Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few lighting questions on my 2007 Mazda 6. Before someone shits a brick I did TRY to search. However since my job still insists on us using IE 6... it did not work. :jackoff: Anywho...

I want to go all LED on my car. Why? I don't know.

So I researched bulb numbers and I guess the license plate, dome and door lights are all #2825. Superbrightleds.com either doesn't sell them or I am blind. <_< Any suggestions on that one?

Also what bulb number are the lights in the headlight? Not H1 bulbs. Sylvania's site says accent lights? Not sure if that is correct.

And the final question(s): I would like to do HID. I notice there are $100 kits and like $30 kits. This one interests me. I would prlly go with 6000k bulbs. But then do I get two kits? One for high and low beams? And what wattage would I want? And is there any real advantage over slim ballasts?

Whew...

Thanks in advance for your help. Please don't shoot me for my inability to search. :rofl:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lighting

I have some of the same questions. Mainly headlights. Some bulbs I have seen are 55 watt, some are 100 watt. Will it affect the wiring in my 08 6.
Also, any help will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,547 Posts
Look here for the bulb numbers.

As for HIDs, I wouldn't use them for the high beams, since they usually get turned off/on frequently, which severely shortens the life of the HID bulbs. Go ahead and use them for both the low beams (H1) and fog lights (if you got them).

Also, for LEDs, check out V-LEDS.com. They have a good selection of very high-quality bulbs. They may be pricey compared to other places, but they're well worth it, since IMO the LEDs and built well and are bright.

Proof?

LEDs in both the license plates and reverse lights.

And...

LEDs in the turn signals.

If you're interested, let me know if you need any help with which bulbs to get, and I also have a discount code for the site if needed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Look here for the bulb numbers.

As for HIDs, I wouldn't use them for the high beams, since they usually get turned off/on frequently, which severely shortens the life of the HID bulbs. Go ahead and use them for both the low beams (H1) and fog lights (if you got them).

Also, for LEDs, check out V-LEDS.com. They have a good selection of very high-quality bulbs. They may be pricey compared to other places, but they're well worth it, since IMO the LEDs and built well and are bright.

Proof?

LEDs in both the license plates and reverse lights.

And...

If you're interested, let me know if you need any help with which bulbs to get, and I also have a discount code for the site if needed.

Good luck.
Grey Ghost,

i'm thinking about going LED for the front turn signals in my 04 so the amber color is gone... I'm not sure if you had an issue since your 6 is newer, but did the LED bulbs flash alright when you changed them? I know you sometimes have to change the flasher fuse on some cars so they don't freak out with LEDs, but those things aren't terribly cheap.

Anyway, just wondering what your experience was.

·
Registered
667 Posts
FairPlay,

You should go to autolumination.com... They have pretty much a cross reference for every bulb number known to man. The ones for the interior/license plate/doors/ glove box are all 194 bulbs (or W5W or T10, glad they have a universal naming system). I just changed all mine to LEDs. I don't think your 07 should be much different than my 04.

As for the HIDs, your low and high beams are H1, the fog lights (if you have them) are probably H3, the turn signals are 1157 (Sylvania uses there number of 2357A) and the parking lights are 194. Again, this is assuming they didnt change anything to 2007, but I don't think they did.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I appreciate all the answers. Especially the pics. :lol:

Now does anybody have answers about the HID wattage and if that HID kit I provided was worth while?

You guys are awesome. Thanks again.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Something I posted in another thread, just what I've heard:

Usually with higher wattage = more heat, which leads to a shorter life of the bulb. Also, you'll want to check with the manufacturer if they recommend a wiring harness to the battery to supply the balast with the extra juice. I know that with the kit i just ordered, they suggested the harness even for the 55 w kit.

Hope that helps

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,547 Posts
Grey Ghost,

i'm thinking about going LED for the front turn signals in my 04 so the amber color is gone... I'm not sure if you had an issue since your 6 is newer, but did the LED bulbs flash alright when you changed them? I know you sometimes have to change the flasher fuse on some cars so they don't freak out with LEDs, but those things aren't terribly cheap.

Anyway, just wondering what your experience was.
For the flash fix, I ordered a set of 6-ohm resistors that wire directly in parallel with the wires for the turn signals. V-LEDS recommends 6-ohms for one pair of LEDs (either front or back) or 3-ohms for both pairs (front and back). They are very easy to install, can be mounted just about anywhere, and IIRC much less expensive than the flasher relays.

One caution: the resistors can get hot, so be sure to mount them on anything other than plastic or fabric/carpeting.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
go to ddmtuning.com for hid's. there cheaper then even ebay. and come with a lifetime warentee. there's a reason why most of this site has got there hid's from them. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I have a few lighting questions on my 2007 Mazda 6. Before someone shits a brick I did TRY to search. However since my job still insists on us using IE 6... it did not work. :jackoff: Anywho...

I want to go all LED on my car. Why? I don't know.

So I researched bulb numbers and I guess the license plate, dome and door lights are all #2825. Superbrightleds.com either doesn't sell them or I am blind. <_< Any suggestions on that one?

Also what bulb number are the lights in the headlight? Not H1 bulbs. Sylvania's site says accent lights? Not sure if that is correct.

And the final question(s): I would like to do HID. I notice there are $100 kits and like $30 kits.
This one interests me. I would prlly go with 6000k bulbs. But then do I get two kits? One for high and low beams? And what wattage would I want? And is there any real advantage over slim ballasts?

Whew...

Thanks in advance for your help. Please don't shoot me for my inability to search. :rofl:
As for the HIDs, you definitely don't want them in your high beams as Mz6GreyGhost said. As for where to buy them, Revolution Performance Motorsports! Your source for aftermarket performance parts! - Revolution Performance Motorsports! carrier the DDM brand, which come with a lifetime warranty. I have the DDM 55w 5000K in my low beams and LOVE the look and extra light. I do have the accessory harness as well, since i was getting misfires without it. The slim ballasts are just easy to mount.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Amber looks cool - stock appearance - but has anyone replaced the amber with red so the entire back end is red ??? Thinking off adding a dual filament bulb so I have parking lights as well, to fill out the housing color more.

·
Registered
667 Posts
For the flash fix, I ordered a set of 6-ohm resistors that wire directly in parallel with the wires for the turn signals. V-LEDS recommends 6-ohms for one pair of LEDs (either front or back) or 3-ohms for both pairs (front and back). They are very easy to install, can be mounted just about anywhere, and IIRC much less expensive than the flasher relays.

One caution: the resistors can get hot, so be sure to mount them on anything other than plastic or fabric/carpeting.
Grey Ghost,

I've been racking my brain on where I would put the resistors, but cant think of anything? Where would I be able to put them in parallel? The wiring for the signal bulbs is never exposed at all... Just curious,

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Grey Ghost,

I've been racking my brain on where I would put the resistors, but cant think of anything? Where would I be able to put them in parallel? The wiring for the signal bulbs is never exposed at all... Just curious,

Thank you!
Pull the wire out of the back of the bulb connector, clip off the metal clip end piece, connect that end to the resistor, and then put another wire on the other side with a new metal clip and insert it back in the bulb connector.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,547 Posts
Grey Ghost,

Thank you!
All I did was cut the sheath that covers the wiring to the bulb sockets to expose the wires, then I connected the resistor wires to the bulb wires using the Scotchlok connectors provided with them.

If there is no access to the wires at all, Gremlyn's solution should work as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts