1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background information first:

Oil Changes at: 600, 3750, 7500 and now at 15,000 miles
Filter: Purolator Pure One - PL24651
Oil: Motorcraft 5w-20 for first two changes, switched to Mobil 1 5w-20 on 3rd change

My car was fast approaching the 15,000-mile mark over the last few weeks so I found some time this past weekend to change the oil. I encountered nothing out of the ordinary during the process. As usual, I punched a hole in the top of the old filter to allow as much of the oil inside to drain and left it to sit for a day or so.

I went out to the garage today to do the final clean up and noticed something odd about the filter. After looking at the bottom where it mates to the engine, I noticed a significant amount of dirt/grit, what I would classify as road grim. It’s primarily between the very outside of the filter and the inner rubber seal. Inside of the rubber seal appears to be clean.

Thanks to my ultimate laziness, I happen to have all of the old filters from the previous changes sitting in the garage to use for comparison. Now, those filters do show some dirt/grit, but not as much as on the filter I just removed. This is the first vehicle I have owned where 7500 mile OCI’s were acceptable based on the owner’s manual.

Over the past 7500 miles (about 6-8 months), I added about one half quart of oil to maintain a level at the top of the checkered section on the dipstick. From what I recall, it took the normal amount of force to get the filter off. Had it been loose, I think I would have noticed a substantial lose of oil. The only difference this time was the use of Chevron with Techron about 1000 miles before this oil change (probably irrelevant).

My question(s) is: Has anyone else had similar experiences? Am I just not use to seeing this since I’ve never done an OCI over 3750? With the filter being on tight, and no noticeable oil leaks, can the amount of dirt/grit I see be logical since the outside of the filter doesn’t necessarily form a tight seal with the engine?

Sorry for the long winded post, but I'm watching baseball and drinking alone so I have nothing better to do. :)

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I noticed a significant amount of dirt/grit, what I would classify as road grim. It’s primarily between the very outside of the filter and the inner rubber seal. Inside of the rubber seal appears to be clean.
[/b]
I see the same thing. I changed my oil every 7500 miles. My UOA shows that there's nothing irregular in the oil.

BTW, I'm kinda confused. Didn't you say your OCI is 15000 miles? Then you said that you never done OCI longer than 3750 miles. :huh:

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the same thing. I changed my oil every 7500 miles. My UOA shows that there's nothing irregular in the oil.

BTW, I'm kinda confused. Didn't you say your OCI is 15000 miles? Then you said that you never done OCI longer than 3750 miles. :huh:
[/b]
Good to know I'm not the only one who experiences this. I was kinda concerned. I have the kit to submit a sample for a UOA, but I didn't even think to use. After looking at other filters I have laying around from my Xterra, there is almost no space between the outside of the filter and the inner rubber seal like on our filter. Another reason I haven't see this before I suppose.

Yeah. I noticed that I said OCI at the top where I should have said "Oil changes at." Sorry for the confussion. I changed it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I thought you are supposed to change you oil every 3000 miles or the dealer wont warranty you car, is there something that i dont know?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
Any good oil can last at least 5000 miles. Full synthetic can last 7500 miles with no problem.

The max distance in the mazda6 manual is 7500 miles so if your car is under warranty, it's better not to go beyond that. But after the warranty is out, you can go longer.

3000 miles oil change is a waste of money and oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts