Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When it comes to cars I really do not know the technical aspect of things I like to pay someone and get the job done lol. I have a few questions.

I own a 2010 GT and wanted to know a few things.

1. I want to upgrade my stock HID xenon with a 12000K bulb and the site I looked at suggests that all bulbs are plug and play. However they suggest I need new harnesses wiring etc...

Do I need that stuff to upgrade the bulbs or should my stock harness do the trick and work fine that way?

Also If I upgrade the fog lamps to something more sporty looking (maybe also 12000k?) would I need to change the harnessing in that as well?

My second/third question is that I have the stock bose system in my car but not the GPS unit. Called the guys at Mazda and they told me it would be like 8 grand to get the factory GPS unit from them and get it all installed!!!

I was wondering if I bought a aftermarket in dash GPS unit would all the functions of the car work? Such as all 10 speakers bluetooth phone steering wheel controls. I know it would depend on the head unit but does anyone think its worth it? Oh I also have subs installed as well that run from the stock deck (its the one with the information screen but not touch)

Anyways thanks to anyone who can answer any if not all my questions. Cheers!!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Not sure why this is in the interior section but anyway...

The GT comes with HIDs from the factory so all you need is new D2S bulbs...no other wiring is needed. DO NOT get 12000k...1. rice. 2. you'll get pulled over so quickly. 3. do you not want to see at night?...stick with 5000 or 6000k...

For the fogs you will need an HID kit...easy...also stick with 6000k or less if you want to match the headlights, or even better get 3000k if you want functional lights to cut through the fog.

As for the headunit...idk it depends on what you get.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Everytime i see blue/purple bulbs, it makes me gag. It doesn't look clean and classy which this car is. Light output would be poor at best and would be dangerous to drive at night or bad weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure why this is in the interior section but anyway...

The GT comes with HIDs from the factory so all you need is new D2S bulbs...no other wiring is needed. DO NOT get 12000k...1. rice. 2. you'll get pulled over so quickly. 3. do you not want to see at night?...stick with 5000 or 6000k...

For the fogs you will need an HID kit...easy...also stick with 6000k or less if you want to match the headlights, or even better get 3000k if you want functional lights to cut through the fog.

As for the headunit...idk it depends on what you get.
What k are the stock bulbs? The reason why this is on the interior section is because I started off asking the headunit questions and added the light question after lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,855 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is a pain to do because there is very little access, but it can be done. You can turn the wheel or take it off. You could also take off the front bumper. I've done it all ways.

If you plan to do the fogs, I would just take off the bumper. Do it all at once without bruising your knuckles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a pain to do because there is very little access, but it can be done. You can turn the wheel or take it off. You could also take off the front bumper. I've done it all ways.

If you plan to do the fogs, I would just take off the bumper. Do it all at once without bruising your knuckles.
So people keep telling me I need to install new ballasts or w.e I keep telling them I already have stock xenons and they just keep telling me no you need new ballasts. Are they retarded or trying to rip me off

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
667 Posts
You wont need ballasts for the lows since you already have HIDS. You just need the right bulbs. However, you will need ballasts for the fogs since the stock ones are halogen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts