Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking all over the forums and I see turbo kits for sale but I know someone has got to have a "homemade" turbo kit on their car. Anyone....?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
there's 2 of them out now, blaezn has the 1st one, and TS3 Dragula has the other (though not installed)

hope that helps

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I'll home-make you a turbo kit. I should have enough paperclips laying around the office......can of air duster...hmm what else......Nice black Magic marker...I think I can whip something Macgyver style up for ya.....

(office-made i guess, not home-made)

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i figured it would go this route!! lol

the thing with "home made" turbo's on the 6 (or 3) is the tuning. there are plenty of ways to just put stuff together and a honda and just get a handheld tuner or Apexi unit to tune....not that easy here.

Blaezn's, though pretty good, put out less HP than mine on the same boost, and i'm an atx...and he had some tuning/vacuum issues to deal with. the other turbo was never really verified as the owner seemed to change stories a lot.

then there's the twin turbo back east that still can't push it after over a year as the tuning is still not available for it.

just buy a kit, it's easier, less headache

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
after I get current with my bank I am saving for the hass turbo. Was going to get a loan but apparently they look in to credit history on that crap....bummer... The biggest problem I have is no matter what they will not return ANY of my calls or emails so that I can get some answers to some questions I have.....

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
WHY GO HASS??? i really don't get it? nothing against cville at all, but how is them taking 8 months to finish a kit, not answering emails and calls....still wanting you to purchase them over HiBoost?

HiBoost has the same turbo's available if people want GT over IHI, can do internal or external wastegate, instructions are done and have been installed by owners themselves, ECU is ready to go....sorry i just don't get it

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
WHY GO HASS??? i really don't get it? nothing against cville at all, but how is them taking 8 months to finish a kit, not answering emails and calls....still wanting you to purchase them over HiBoost?

HiBoost has the same turbo's available if people want GT over IHI, can do internal or external wastegate, instructions are done and have been installed by owners themselves, ECU is ready to go....sorry i just don't get it
[/b]
Um, I actaully chose the hass kit because of you lol....This post

the good thing about this kit is it includes the larger downpipe/cat and exhaust which account for the increased #'s over the HiBoost kit. I talked to Hass a while ago and got a hold of CVille to go in and be the test guy. Not sure if they switched to the E-Manage Ultimate or still using the "old" one (not that it matters), but there was some talk about setting it up with the Ultimate for future tuning.
[/b]

I have not really heard or seen much of the Hiboost to be honest with you. (photos of the kit and so forth). My biggest concern was just what all comes with the kit and what am I going to have to buy in order to have the kit work OTHER then the kit so that I can tally a correct number so I have an aim of what to shoot for money wise while getting it together.

TO be honest the name doesn't mean crap to me. What is important is that is does it's job and produces numbers. Is built with quality and so on. I thaught you was a big supporter of the hass. granted I know you have hiboost but i assumed you was a big suporter of the other so that is what made me want it also.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
the only added piece that HASS comes with is the larger downpipe. given, that will be a nive benefit if you have a 3" exhaust...that's what HiBoost is making for me currently. but from my standpoint, customer service and track record means a lot. i'm the one who contacted Hass about making a kit for us, and got cville to drop off his car. i'm glad he still feels good about it as i feel like crap since he's been without his car for 7 months now because of me.

HiBoost should have the jig for the 3" downpipe done in the next couple weeks for sure (if he hasn't already), so that can just be added to the kit. they recommend going with teh external wastegate with the 3" as some have felt soem creep on the larger exhaust with the internal wastegate.

sorry to come off so strong, but HASS has left such a bad taste in my mount from how cville has been treated (in my opinion) as well as screwing over a guy on the 3 forums who now has a dead car because of them.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
the only added piece that HASS comes with is the larger downpipe. given, that will be a nive benefit if you have a 3" exhaust...that's what HiBoost is making for me currently. but from my standpoint, customer service and track record means a lot. i'm the one who contacted Hass about making a kit for us, and got cville to drop off his car. i'm glad he still feels good about it as i feel like crap since he's been without his car for 7 months now because of me.

HiBoost should have the jig for the 3" downpipe done in the next couple weeks for sure (if he hasn't already), so that can just be added to the kit. they recommend going with teh external wastegate with the 3" as some have felt soem creep on the larger exhaust with the internal wastegate.

sorry to come off so strong, but HASS has left such a bad taste in my mount from how cville has been treated (in my opinion) as well as screwing over a guy on the 3 forums who now has a dead car because of them.
[/b]
no biggy, you are justified in how you came off. IN light of new information i will have to look in to the hiboost instead. it'll more then likely be the coming winter before I have enough saved for it. so hopefully it is still available by then......So does the hiboost kit come with everything needed or what will I need to purchase seperate before I even attempt to install this?. that way I have an idea of what all i need to add other then JUST saving for the kit (not counting tools)

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
all i would recommend for the prep for turbo is really 2 main things, boost gauge and A/F guage w/ wideband. as well as some thicker oil, but that's really oil change, not install.

there are plenty of other things you can do, but those are the only 2 i feel are really NEEDED. the atx people should plan on valvebodies for sure as well. some options are boost controller and trim module (go hand in hand really) but i would hold off on those, so you don't go crazy with boost when an evo rolls up on you. (CAUSE YOU'LL WANT TO)

i race the car, so i did a "bit more" and will be getting an oil cooler this week most likely as i saw my oil temps get out of hand after a lap on the track.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with Tea on the customer service of Hiboost. Juan is a really good guy and was very very helpful with getting my IC fixed. Speaking of which, I get my IC back tomorrow and I'm lookin at this Sunday to install the kit, yes I can't wait. :D

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yeah, Hass don't quite seem to get it. They still say they're committed to doing the product though. I'd like to see them be an active part of the market, as they've done with other kits, but it's kinda hard to see that happening at this rate (8.5 months!).

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I can't imagine going that long without my car, a few months leaving it at cp-e was rough but you sir are a hero.

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
hey Cville, any new news? they just told the guy with the 3 that if he took his car down to them they'd make it work. i was hoping this meant they figured out the E-Manage wiring on your car. i'm guessing this is what has been waiting on your car as well, since they haven't been able to tell him any instructions on the ecu install yet.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Got a friend who has a homemade turbo 6, he's on my team. I haven't seen it yet since he's car has been in the shop for a LONG LONG time but I'll post pictures as soon as he gets it back which is supposed to be this week.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
hey Cville, any new news? they just told the guy with the 3 that if he took his car down to them they'd make it work. i was hoping this meant they figured out the E-Manage wiring on your car. i'm guessing this is what has been waiting on your car as well, since they haven't been able to tell him any instructions on the ecu install yet.
[/b]
Haven't heard anything about the 3, but my car is supposed to go on the dyno this week. AFAIK, the wiring is different between the 3 and 6, which is partly why things have dragged on a bit (basically nothing from the 3 kit transferred directly).

It sounds like the greddy idle harness worked though, which means it's ready to be tuned, and the weather's nice here finally for the street tune. I'll try to see if they have a solid dyno date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
7 Participants
CvilleSix
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing