Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wanna hear what kind of solutions you guys have for the daytime lights after HID installation. I'm talking about the single filament HIDs, usually turned on only at night.

Or should I not care about them burning out and just use them day and night since it's lifetime warranty on the Xtec HIDs anyways??

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Wire your foglights as the daytime lights. That's probably the best way to go. I'm assuming you don't have the 2006 model.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I've been running my HIDs for over 2 years. It's a rare occassion that I turn them off. They run day or night, from temperatures ranging from -20 to 120, without a single problem.

I ran foglights as DRLs for a short while. Ironically enough they didn't last long and they were regular Halogen. I decided not to bother with replacing them and just use the lows all the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm....well I'll probably be wiring DRLs to the foglights then since I need to get foglights to fill the holes in the Accolade Aero front anyways. Btw, I don't have any stock foglights.

Any suggestions on aftermarket foglights??? I think I need at least 3.5" to 4" diameter foglights to fit the holes.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, since you car doesn't have foglights, the easiest solution is to disable your DRL and just turn on your HID's whenever you drive cause when I said use your foglights as DRL's, I only meant that for the ones that are integrated into the headlight assembly. If you make lower foglights into DRL's, cops will see it right away and know you modded your car. If you just use your HID's and leave them on during the day, you'll be less likely to draw their attention (as long as your HID's are leveled properly and aren't blinding anyone).

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks wing woo....

sorry I didn't understand at first but now I know the one beside the high beam is the foglight. Yes it would be very convenient to wire DRLs to the foglights in the headlight assembly and use HIDs on the low beam at night.

ok lower foglights would be totally seperate then.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Just be careful if you use fogs as your DRLs. I tried to do the same, but i ended up melting a bit of my housing. Someone else here had the same prob, but I haven't heard anything else on how to fix it and when I did a search, found nothing useful for my situation. Right now I just have HID's on/off depending on how much light there is and no DRL's.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just be careful if you use fogs as your DRLs. I tried to do the same, but i ended up melting a bit of my housing. Someone else here had the same prob, but I haven't heard anything else on how to fix it and when I did a search, found nothing useful for my situation. Right now I just have HID's on/off depending on how much light there is and no DRL's.
[/b]
that was me, i got a little melting around the fogs. but its no big deal, it stops and you won't even notice it unless you look really closely. i think its a design flaw but oh well, what can ya do? <_<

i use the fogs all the time whenever my hids are on, cause if find it looks funny with just hids on, and haven't had the melt get any larger.

i use my lower bumper sport fogs as DRL although they're not hooked up right now due to a dead bulb. they turn on whenever my car turns on, and turns off as soon as the parking lights go on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My opinion?
simply disable DRL, there's no point if you don't have fogs.
If you want to use it to the auxilliary lights (third from the outside), You'd need to buy relays (quoted $50 /, and you need one for each side)

If anything, just run your HIDs as DRLs, it'll burn out a little faster, but it's one less thing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
having HID running from a DRL unit is bad for ballast, i know it's lifetime warranty, but having it shipped to ur door + duties/brokerage + tax, that's like paying quite a lot... my suggestion (like other people's), go and disable ur DRL.... Spidy (in Vanc) wrote the how-to in his website... go and PM him and ask him....

if u dont disable ur DRL and dont turn on ur low beam at daytime, it's bad for ballast, cz DRL (from DRL unit) IIRC is 1/2-powered high beam...

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
hey guys, i kno this thread was from last year... but i have a couple questions...

is it illegal to drive without DRLs? can i get pulled over for it? or ticketed for it IF i get pulled over?

and are the DRLs 194s?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Just be careful if you use fogs as your DRLs. I tried to do the same, but i ended up melting a bit of my housing. Someone else here had the same prob, but I haven't heard anything else on how to fix it and when I did a search, found nothing useful for my situation. Right now I just have HID's on/off depending on how much light there is and no DRL's.[/b]

I have similar problem with my foglight housing. The driver-side reflector coat (silver coat) is feeled off. So, when I turn on the fogs, the brightness is different from the one-side to other. I think the only way to fix the problem is replacing the housing. I looked for used one, but it was hard to find one. So I left it alone for now and don't use fog nowadays. :(

·
Registered
168 Posts
Right now I just turn on my parking lights as DRL's and turn the dial a second time to turn on my HID's when it's darker out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yeah, ever since i put in my HID's I also wanted to get some DRL...so I opted for the Piaa P1 multifunction lamps...Had it on my car for a while and its always on, dont have the worry of melting my power wires since its direct to the battery and then to the control module and its easy to change the bulb if it does blow....I gotta recommend Piaa sealed lamp systems...there probly the best built aftermarket lamps out there!!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I've got aftermarket low fogs that I've wired up as DRLs. I can also use my integrated fogs as DRLs since I have them operating independently from the low-beams.

These two seem to be the easiest options for having DRLs with aftermarket HIDs.

BTW for '06 models and beyond you should not be disabling your DRLs. The DRL circuit was moved from the low-beam to the high-beam for '06 and beyond.

The DRL disablement procedure only applies to 03-05 models

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
OK i'm not planning on disabling anything... but i'm getting really confused now....

the two inner most lights (closest to the grill) are the DRL right? and then the small little bulb in the corner of that light, is the parking light right?

so... what do u mean, they wired the DRL to my high beams on my 06? :scratchhead:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
About this Discussion
35 Replies
17 Participants
zoomzoomfan
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing