Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Rally Racer
1,911 Posts
Howdy Ray, looking great. I love your posts. I saw you enter the 6OTM contest and you commented on rear sag.
How about trying a set of Energy Suspension spring isolators. part# 9.6104G
They give about 5/8" for <$20.
Two bolts to install per side. You put them right on top of your upper factory isolators.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Howdy Ray, looking great. I love your posts. I saw you enter the 6OTM contest and you commented on rear sag.
How about trying a set of Energy Suspension spring isolators. part# 9.6104G
They give about 5/8" for <$20.
Two bolts to install per side. You put them right on top of your upper factory isolators.

Thanks Doc!! That's great info and I would have never known!

I'm not sure how much longer the stock set up is going to be on the car atm. I have to switch to coilovers some time this year in prep of the mods to come. I even have plans of upgrading the breaks (again) to speed 6 all around before next summer for better holding power. Beings that it's an 03 it has the smallest brakes of the bunch lol.

Regardless you should do a writeup on a cheap fix for the sagging springs for all to see.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
LED Fun!!

It's been a busy couple of weeks here at the house for me. Between family fun, fishing for a day, and working many projects at once, I'm making some progress on the 6. I rushed getting the seats into the car (see walkthrough:wink2:) because of where they were sitting and I hadn't planned on doing the seats (or steering wheel for that matter) anytime soon. They were in the grand scheme of things but further down the road lol. I still need to finalize the seats but they function and they are out of the way of the deep freezer and they look good.

The steering wheel can wait. It's no where near as big as the seats are and no real rush on replacing it. Same as the retrofit. I'm not in a real rush to get it done because lights are working fine and I still need to gather and order parts for the build anyway lol. The way I see it, I have 3 1/2 - 4 years to get everything or most of everything done. Some things will trump others as the projects get done. I'm currently working on things that I know I won't have to change in the future or what's taking up the most space :grin2: Getting seats on a spur of the moment and having them in the house with my cat kinda trumped all lol.

While working on seats by day, I started working on things that I could do that were less noisy at night. That's when these glorious pieces were developed. I should have done them a while ago because this is my kind of therapy. I can get lost for hours dealing with LEDs and custom lighting. They started out chrome last week. I mainly got them because of the clear lenses and the reflectors built into the housings. The ones I have on the car now have the reflectors built into the lenses and any custom work would have been lost behind them.

First order of things were to get the bad boys open. I used my wood burning kit with the hot knife tip on it to get them most of the way open. Between the hot knife and a regular snap blade, they came apart without a hassle.

1553021729529.jpg

Once both of them were open, it was time to get the board shape and size. I needed to see what kind of room I had to work with plus I needed a templet that I could use to lay down for the shape on the plexiglass.

1553021734966.jpg

After drawing many designs and testing them on a piece of floor mat that was cut to shape, I finally decided that with what little room there was, simple was best.

1553021742186.jpg

Using my LED spacing tool, I was able to lay out the holes of the legs of the LEDs.

1553021768205.jpg

With the design aspect of things squared away, it was time to get the housings ready and to get the plexiglass cut to shape. To remove the chrome from the housings, it was off to a bleach bath. As you can see in the pic, that bleach just eats the chrome off of the plastic.

1553021816690.jpg

After about an hour the housings were chrome free ans the plexiglass was made to shape using my homemade multi tool station. I used the scroll saw to get close to shape and then finished it up with the mini router table and disk sander. This made everything so easy compared to just using a cut off wheel like how I did them in the past lol.

1553023303302.jpg

Next up was drilling the holes for the LEDs. I took my paper templates and used double sided scotch tape to lay them down on top of the plexiglass. Using my dremel tool with a 1/16 bit, I hand drilled all 152 holes in the board. Once that was done, the housings were painted as well as the backs of the boards. For the front of the boards, I used black reflective tape. They covered most of the board with just leaving slivers of exposed plastic. One would have to really get close to them to see but once on the car, I don't think it will matter. With the boards prepped it was time to populate the boards with LEDs. The LEDs sit right on top of the board with as much leg as possible going through the plexi. I folded the legs over there I needed to make connections between the LEDs. Each led is folded over to the next unless it was where power and resistors needed to be.

1553021941864.jpg

Starting with the folded legs, I soldered those connections up to keep the LEDs in place. Turning to the power side of things, I used some 22ga solid core wire and connected all the + where they needed to be. Finally it was the resistor placement and ground side. Using the legs of the resistors I soldered in the ground. With some small drops of superglue, everything was now complete!!

1553021976329.jpg

These turned out much cleaner then what I had done in the past. Granted the ones bellow had many more LEDs as well as 2 different colors.

1553021984715.jpg

1553021994048.jpg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
With everything soldered and looking good. It was time to seal the lights back up and get them to their final painting.

1553022023721.jpg

Once dry, the lenses were cleaned up and they were done!!

1552960294591.jpg

Here you can see that reflective tape really pop and set the lights off.

1552960297344.jpg

Here are just the rest of the pics of everything running.

1552960300257.jpg

1552960302998.jpg

1552960311534.jpg

While I had the sealer out, I fixed up these rear lights. They were delivered to me with the lenses coming off already due to the cheap sealant they had used. I had planed on doing my own arrays in these but I wasn't ready to run pwms in the car to give me dual brightness. When I go to do the tail lights I will have to run pwms in the back of the car anyway so I'll just address them then.

1553022763655.jpg

I still have some electronics to make before I can put the side markers in. I need to order some project board and some housings. I'll probably look into the Rubbermaid snap tight things that have the rubber seal on the top. I can get those off of a shelf and they should withstand the heat of the voltage regulators and pwms.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
I'm really liking the updates you have!Can't wait to see pics of them installed :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's been a slow progress on the 6 as far as working on it. I've been collecting parts over the last week's as well as finishing up the electronics side of the side markers. I don't have them installed as of yet due to not having a left side fender liner. It had never bothered me until I looked at where I could mount the control box on that side and had seen mud lol. None the less I grabbed one last weekend at the yard as well as some other cool mods for her. I'm going back out there this Sat to grab a few more mods.

Once I grab the last few things I want/need, I'll start actually working on her again. I think I have some cool little treats for the community coming up. The best part of these little things is the fact that they can be done for very cheap and are OEM parts from different vehicles.

So far what I have on hand is:
RX 8 steering wheel with clockspring
Ford fusion fog projectors
Washer squirters from a Monte Carlo.

Things yet to get:
OEM LED tail light bulbs from an Impala
Electro/hydrolic power steering pump from Valvo S40
Fog light switch from some Mazda lol (want to find a dash mount one for my open spot)

Things that I may need/still looking into:
Power steering lines from the Volvo S40. This is mainly due to how they run. They are both ran like how our high pressure side runs underneath the oil pan behind the crank pulley. If the high pressure side fits our rack, it's simple. If not then custom lines will have to be made.

Washer reservoir from the same Volvo. This would be needed due to how big ours is and where the Volvo pump sits factory. It sits right behind the front bumper on the passenger side and if IIRC, it's washer is mounted right above it. With an electric pump it doesn't really matter where it's mounted as long as you get lines to it but I kind of like the location that it sits factory.

Power steering rack, power steering rack, power steering rack. I hate how big the factory 6 turn radius is. I would like to try and get the rack out of the v6 6 that's currently in my local yard and try different racks. Parking lots are always jam packed here in Jacksonville and I feel like I'm almost going to back into a car behind me by the time I'm able to start swinging the car out lol. It's about the only thing that I hate about the car. I'm going to start crawling under many vehicles and trying their lock to lock out (where I can lol) to see if we can't get something a little better under ours. I'd be happy with another 5° or something smh:grin2: IF I can find something that will bolt up to our car and column, I'll definitely be grabbing it and sharing here.

As you can see, I have some work ahead of me but all in all for the end goal, some of its needed and some is for cool factor. Such as this teaser pic

1553983450040.jpg

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
So, some of the things on my list didn't pan out as planned. I don't think I'll need some of the things on my last list after doing some looking and testing around.

The Led modules that I was after were not in any of the impalas that I had seen. I think that information was wrong but I did find them in a 2011 mustang. However, after fighting the car to get them out, it comes to find out that we can't use them without major modifications.
s-l1600 (8).jpg

To me they didn't look too bad but one would have to remove some of the metal around the tail light housings on the body, remove or try to relocate 1 of the studs that hold the corner lights on, and remove the overhang around the bulb socket mounts on all 4 of the lights. If one really wanted to give it a go it would have been doable but not worth my effort because eventually I'll be making my own LED tail lights.

The power steering lines were way off. The lines on the S40 will not work at all. They connect to the rack like how some A.C. lines attach to the compressor with 1 bolt in the center of a flange that has both the pressure and return lines. This isn't a big deal because it's not hard to have custom lines made or even to make my own. While on the subject of the pump, I held off on picking 1 up. That will be a little later this year where I can focus on the power steering mods. Eventually I will be replacing the factory 6 pump with the electrohydrolic pump. This will free up the power steering pump location for other fun things for those that want/need it. At 1st it will just be an idler pulley but I'm sure I could run a 2nd alternator or even something like an AMR500 supercharger it it's place. Even with an idler pulley, it should free up a little bit of hp from the engine not having to drive the power steering. There is a slight trade off because the alt will have to work a little harder due to the electric pump. It pulls 80 amps when it kicks on.

AMR500 supercharger
HTB12NcUJpXXXXbLXpXXq6xXFXXXH.jpg

The fog light switch is tricky. I think I'll just find one that looks close to our traction control switch from a different make and hope it lights up the same color lol. So far I've only seen turn signal stock switches on the mazdas currently in the junk yard. None the less I'll find something to use that looks factory.

I won't need the washer reservoir from the S40 because it's on the drivers side where our intake is.

The Rack. I haven't even tried anything for this yet. The Fusion has about the same "turns" from lock to lock on the steering wheel as ours. This was my 1st and only car that I tried so far so idk. It's a pain in the ass but I think I'm going to just drop this dream lol. While it would be nice to get a little extra, it's not anything drastic at this time for me to worry about it. I need to stay on task and keep things moving forward.

With that said, I was able to install the side markers and their control modules. I lost a week fighting the electronic side of things. The cheap pwms that I had on hand were not working correctly. I forgot that I had fought with them before and I never updated my notes. I had the correct schematics but I also had 3 others smh. Luckily I went to HIDplanet and saw where we had figured it out and found the correct schematic. I will be ordering different pwms for the future so I don't go through this again lol.

1555273734373.jpg
1555273748783.jpg
1555273815920.jpg

I was also able to install the lower rear bumper lights. These were easy enough to install but I had to drill 2 holes on each side for them to even slid into place. It wasn't bad and can't be seen at all. I also had to use a self tapping screw and some washers to make everything stay in place. For my 03 the factory rear reflectors snapped into place like the front side markers. The led bumper lights have 2 plastic studs on them for screws I guess. Anyway that's how I got it to work lol. It was just 3 wires on the lights that I ran through one of the new holes in the bumper and up into the tail light hole. I just spliced right into the factory wiring. I soldered the wrong positives at first (and in the pic lol) but later corrected it.

1555511086461.jpg
1555511090902.jpg
1555511212151.jpg
20190414_163344.jpg
20190414_163220.jpg
To me the car is starting to come together. I still have a lot of work to do but she's getting there. I will be starting a calender within the next week or so to help me stay on track as well as set times for each mod and/or maintenance. This way I'm not overwhelmed with parts laying around while more are still coming in for both my wife's Beetle and my 6. It's my son's birthday this weekend as well as Easter so the next couple of weekends will be busy with family. I can say that the next 2 months (May and June) are planned for the 6.

May:
Maintenance on the 6 for family trip to NC. 500 miles there and 500 miles back. Need to replace a CV axle (busted inner boot), the front suspension, front brakes (just started hearing the wear indicators) change the trans fluid and install a trans cooler. Then get it aligned. It shouldn't take me all month but maintenance will be my main focus. Oh and a final oil change before the trip lol.

June:
Days= New amp rack build and possible new box build. I will build a new enclosure eventually but just not sure when. My main concern at the time is the amp rack. I have everything for it taking up room except 1 switch, 2 actuators, and the slides. I'll drive around systemless for a little bit but it will be fine. The longer I take on it to make it rattle proof the better.

Nights= Retrofit. I have ordered new lenses, brackets, demon eyes, all from overseas so it will take some time to get here. I'm waiting for a sale from lightwerks to order the rest. I have mini h1 7.0s for the wife to go in her car but need some odds and ends so I'll order it all when the sale hits. I still need extensions, DS2 bulbs, mini h1 projectors and the G5r projectors. By June I will have all of the odds and ends needed to do both.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Hey gang!! I figured I'd keep this thread alive with some updates. As usual it's been busy but things are starting to settle down a little bit. The schedule I have for the car is being shifted around a little bit. Our family vacation isn't until the end of July now so it bought me some time for the maintenance. The 31st is the last day of school for my son so the car will not be needed as a daily driver. I can finally give her some downtime and get things done without worrying if I'm going to have it ready by Monday lol.

The transmission has been giving me some issues lately where it wants to take it's time to shift into drive. I have reverse instantly but drive not so much. It use to only do it when it was really cold outside but now that it's already warm in FL and it's doing it more and more, I'm a little worried about it. I'm going this weekend to get a trans cooler and I'm going to see how many V6s are in the yard and what years. I'll start by changing the fluid, installing the trans cooler with an inline filter. If that doesn't make the trans happy then I'll have no choice but to get a used tranny from the yard. If I go that route I'll split the trans open to see where and how hard it would be for a diyer to replace the screen inside the transmission.

With that said, I'm not going to worry about keeping to a schedule as of now. I'll work on the things that I can without having to have downtime. The amp rack will just wait until August when we get back from vacation.

I have been working on a little something and had some progress on the grand goal however. Awhile ago I picked a pair Ford Fusion fog projectors for $10. These work great with HIDs and are still being recommend by people on HIDPlanet for retrofitting and will work a hell of a lot better than the lower fogs that I currently have. The ones that came with the aftermarket bezels are kind of a joke and had started to rust 3 months after I installed them.
1558365302364.jpg

The fusion fog lights on there own would have been great upgrade but I wanted more:wink2:. The 1st thing I had to do is get them fully broken down. This would give me the access I needed to do all of the modifications I wanted to get done. Plus with them being on a car for x amount of years they could use the deep cleaning.
1558365307913.jpg

Once I had everything apart, it was time to get the modifications done. Here you can see that the projector has a foreground limiter stamped into the front half of the projector. I wanted just a little bit more foreground so I needed to cut it about where the line is. The little tab on the bottom also needed to be removed. Once the tab was gone, I was able to drill a hole in the bottom of the cutoff shield as close to the projector lens as I could. I also needed to drill a hole out of the bottom of the projector to pass a connector through.
20190520_111758.jpg

1558365318143.jpg

1558365320741.jpg

Next up was some cleaning and paint. I wanted to have passive demon eyes during the day and brilliant red demon eyes for at night. To accomplish both, the shields needed to be painted. The painted shields during the day will catch sunlight and certain angles and produce a slight red tint. They also help reflect the color of the LED and will help it stand out more. Once the paint was dry, it was a matter of attaching the LED in place. For this I wanted to be able to replace the LED if it ever went out. I was going to use JB weld but I just ended up using some aluminum hvac duct tape and black rtv. These are some of the few things that will stick to almost anything lol. I also used the rtv to seal the hole in the bottom of the projector while at it.
1558365356267.jpg

1558365358883.jpg

Finally, with the rtv cured and everything looking good, it was time to put the projector back together. I used more black rtv to seal the 2 halfs as well as for the lens. I will let them sit for the next couple of days befoe I mess with them again at this point.
1558365371001.jpg

1558365373827.jpg

I still need to pull the bezels off of the car and look at how I'm going to mount them. The fiberglass on the bezels are kind of weak at some points so I know I'll have to be careful. All and all, I'm happy with how they turned out. I'll start doing all of that this sometime week. And hey, thanks to @DrFeelGood , I know where to get the switch I need and how to wire it up:smile2:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Front suspension funish

Well, I have been on a non stop working spree on this 6 trying to get it ready for our trip. June I took care of the trans and while having the bumper off, I figured I'd work on other things. I posted all of those in the "what did you do today" thread lol.

Once the 4th of July got closer, I needed to have the car to be able to drive back and forth to GA where we had our 4th celebration. It was nice to get some of the things done that I've been wanting to do but also needed the small break for the 4th of July wekend. We had a great time as always but it's a lot of work that my brothers and I go through each year as far as prep, safety, and clean up.

Once the 4th was over and done with, it was time to get back on the car. This round it was onto the suspension, tires and brakes. The car had a rattle in the front end on the left side. Without really looking into it before hand I figured I'd just change all of the control arms, tie rods, and links. This would have given me a great fresh starting point for the front end. I also knew that the left inner CV joint needed to be replaced so I started on that side. I was finally ready to instal the 16pc Detroit Axle front end kit that I've had laying around since last summer smh.

Simple right? Well that's what I had thought anyway. I had replaced the right side 4 years ago and it wasn't a bad job so I dived right into the left side to get the party started. I first soaked everything in areokroil before I even busted the 1st bolt loose. However this didn't even prep me for the hell that was to be discovered later.

What turned out to be a simple switch of parts turned into a small money pit and stress factor. I had no issues getting any of the nuts and bolts out but getting parts apart was a different story. The front control arm was so stuck that nothing that I had at the house was touching it. I tried heat, soaking overnight, more heat, several different ball joint tools and it didn't want to come out. The shaft of the ball joint had starting to bend and mushroom with the tools I was working with at the house so I figured id take the knuckle off with the control arm still in it and use a press. I ended up having to take the axle out along with the control arm stuck to the knuckle as well SMFH.

Ok, not so bad. Still had 3 weeks out before we are due to be in SC at this point so I still had plenty of time. I took the knuckle 3 houses down from me where my friend has a press. If there is a tool I don't have, there is a 90% chance that my good friend does. There are tools that I have that he doesn't so it all works out lol. Well that's when things get interesting. We couldn't press either of the parts out of the knuckle. They were so stuck that his press wasn't doing anything to it.

It was time to do drastic things at this point. I looked online to price a knuckle as a just in case thing and found Moog Loaded Knuckles on rock auto. With a price in mind, I decided to take the knuckle with me around town. The 1st shop I went to didn't even have a press. It was a local metal fab shop that I had seen before and never went to. 1 thing I learned there is not to go there again lol. The 2nd shop didn't even want to touch it after I explained what all I had already tried to get the parts separated. The 3rd and final shop that I took it to said that they would charge $80 bucks an hour to separate everything. I told them what all I had already tried and and he said that it would more than likely take him a couple of hours. Well that couple of hours would have been $160 + tax and that didn't even include a new hub and wheel bearing. I told him thanks but no thanks and came back to the house.

The Moog problem solver knuckel was only $189 before tax/shipping so there was no way that I was going to fight the old tired knuckle anymore. I figured why not, brand new suspention and axle ready to go in anyway I might as well. Me being me though, I try to replace things in pairs so I ordered the right side to match the left. This would give me brand new everything minus struts on the front end (right side axle less than a year old) to give a fresh start. While waiting on the knuckles to arrive, I figured I would work on the rear brakes and paint all of the calipers.

The Moog and DA parts went together with no issues at all and everything felt good. I set an appointment for new tires and an alignment for this past Sat once I had gotten everyng back together. It was time for a test drive and to bed the new brake pads all around. I did my normal brake bedding procedure and wasn't getting a good petal. I drove it back home and noticed that the brake master was leaking. Ok, no big deal. It's Thursday night and I need to have the car at the tire shop on Saturday. I went to advanced and ordered a master cylinder to be delivered the following morning. Anywhere else would have been Monday or Tuesday before they had it in and I couldn't wait that long.

I got the new master cylinder in and started working on it right away. Had my friend come over and we flushed and bled the entire system. Everything was fine until the front left side. It was acting like it was somehow sucking air up even with the bleeder closed. We spent several more hours trying to work on the system to get a good petal. It was 10 pm and I needed to be at the tire shop at 7 am so we decided to toss the tires back on the car and worry about it after the appointment.

We fought with the system all day long on Saturday and still never got a good petal. I had even replaced the brake hose that I thought may have been collapsed on the inside. Still nothing. I decided maybe it was the caliper. I was up till midnight rebuilding the caliper in hopes that it was the cause. If not then I was at a loss. I needed the car ready by the 28th for our trip and here I am dealing with soft brakes. I can't drive on the highway like that so I was getting worried. I got on here and started to read around. After reading a bit, I was starting to suspect the master being pushed in slightly by the push rod in the booster. I got up the following morning and went to get some washers as spacers. Without even trying to bleed the system after the caliper rebuild, I went ahead and spaced the master away from the booster.

Now, I'm not sure what happened but all I know, at this very moment the car is 100% road worthy after bleeding the brakes!! With 1 week left to spare I can relax a little bit after being so stressed and kind of lost. All I can say is I'm ready for a vacation now lol.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Man, another great build thread! Just found this one of yours DJ, and you are doing some neat stuff. :) In particular, I really like the look of the LED runners/reflectors you've put together there.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thanks!! I have fun with my car. I try to keep a nice fix to mod ratio lol. Though hopefully soon enough I'll be done with the fix part and can concentrate on the mod/maintenance part. The only things wrong with my car at this moment is all of the oil leaks and while I had the car off of all 4s the past few weeks I noticed that the rear soft parts need to be replaced but I'm not too worried about it at the time being. The next big thing to take car of is the engine and trans. I'm tired of dealing with the leaks lol. They need to come out and be resealed or just swap a fresh non leaky engine in lol.

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
Great update and good hear you are on your way! Stories like yours is the reason why I'm not a huge fan of suspension and exhaust work. Sometimes it is just a royal PITA to get some parts apart and its even more frustrating when at a certain point you know if it hasn't been a certain part holding you up, you'd be done. Ah car life!!

And wow that is a lot of fireworks!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Lol, yeah it was a small show this year.

We just got back from vacation on Saturday the 3rd and the car did great for the most part!! We went just shy of 1400 miles on our trip. With driving that many miles I did notice a few things that are both good and some that need to be addressed.

The good:
▪The brake and suspention work were great and possibly saved the car from being totaled. Had someone cut me off from 2 lanes over to turn right in front of me as soon as we got into Raleigh NC. If I still had the hard shimmy under breaking with the old parts I may not have been able to avoid the accident.
▪The trans cooler helped the trans a lot!! The last time we made the drive the trans felt tired on I95 after about an hour. It acted as if it wanted to take it's time to want to pass. This was not the case this round lol. It had no issues wanting to go around slow goers.
▪ Even though I may have accidentally overfilled the A.C. system when I recharged it, it still worked flawlessly. It was a good thing to because ironically enough, the further North we went, the hotter it got lol. FL had a slight cool spell as we were leaving but SC and NC had been going through heat waves.

Now the Bad: while there were not any major issues, I do have some things that I would like to take care of.
▪Starter heat soak. If I had been driving for a while, the starter would drag and not want to turn the engine over like it should. While at rest stops we would keep the car running to keep the car cool and to avoid having to sit for a bit for the starter to cool. I'm not sure what to do for this as of yet. Everything gets hot inside the engine compartment and it's not as easy as making a heat shield. I might start by wrapping the exhaust to see if that will help with compartment temps.
▪ There is still some front end noises. I'm thinking that it's the sway bar bushings and possibly the struts. It kind of has to be because it's the only things I haven't changed as of yet. I do plan on getting coilovers at some point but I also want/need the air assisted lift as well so it will be about another $1200 on top of the coilovers.

All in all the car is great!! Even though she leaks oil like no tomorrow, she handled the trip like the chap she is!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Even though she leaks oil like no tomorrow, she handled the trip like the champ she is!!
FTFY ;)

Mine's the same way. It runs awesome, but leaks like a damn sieve! But hey, I have automatic rust protection for the entire passenger side of my frame! ;)

I actually have valve cover gaskets, VVC gaskets, and water pump cam gasket for the top end leaks. Hopefully that'll take care of most of the drips. Also got the front crank main seal in case that ends up being a large enough contributor to tackle, but I'm hoping it's not so bad. I just gotta wait for a weekend that's not 108°F+.... ugh, Phoenix is a pain in the ass for working on your car for a good 4-5 months of the year. :irate:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
FTFY ;)

Mine's the same way. It runs awesome, but leaks like a damn sieve! But hey, I have automatic rust protection for the entire passenger side of my frame! ;)

I actually have valve cover gaskets, VVC gaskets, and water pump cam gasket for the top end leaks. Hopefully that'll take care of most of the drips. Also got the front crank main seal in case that ends up being a large enough contributor to tackle, but I'm hoping it's not so bad. I just gotta wait for a weekend that's not 108°F+.... ugh, Phoenix is a pain in the ass for working on your car for a good 4-5 months of the year. :irate:
Lol, I have a feeling that mine just needs to come out for a full reseal. It's not something I'm wanting to do so I have a slightly different plan in the works. I just need the engine to last until next summer when I have a fresh engine to go into it. If I need to do it sooner then that will be ok too :grin2:

I wouldn't want to be out in that heat either. FL is bad enough for me lol. I try to do most things during the evening when it's cooler. Now that school is going back on Monday, I'll have some time during the day and then the evenings to work on the car. The next upcoming mods I can do during the evening and still have the car available for the next day.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Hey gang!! I have just a little update this round. Not a whole lot has been happening on the car here recently. School started back I up so I'm running around all day long lol. It's ok though, I don't mind driving my 6.

It has developed an odd issue with the room fuse blowing. I took everything that I did (LEDs in the map/reading lights and doors) and it still wants to blow the fuse. It happened when we had a real nasty high heat index week so I need to take a look to see what's going on underneath the panels and headliner. I had read about melted wires before but the thread went nowhere. Other than that the car is still great.

On another note, I am happy to say that I'm 99% done buying headlight parts!!! The only thing left to get is a bunch of waterproof connectors and the proper crimper as well as a 2nd set of headlights from a junkyard. Im so excited to finally have all of the main things here and inside the house!!

1566676503219.jpg

The only thing that I have that's not pictured is a new set of lenses. The build list is long but it will be well worth it in the end. I couldn't wait to start messing around with what I have plus I wanted to see if it all worked so....

1566676509289.jpg

1566676519356.jpg

1566676526566.jpg

So far everything is working as planned. I need to make some diode bridges to make everything work properly in the end but it's not a big deal. In prep of doing tail lights at some point, I'll go ahead and make the main control board to go into the rear of the car that will work as a power distribution center. I will need to keep the run, brake, and the 2 different controllers running the same set of LED arrays from interfering with each other in the long run and these bridges will help with that.

Now time to start modifying the projectors before they get put in. One hell of a headlight build is about to be underway!!!!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looking interesting!

Sorry about the wiring issue, hopefully you'll figure out what it is soon.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts