Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new as a member; but have been lurking here for a while. Nice board here guys!

My spouse works in the Flat Rock plant; so I have some neat insights into the North American version of the Mazda6.

We were treated to an unveiling of it in the fall at "Family Day"; that is what started me on the path to ordering one of these cars. I was floored by the looks and once I sat in it I *wanted* it.

I have a 99 Taurus SHO V8 that I have liked; but with the recent findings that the engine in that car is fatelly flawed... well, the Mazda6 got moved up to a *need* instead of a *want*. :D

We had a chance to take a Mazda6 on a test drive on Saturday, October 19 at the "Joy of 6" Family Drive Day.

My spouse and I took a Mazda6 S with a manual trans out for about an hour. Expressway, highway and stop and go. The car is very solid feeling, very responsive and has tremendous acceleration. Better than my V8 Taurus SHO... which is saying something. This was a pre-production model, but it was very tight with no rattles. Fit and finish - even on this car - was excellent. It handled very very very well. The brakes are excellent. The manual shifter is very nice; took all of two seconds to adjust to it. The seats are very nice; the leather interior is very nice. I had no real criticism of the car. There is tire noise; but nothing on the level to complain about like some folks here are doing based on just numbers. There is no wind noise at all. The car feels much like a sportscar... except it is a 4 door sedan. I had VERY high expectations.... and I was *very* impressed.

I fell in love with the car and this past week I ordered one. No due date yet; but wow - this car is for real.

I don't want to give away too much info from inside the plant; I don't want my spouse in trouble for "leaking" info - but I can share a few things if you ask. The first ones are just now shipping next week. They plan on getting 16,000 out by Xmas.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Some opinons on the USA Mazda6; I have driven it...'

Halfadozen,

Welcome to the site !!

Glad to hear about another purchase/order of the car !

Even though I am from Australia, we have only the 2.3 litre engine over here......

I have had my car now for over a week, and I love it, In for 1000 klm service today......

You have made a excellent choice, and my main reason for purchasing the car is exactly what you said, It really does feel like a Sportscar to drive !!!

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hey since you ordered your and probably be one of the first to get it. Is it possible to order one for me too?? :)

Any idea when the car starts shipping to Canada?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Originally posted by hieppo

Hey since you ordered your and probably be one of the first to get it.  Is it possible to order one for me too??  :)

Any idea when the car starts shipping to Canada?[/b]
Canada in January. And no, can't order you one. :D

Thanks for the welcome Rod.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Welcome halfadozen :)

That was a great write-up!! Got me all excited :D

Alan

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Welcome aboard! Do you have any insight on the option combo issue, or on the availability of the hatch and wagon? I have been hearing that we may see the options open up when Mazda has put a few cars out there. The website certainly LOOKS like it should be able to order ABS without the kitchen sink.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by kenoka

Welcome aboard!  Do you have any insight on the option combo issue, or on the availability of the hatch and wagon?  I have been hearing that we may see the options open up when Mazda has put a few cars out there.  The website certainly LOOKS like it should be able to order ABS without the kitchen sink.  [/b]
On that I have no answers. The car I ordered was everything with the sink... except I skipped the aluminum fuel cover door and chrome appearance package - my spouse said they both are pretty cheesy looking. I got the manual tranny; I have wanted a manual trans again since I sold my 93 Probe GT for my first SHO (1997; I leased the first and bought a 99 SHO which I have currently). I really miss shifting. Wierd, eh?

The wagon and hatch should arrive for next year is my best guess - no inside info there. I would also agree with you that the options will open up a bit once the whole production process gets smoothed out.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Welcome aboard and thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, how has the quality improved at the plant since they took people to Japan to learn? Also will there be any delays because of the past port strike?

·
Registered
87 Posts

Thanks for the info! The v8 sho is a great car, I've read about the engine problems, which are too bad. I hope that that is the fault of the Yamaha engine rather than anything on Ford's end. Can you tell us if the plant your spouse works at is reliable? I hope the Mazda 6 is problem free.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, I would also like data on quality control and reliability.

·
Registered
62 Posts

This is great! We have a member who's wife works directly at the plant!!!!:D

Let me tell you, I have never been more excited about this car! Unbeleivable!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

They have made the 626 there from Day One. That car has been nothing but dependable and quality was high.

They made the Probe there; it was car of the year in 1993 in Motor Trend. I owned two Probes; one was a 91 and one was a 93 GT. They were both excellent vehicles.

The Cougar they made there had quality issues; most were related to faulty engineering and parts. It was underpowered and got a bad rap from day one.

The plant has a new president, he is Australian (Good Day, Mates!). I have met him when they introduced the Mazda6. Unlike other presidents - for this launch he has been on the factory floor.

My wife has told me some of the issues thus far are mostly water seal (easy correction on the robot that puts in the windsheld). Outside of that there are no major issues to report. She has tallked to the engineers, reparimen and line workers in addtition to her own job there and on her recommendation I ordered a Mazda6. That should give you some indication of my confidence level in the car.

The plant is one of the most advanced in the world - Ford is moving the Mustang there in 1994... and that is *the* Ford car. That is how much Ford believes in the plant and the workfocrce. Mazda is doing the 6 there; which as we all know is the first of a major make-or-break for Mazda.

The workers mostly have all been there since 1987-1988 when it opened; they know their jobs and have launched cars before. They also know that this car is *very* important to their future job security. They are working overtime and weekends now to make produciton numbers.

That's your "in the factory" report.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Wow they use robots now to put on windshields. I thought they only used robots for welding and painting. I remember back then when they used people to put on the windshields.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I have toured the plant many times now - every year since I met my wife back in 88 almost.

There are robots all over the place. It is pretty wild.

·
Registered
837 Posts

Hi Halfadozen,

There is another thread dealing with the issue of Mazda using leather only in the sitting surface but leatherette the rest of the seat.

Can you confirm if this is true with the model you experience?

Do you know for sure if this is what will be used in production model with your wife?

I know this was the job of beancounters but why can Honda and the others can beancount with real all around leather.

Let us know.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by hieppo

Hi Halfadozen,

There is another thread dealing with the issue of Mazda using leather only in the sitting surface but leatherette the rest of the seat.

Can you confirm if this is true with the model you experience?

Do you know for sure if this is what will be used in production model with your wife?

I know this was the job of beancounters but why can Honda and the others can beancount with real all around leather.

Let us know.[/b]
I will ask; but most likely you are getting leather "seating surfaces" and not leather all the way around.

I'll see what I can find out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Originally posted by neoanderson2002

Can you also get info about the invoice price?  Thx[/b]
The stickers are put on at the "back door" and outside of mangament - no one will have that answer. So I doubt I can add anything to it. Sorry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts