Mazda 6 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Not sure why my post got clipped. I'd edit it if I had the permissions :p
Lol, it's all good. Im sure I'll sort out the problems somehow/sometime.

While I have not come out and announced the grand plan of the car, I may need to rewire the entire car at some point so if I don't find it before then, I'm sure I'll find it then lol. I do plan on doing the interior of the car sometime after the new year so I was going to start stripping the panels and headliner out. Fall is a great time to work on the interior of the car here in FL lol.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It's been a while since an update so I figured I'd drop one. I've stayed busy for the past month just in life in general as well as working on the Mazda. I was having to drive my wife around for a little bit due to her bug dying. It kinda worked out because we ended up getting a 2004 Chevy Avalanche Z66 in okish shape. Hey it ran and drove so it was better than the bug ? . After we got the truck it gave me time to find the room fuse issue. It ended up being a LED pod that I put into the trunk as a trunk light underneath the amp rack. I took it out and no issues since.

Continuing on towards the headlight build, I needed to modify the projectors to my liking. First up was to get the shields painted for the passive demon eyes. The Morimotos were easy because they have 6 screws on each that hold the shield and lens in place. The G5rs however needed to be masked off due to them being riveted together.

1569262943234.jpg

1569262950952.jpg

1569262963165.jpg

With the shields ready to be painted, I wanted to do 1 last thing to the Mini h1 shields. These may be used in the high beam location (not sure yet) and will only be on when the high beams are on or flash to pass. I didn't want to hook up the solenoids so I dropped them down and tied them into place using some tie wire.

1569262970641.jpg

Once painted, it was time to unmask the G5rs and put the lens back in. I also test fitted the 7.0s back together to see how they turned out.

1569262996012.jpg

1569263004295.jpg

1569262999200.jpg

Looking good I was still not done modifying the 7.0s. First up was to drill a small hole in the bottom of the lens holder for the bottom demon eye. I just kind of eyeballed it with a marker lol. It won't be seen and it will be ok if they don't perfectly match.

20190923_142619.jpg

1569263026393.jpg

With the eyes test fitted in, I wanted to see how they looked.

1569263050465.jpg

Ooo I can't wait to get these in :love:. Almost ready to go in, I still needed to do 1 last thing to the 7.0s before they were ready.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I needed to take a little bit of metal out of the bulb holder. They were just a little to slim inside to fit a Halogen h1 bulb. I want to keep halogen in the high beam location as a just in case thing lol. I took my dremel with a small metal etching cylinder and widened the openings just enough to slide the bulbs in without touching.

1569263033169.jpg

1569263041959.jpg

With both of them done, you can see just how little had to be removed. Now both sets of projectors are ready to go into the headlights. I will permanently attach the demon eyes once I get a better feel for placement inside the housings.

With the projectors ready, it was time to work on the control board. I needed to have multiple things control the same set of LEDs. I figured the best way to do it was with diodes. I dove right in and soldered up a decent looking board and was ready to test it. To keep the individual controlers from resting on the board I cut the tips off of some rubber shelf peg caps. This not only keeps the boards elevated so the don't short out but it also acts as little buffers while driving around.

1569263092036.jpg

1569263099280.jpg

To test it out it was time for me to make the indicator array. This will be located in the cab of the car so I can see what the headlights are doing and in what position. It was built as common positive and 10 individual grounds. Once tested it was "potted" with hot glue to help the solder joints out and to give the wires some help to stay together some lol.

1569263128941.jpg

Now I don't know what the hell happened but the first board didn't work right. I was getting some bad interference between everything even with diodes everywhere. I thought maybe it was some of the soldering and maybe killing some diodes. I took everything back off of the board and started from scratch. I should have done some testing before I dove right in :(. 40+ diodes out the window but oh well.

After several hours of trial and error, I don't think it was the diodes in the first place but in the over all wiring/design. Even with diodes hard wired in, I was still getting feedback and interference. What I ended up having to do was to add relays into the mix. I have a bunch of these small relays from when I had my Eclipse and figured I'd use them. I like the final board a lot better anyway because I won't have to solder and desolder things when/if they go bad.

20190923_142651.jpg

With everything acting exactly how I want it to, I'm now done with the electrical side of the board. I need to make the housing and do the connectors for easy-to-use wiring inside the car. I think I'm making great time to have this done by the 1st of the year.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Well, I haven't updated in a long time lol. I have lost the use of my tablet which I did 90% of my work and research on so having to use the laptop has slowed me down. I have pretty much taken the past few months off from working on the car other than standard maintenance. She is now sitting over 190k miles. of coarse beings that my wife has been driving it there was no pic taken at the 190k mark smh. It's ok though, she didn't know lol.

Since my last post, I did get the retrofit done. I posted some pics in the "what did you do" thread but not many. I'm not even sure if I showed what all was done to the inside of the housings or not but I'll be sure to grab some pics the next time I have them open. I'm not 100% happy with everything at the moment. The new lenses don't fit correctly, I have a broken adjuster that causes one of the projectors to bounce, the demon eyes are hard to see during the day while in the on and breathing modes and only slightly more visable while in full show mode, some of the drivers for the halos are having issues, and the buckets are so old that while trying to get the new lenses on I ended up breaking one of them in a couple of spots.

To fix these issues I'll have to get out to the junk yard at some point to get a set of both headlights and tail lights. The headlights shouldn't take long to move things around but I will be rebuilding and replacing a few things while there. i just recieved an order of 720 Cree p4 red LEDs and these should be plenty bright enough to be seen during the day (I hope).

89710491_4132382243453986_8130864280967839744_o.jpg

The current LEDs that are in there are 20ma while these new ones are 70ma. 1 of these new Crees are brighter than 3 of the current LEDs lol. I used what I had at the time and I mainly use the 20ma for testing and development anyway lol. It's cheaper to destroy the 20ma ones if things don't go right :LOL:. These will also be used to build my tail lights and 3rd brake light. The plan is to shave the spoiler brake light and build a high mount rear window brake light. I know they have strips for this but I don't trust their brightness during the day and my rear window is tinted to I need it to be bright. I may not get to building the tail lights this year but I do plan on doing the 3rd brake light.

So far the plans for this year are:
-Build a high mount Brake light
-Redo the headliner
-Black out the interior
-Replace the amp rack with a redesign
-Replace the sub enclosure with a redesign
-Hopefully find a working headunit with a working cd player.

I'm sure there are some other things that will come up but most of this list are things that I can work on during the weekends and not have the car down for long. Things will be easier once my wife and I get a 3rd vehicle. Once we find her a car the Mazda will be home full time so it wouldn't matter how long it had to be down. I have a few things that I need to finish up on the Avalanche before I can start back on the Mazda but hopefully I can get started on these soon.

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I don't always reply to this thread, but I always enjoy keeping up with all your progress sir - keep up the good work and updates :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Are you the guy who has different light modes for the headlights? I can't remember but I saw it in YouTube.

I think you changed your user icon!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I don't always reply to this thread, but I always enjoy keeping up with all your progress sir - keep up the good work and updates :D
Thanks! I love the 6 and not many people do a whole lot with them anymore so I try to make mine stand out :LOL:
Are you the guy who has different light modes for the headlights? I can't remember but I saw it in YouTube.

I think you changed your user icon!
I sure am and Yes I did change my icon. The red lights deserved to be the spotlight at this time lol. Hopefully before long I can have the engine in the spotlight. Sadly that's still going to be a little bit. I have some new things to figure out for it to all work as planned. No big deal though, I'll get things sorted soon.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Looking really good! Seriously loving all the light mods that video was f*****g awesome!!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts