Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's say, you blew your engine from shooting nitrous or something else that voided the warranty on it and your stuck paying $4,000-$5,000 for a new, FACTORY engine. Why not get something a little more.. Noble..

For $4,400, from AER, builder of Noble 3.0L Duratec engines, you get:

We use a custom forged aluminum piston from Wiseco which results in a compression ratio of about 8.5:1

The rods are Scat's 4340 forged H-beam with ARP 2000 bolts. (These are not the Q-Lite version)

Standard green top, 42 lb Ford Lightning injectors.

In terms of balancing and blueprinting:
Each crank is rebalanced to match the weight of the new forged rods and pistons. Each block is checked for deck height, main bore size, etc. Heads and cranks and inspected as well. Due to small variations in piston size, we measure each and every one in our climate controlled quality dept and then make very closely matched sets of six. After this, each block is honed to match the set of six pistons. We do this in order to maintain very tight control over the piston-to-bore clearance to reduce the possiblilty of piston slap from the increased clearance requirements of a forged piston.

Other items which are different:
1) The camshafts are a unique profile with increased lift and duration.
2) The block is specially machined to install piston squirters on each cylinder.
3) The accessory drive setup requires a non-stock front cover.
4) We use a special dual frequency damper for engine smoothness. This is not an underdrive or lightweight type change.
5) Lighter weight 19 lb flywheel (SVT flywheel)

I would use the difference in price from the AER engine and buy Mazda6S VCT actuators, oil control valves, MAF and cam/valve covers. Then you have a variable cam timing Noble 3.0L that would work with the stock ECU with the correct tune (For the larger injectors). That or retain the stock 21/24lb injectors and just have a bitching N/A engine.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
What kind of power difference does it have? I know the Twin trubo Duratec in it is around 350.

EDIT. I suppose i can do the research myself right? :)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What kind of power difference does it have?

EDIT. I suppose i can do the research myself right? :)
[/b]
It's setup for twin turbos, with the lower compression ratio, even with hotter cams, I would imagine, N/A it would be close to ours, maybe a tiny bit higher or lower. Though with the lighter and balanced internals, it would be quicker to rev.

TT Noble owners have achieved upwards of 524 RWHP. That places the engine power around 600 BHP.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
EDIT: Oops, didn't read the last sentence!

That would be something though. Maybe if someone blows their engine they can be the guinea pig and do this...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I got a number and a name of who to contact in AER about the Noble engines (Notice they don't list them on their product catalog), but all I am really thinking about is a short block assembly (The block itself, crankshaft, rods, bearings and pistons fitted and assembled). You consider forged pistons are about $800 for our 3.0L from Ross or Diamond and $600-$650 for Pauter forged rods and about another $100 for bearings and your looking around $1,500 in parts alone ($1,600 if you remembered the ARP rod bolts). When you strip the heads, cams, intake manifolds, injectors, flywheel, harmonic balancer, water pump and oil pan from that AER price, your down around $1,500-$2,000 for the short block assembly, I have to confirm that though.

Though that gets you thinking, I can take my heads off in my driveway (And buy the ARP head studs) and drop the block out, swap in the AER short block, slip the heads back on (with new head gaskets) and bolt everything else back on. Jrsy is probably shooting himself now :D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well I got a number and a name of who to contact in AER about the Noble engines (Notice they don't list them on their product catalog), but all I am really thinking about is a short block assembly (The block itself, crankshaft, rods, bearings and pistons fitted and assembled). You consider forged pistons are about $800 for our 3.0L from Ross or Diamond and $600-$650 for Pauter forged rods and about another $100 for bearings and your looking around $1,500 in parts alone ($1,600 if you remembered the ARP rod bolts). When you strip the heads, cams, intake manifolds, injectors, flywheel, harmonic balancer, water pump and oil pan from that AER price, your down around $1,500-$2,000 for the short block assembly, I have to confirm that though.

Though that gets you thinking, I can take my heads off in my driveway (And buy the ARP head studs) and drop the block out, swap in the AER short block, slip the heads back on (with new head gaskets) and bolt everything else back on. Jrsy is probably shooting himself now :D
[/b]

Do it! Put those unemployment checks into good use.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Bump...

Now where would you go about ordering this engine?
[/b]
Hope everything is ok...

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
69 Posts
that really sounds interesting.. i might have to look into that like asap.. for the upcoming Kellys AutoSport Project 6 once the bimmer is finished

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
blackmagik_13
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing