Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am looking to install some aftermarket headers on my 6i. I found a topic in wich some guys was talking about their GT-SPEC headers but they are no longer available. I found that DRAXAS are making headers for our car but they don't seem to be as good as GT-Spec's one. Draxas tell me that I can expect a 5-7 WHP with their headers. I'd like to know if some guys have these installed??? With comments please!!!

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
i'd like to see who said the GT Spec headers performed better than the Draxas ones?!

the were some initial fitment issues with the Draxas headers that had since been fixed, and the design at least, it better than the GT Spec ones that were around here a while ago. key thing for the 6i is to make sure an new midpipe is incorporated into the install as it's a big bottleneck in the system.

welcome aboard by the way! perhaps a general location in you profile and car info in your sig. might help with some info down the line as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'd like to see who said the GT Spec headers performed better than the Draxas ones?!

the were some initial fitment issues with the Draxas headers that had since been fixed, and the design at least, it better than the GT Spec ones that were around here a while ago. key thing for the 6i is to make sure an new midpipe is incorporated into the install as it's a big bottleneck in the system.
welcome aboard by the way! perhaps a general location in you profile and car info in your sig. might help with some info down the line as well.
[/b]
Thanks for the answer,

So I should trust the Draxas headers. The guys I contacted at Draxas told me that I can expect a 5-7 whp gain; do you beleive that?? For the midpipe, do you know a company that make it or I have to ask an exhaust repair shop to do a custom one?? Sorry for my english, I come from Quebec, Canada. I will also update my profile.

Would you recommend another modification than some headers that will give more hp for that price?? I already have a K&N typhoon cold air intake and I think that headers is the second modification to do, I will also get that sound I am willing for!

Thanks Mr.Tea

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
your english is excellent, dont worry about that. im sure you can speak the language better than most here in the south :hoho:

yes, the gains are about 5-7 hp, and with a mid-pipe...well, we don't really know how much more they would be. equal length long tube headers are expected to gain around 15whp (some believe as high as 20...which would be nuts) because they're more efficient and incorporate the mid-pipe. a set of draxas headers and custom mid-pipe could produce similar gains, but not as high as the potential 20whp some are hoping for.

so, Mr Tea, anything new from F2 about their headers yet?

·
Super Moderator
9,080 Posts
...plus i prefer "4banger"...the term seems like you are putting it down to me, then you suprise a couple bigger engines...i don't know, just me.

i think the biggest thing you'll notice from the headers is a free-er rev. though the power won't be the same as a true longtube, or a midpipe, but it will still feel great.

you can as Nik @ Drazes and they might have a test pipe to sell with the headers, not sure if they have it though.

as far as the F2 headers, he's still moving shops, you never know how much stuff you have until you have to move...turned out to be more of a project than 1st anticipated.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
I believe 6GunRocket is whipping up something very good here.....I just have a feeling

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
as far as the F2 headers, he's still moving shops, you never know how much stuff you have until you have to move...turned out to be more of a project than 1st anticipated.
[/b]
Every minute I work on these I whisper "what have I gotton myself into" over and over again. lol.

smoothies?

please tell me he's making smoothies.
[/b]
Well that's all your gonna get from me Business. But you know, I'll prolly just "rig" up the smoothies too. ;)

Update: Heading into the home stretch. The problem is that stainless steel which is what everyone wants is very expensive right now. It's looking on the higher end of 800 shipped right now. Steel is looking much more affordable.
So I beseech thee, what dost thou want thy headers made of?

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Thanks Crossbow! But from what I saw it's looking like more like 180 per header. And then there is shipping to Cali. By that time your getting close to stainless anyway. The plan is this right now...the headers will be made to order and there will be a price for stainless and steel. Steel will be shipped uncoated and it will be the buyers responsibility to get them coated or not.

Edit: The Long-Tube Header project is hereby scrapped. For some reason the catalytic convertor is mounted just too far forward. Unless someone comes up with a solution other than me making a full replacement exhaust system.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
sixme
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing