Anyone else have an idea (or two)?
[/b]

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mazda/109523160...0304/20031.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mazda/109523160...0304/20032.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mazda/109523160...0304/20033.html

http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Mazda/109523160...0304/20034.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
dstone20
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing