Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, Im considering the HKS BOV kit from cp-e. I have read a lot of different things about them:

Mostly that the noise is cool, which I agree somewhat. However I dont want to dump almost 300 on a sound. From what I have read, A Blow-off Valve really is not a power gain, but could possibly make the car faster due to the effeciency and its abilty to keep boost on tap. Anyone have one or can someone provide any insight.

thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
If you want something an order of magnitude cheaper, lol, just purchase a 1st gen DSM bov on ebay or the like. clean it up, dremel it for a minute or two, and pop it on. 30 bucks max, and you get good steady boost hold. a few members on this board have done so (mine is in the mail) and with good results.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...4&hl=dsm+1g

·
Registered
329 Posts
Before blowing your money dont forget that unless you plan on running VTA you are still not going to hear the BOV unless you mod your intake as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Noob to some of yall acronyms...VTA?

·
Registered
329 Posts
VTA = vent to atmosphere

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
What method is better for the MS6 with an HKS BOV, VTA or recirculatory? How do I know which one mine is set at? How can I change it?

·
Registered
593 Posts
MS6's come in recirc mode. From all my past experiences with turbo cars, changing a recirc vehicle to VTA is not a good thing....you are basically blowing off metered air (air after the MAF). This basically causes the cars computer to inject the correct amount of fuel according to the metered air. If you blow that air out, you are now dumping more fuel than air, leading to a momentary rich condition. You might notice some backfiring, black smoke of out the exhaust, etc...

HOWEVER....

I was told by some on here (and, in fact, a mechanic at the DEALER) that running VTA will NOT affect this vehicle. I recently replaced my intake with a MazdaSpeed one and, at the same time, replaced the stock BOV with HKS SSQ. For my own personal knowledge, I left the BOV VTA and, well, so far they were right. No problems!!! I does feel like I have a little more lag, which would make sense...but it does sound pretty cool. And it's friggin LOUD!

I'm going to install the recirc hardware just because....just because I still think that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be.

·
Registered
820 Posts
it may only make your car run richer then it already is. You run the risk of prematurely killing your cats, other than that it won't really hurt your car, but it's a risk that most aren't willing to take for literally no gain.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
MS6's come in recirc mode. From all my past experiences with turbo cars, changing a recirc vehicle to VTA is not a good thing....you are basically blowing off metered air (air after the MAF). This basically causes the cars computer to inject the correct amount of fuel according to the metered air. If you blow that air out, you are now dumping more fuel than air, leading to a momentary rich condition. You might notice some backfiring, black smoke of out the exhaust, etc...
HOWEVER....

I was told by some on here (and, in fact, a mechanic at the DEALER) that running VTA will NOT affect this vehicle. I recently replaced my intake with a MazdaSpeed one and, at the same time, replaced the stock BOV with HKS SSQ. For my own personal knowledge, I left the BOV VTA and, well, so far they were right. No problems!!! I does feel like I have a little more lag, which would make sense...but it does sound pretty cool. And it's friggin LOUD!

I'm going to install the recirc hardware just because....just because I still think that's the way it's SUPPOSED to be.
[/b]
How do I know which mode my HSK BOV is in? I did not install any of this myself, as I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to auto engines.

·
Registered
329 Posts
How do I know which mode my HSK BOV is in? I did not install any of this myself, as I am not very mechanically inclined when it comes to auto engines.
[/b]
If it looks like this you are running VTA

If it looks like this you are running recirc

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
If it looks like this you are running VTA

If it looks like this you are running recirc

[/b]
I guess it's recirc, thanks. I will not mess with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts