Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ya'll....

I just installed an oil-filter relocation kit from Ford Racing so I can install my oil temp and pressure sensors better, and I have a stubborn leak on one of the fittings on the plate that goes over the hole. I've pulled it back out, cleaned the fitting (.5 inch NPT with a barbed hose nipple) and the port it goes in to, retaped it, and put it back in. The tape made it snug as soon as the tape was threading, but am I not using enough? I wound it around many times. It's a really slow leak, I mean this wouldn't even make a hemophiliac reach for a bandaid. But it's annoying as hell since it is RIGHT OVER THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD. Gotta love that burning oil smell.

Any thoughts? Just try more tape? All the other fittings are holding well, and it looks and works GREAT.

Or has anyone used anything better than the tape that I should try? I'm going to put it back on stands tomorrow and yank it again, what should I try?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You should go to your local lowes or home depot and get some liquid pipe thread. They call it pipe dope, or thread sealant. Make sure it is one that can take higher temps. They will go up to about 400 degrees or so.

·
Registered
98 Posts
normally you shouldn't make more than two turns with thread tape; otherwise you might be dealing with ''boss'' threads, similar to npt but you'll never get it to seal without an o-ring...

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
yeah yo, when i work with my dad and we're doing up brass fitting, we use teflon tape AND pipe dope.

pipe dopes like a grey putty type shit. i know it works for water heaters, so it might be okay on cars? don't quote me on that, just an idea.

ps - make sure you're threading the teflon the right way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
HUH?
[/b]

how do i explain that one: we call them boss fittings. they are very similar to npt (in fact an npt fitting will screw into it, but it will never seal). the boss fitting will screw in a few turns, and a counter nut with a seal on it will tighten the whole outfit

http://www.msprotege.com/members/CatD399/i...20to%20boss.JPG

the fitting in this pic is hard to see, but you can see the nut where it screws into the racor filter housing...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Welp I read up some on the internet... And it is a bit hard to "see" what these things are. It seems to look like a flare fitting, but then it also talkes about o rings and ferals... LOL I havnt heard of them, ya learn something new everyday. I would hope his oil kit dont use these as it is something much harder to find than your normal plumbing stuff.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No...I got it to seal. A little black permatex beading around all the fitting threads and she sealed up good as new. So no worries there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.