Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 sportwagon, it was running great and well maintained. One morning it started to misfire, the engine light started to flash, but before I could get to the garage it stalled. It is now knocking and will stall and not restart once the motor is warm. My mechanic says the motor needs to be replaced. Here's my problem, I bought it used and still owe 10 G's on it, so I don't want to spend too much on it, I have not found anyone who can get a motor under $3500 for this car. My question is can I use an engine from a ford vehicle to put in my mazda, they seem to be much easier to find. Thanks

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can use a 3.0 V6 engine from a Ford Fusion.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a 2004 sportwagon, it was running great and well maintained. One morning it started to misfire, the engine light started to flash, but before I could get to the garage it stalled. It is now knocking and will stall and not restart once the motor is warm. My mechanic says the motor needs to be replaced. Here's my problem, I bought it used and still owe 10 G's on it, so I don't want to spend too much on it, I have not found anyone who can get a motor under $3500 for this car. My question is can I use an engine from a ford vehicle to put in my mazda, they seem to be much easier to find. Thanks
Where are you located? In January I bought an 07 atx engine with 13,000 miles on it for $1700 delivered from Alabama to Michigan. Quotes to rebuild my dead 03 mtx engine were $2100 to $2500, but I decided I wanted the newer engine with all the oilpan and other upgrades.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can use a 3.0 V6 engine from a Ford Fusion.
Was this ever confirmed by anyone? I'm in the same boat - an '04 6 V6 with a shot motor. I found several '06 Fusion engines for $300-400 with under 50k miles and with warranty. But the Mazda motors are $1000 more. And since they have this known problem, I'm not thrilled about putting a used '04 motor in.

Thx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My motor finally went on me after 1500 miles from a pre cat. I need to know if i can buy a fusion or milan motor and use the block only and use my heads intake etc.. It would save me so much money

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Man I wish someone would go after Mazda/Ford on this......

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
i read a thread that i'm trying to remember where, that the bottom part of our motor is the same, only diff is the heads and up...you can thank Mazda for the heads-up.

there should be warning for used mazda 6's about misfires/no pcv change and start burning oil/lean or too rich conditions=shot cats, then motor right after.

for everyone that love their 6 like me:
Oil change every 4,000miles MAX, 5.5qts on V6, check oil level every gas (87octane) fill up

pcv replaced once a year $8

sparkplugs changed every 45-50,000miles with original double platinum

air filter changed maybe once a year or when dirty(more in dusty areas)

from all my reading

·
Registered
196 Posts
So no one has really answered the question of if you can use a ford fusion block. Yesterday my engine decided to do the same thing everyone else has had happen so I am now in search of a new one. And there are not very many engines available.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
dont see why a fusion block would be any different. hell, considering how many different cars came with that motor, even a MPV or taurus is probably a good donor.

·
Registered
196 Posts
yea that what I think I am going to start looking into. I just did a compression test on the front 3 cylinders and they were 140, 140, 70 so the engine is toast for sure

·
Registered
53 Posts
Anybody figure out or do an engine swap with something other than the same year/model they have. I have an 03 mazda 6s manual. Can I use a newer engine? Engine from other mazdas or fords???

·
Registered
206 Posts
Pull the motor and have it rebuilt by a machine shop. That's cheaper than buying a rebuilt motor route and comes insured.

Another way of doing it is to get a bottom end of a used Taurus. Must have a be a S v6 engine. This block is also in a lincoln and probably mercury too. Only the bottom end will work. The heads will have to be swapped out for ours. As for oil pan, tranny and wiring harness.

Match the block code: XW4E-BA if you are unsure. These block's been in use since 1997. They are very reliable engines....if properly maintained and precautions like pvc and cats are dealt with.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Forgot to mention. If you are going to tear this block apart to do a swap.. consider changing all the seal and gaskets, including the valve oil seals!! If your car is burning oil, that may be the biggest culprit.

Also have your heads REBUILT!!!!

The cost of a swap+ parts+ labor....it's really not much more to rebuild your engine with new pistons.

This is how much I spent: Woo Had the engine rebuilt and Now it's installed! - 6Crew.com Forum

·
Registered
585 Posts
Anybody figure out or do an engine swap with something other than the same year/model they have. I have an 03 mazda 6s manual. Can I use a newer engine? Engine from other mazdas or fords???
Yes, you can use a newer engine. I replaced an 03 manual with one from an 07 automatic, (the difference between manual and automatic is 1 part). I used the 07 complete as is, intake, fuel injector system, oil pan, etc... You have to either swap the wire harness or modify it to match your year. They are different from year to year and in my case it just ment swapping 6 or so wires around on a couple plugs. Took about 4 hours to ohm out the harness, mark everything and then swap things around. Still easier than swapping the entire harness. The oil pan and exhaust header system on 03-05's is completely different than that on the 06-08's. As THANH said, you either have to swap all of it, if you want to use your old stuff or call MSDS for some headers. I worked with Marty there to develop a header package that lets you use the complete 06-08 engine with your 03-05 chassis and subframe. SWEET! Mazda fixed alot of things with the release of the 06 engine, (increased oil capacity, improved oil pick-up location, reinforced PCV plumbing, no more water pump belt tensioner to side load front cam, etc...) and in my opinion it is a waste to put old parts on new engine. Not to mention the new engine only had 13,000 miles on it and literally looked brand new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Forgot to mention. If you are going to tear this block apart to do a swap.. consider changing all the seal and gaskets, including the valve oil seals!! If your car is burning oil, that may be the biggest culprit.

Also have your heads REBUILT!!!!

The cost of a swap+ parts+ labor....it's really not much more to rebuild your engine with new pistons.

This is how much I spent: Woo Had the engine rebuilt and Now it's installed! - 6Crew.com Forum
Wow, thats pretty good. It seems though that you did a lot of the work yourself and I dont wanna deal with that anymore. I just spent 4 months installing lifters in an 06 GTO so all this engine work will probably take me 4 years.

Yes, you can use a newer engine. I replaced an 03 manual with one from an 07 automatic, (the difference between manual and automatic is 1 part). I used the 07 complete as is, intake, fuel injector system, oil pan, etc... You have to either swap the wire harness or modify it to match your year. They are different from year to year and in my case it just ment swapping 6 or so wires around on a couple plugs. Took about 4 hours to ohm out the harness, mark everything and then swap things around. Still easier than swapping the entire harness. The oil pan and exhaust header system on 03-05's is completely different than that on the 06-08's. As THANH said, you either have to swap all of it, if you want to use your old stuff or call MSDS for some headers. I worked with Marty there to develop a header package that lets you use the complete 06-08 engine with your 03-05 chassis and subframe. SWEET! Mazda fixed alot of things with the release of the 06 engine, (increased oil capacity, improved oil pick-up location, reinforced PCV plumbing, no more water pump belt tensioner to side load front cam, etc...) and in my opinion it is a waste to put old parts on new engine. Not to mention the new engine only had 13,000 miles on it and literally looked brand new.
Can you please refer me back to what you used for guidance? How much did this cost you and who did the engine swap? Do you also know a good place to buy an engine???

·
Registered
585 Posts
Wow, thats pretty good. It seems though that you did a lot of the work yourself and I dont wanna deal with that anymore. I just spent 4 months installing lifters in an 06 GTO so all this engine work will probably take me 4 years.

Can you please refer me back to what you used for guidance? How much did this cost you and who did the engine swap? Do you also know a good place to buy an engine???
The salvage 07 engine cost me $1700 (including shipping from Alabama to Michigan). Contact your local salvage yard or go on-line. I got quotes from 3 of the on-line national part finder services. They're great, you tell them what you want and what you are willing to pay and turn em loose. Don't get all excited about the warranties they offer because there are so many stipulations that you could never collect. Also, be patient and when you do buy anything, thoroughly inspect it for mechanical damage BEFORE you take ownership. Remember the car it came out of, (especially if the engine is low miles) was damaged beyond repair. I've looked at engines that were supposedly "test run" before being removed from the wreck, only to find cracked manifolds, bent pullies and smashed wiring. Always ask for a copy of the title from the original car.
I do all my own work using an AllDATA.diy.com subscription and LOTS of previous experience.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So what is the part that is different?
I have a 2003 3.0, 6spd, busted piston, being told that only the manual transmission engine will work........Whats the real story?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts