Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This hasn't been anytime recent, but about 3 times now i've noticed my engine making an odd noise, either directly after an oil change or fairly soon afterwards the engine starts to make this audible buzzing noise which physically vibrates the car... but only at a specific RPM - like between 2000-2500 thereabouts. it completely went away closer to 3000RPM.

Well.. I was confused at first because I had absolutely no idea what could be causing this. I suspected it to be some sort of carbon build-up. When I did get around to changing the oil, the engine was fully back to normal which occurred to me there was something wrong with the oil filter..

It happened another 2, maybe 3 more times; after an oil change; and in one case it was so bad that the check engine light came on a few times intermittently... hasn't happened ever since for a while now. I should have cut open these filters to see what was going on. any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
Sounds like you should be using the recommended oil weight instead of messing around with what Mazda has tested and verified over millions of miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great imagination. If there was the sort of problem mentioned, it wasn't the oil filter and not 2-3 times in a row.
You need to learn how to read. If it happened 2 or 3 times in a row, how would I even know it was the filter? this was over the course of several oil changes.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you should be using the recommended oil weight instead of messing around with what Mazda has tested and verified over millions of miles.
The oil weight had absolutely nothing to do with it, because there were times when I used 0w20 in the past.

·
Super Moderator
16,814 Posts
The oil weight had absolutely nothing to do with it, because there were times when I used 0w20 in the past.
But have you had the issue while using 0w20 or not? That's my point, and is definitely a relevant piece of information that we should know before trying to diagnose your problem.

Normally I'd say to check your intake, MAF, throttle body, plugs, etc, but having known that you've been messing with oil weights in your car, any number of things could be going on.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But have you had the issue while using 0w20 or not? That's my point, and is definitely a relevant piece of information that we should know before trying to diagnose your problem.

Normally I'd say to check your intake, MAF, throttle body, plugs, etc, but having known that you've been messing with oil weights in your car, any number of things could be going on.
Actually, one of the times I was using 0w20, another time it was 5w30 so I can confirm it had nothing to do with the oil weight.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If I may ask, how did you know that you had defective OEM filters? Exactly what did you do that you arrived in that conclusion?

Since I've been using the OEM filters, I have no idea that some of it may be defective. I always assume and have assumed that it is of excellent quality.

·
Registered
694 Posts
If I may ask, how did you know that you had defective OEM filters? Exactly what did you do that you arrived in that conclusion?

Since I've been using the OEM filters, I have no idea that some of it may be defective. I always assume and have assumed that it is of excellent quality.
The OEM is of excellent quality. Just continue to use, there is no story here. Affectionately known as "click bait".

·
Registered
743 Posts
The OEM is of excellent quality. Just continue to use, there is no story here. Affectionately known as "click bait".
I hate this so called "click bait"! I didn't understand this at first but as time goes by as I watch YouTube videos, the thumbnail doesn't match the content of some videos.

Are you telling me I got "victimized"?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Well, what else could the issue possibly be? The filter is just supposed to be screwed on. There's no way a messed-up installation could have caused the problem.

I am not saying for sure it's the filter, but what else could it possibly be? Just because the OEM oil filters are of good quality does not mean they are invincible to manufacturing defects. The specific shop I was going to at the time did use OEM filters, but perhaps they were the ones made in Mexico or Thailand with lower quality.

Just speculation at this point - But what else could the problem be?

·
Registered
496 Posts
You said the check engine light came on. What was the code? That would be your answer.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You said the check engine light came on. What was the code? That would be your answer.
When the check engine light did come on, it wasnt for long. It came on maybe 3 times intermittently, so I never got a chance to catch what it was using a scanner. This hasn't occured again anything recently either.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Well, what else could the issue possibly be? The filter is just supposed to be screwed on. There's no way a messed-up installation could have caused the problem.

I am not saying for sure it's the filter, but what else could it possibly be? Just because the OEM oil filters are of good quality does not mean they are invincible to manufacturing defects. The specific shop I was going to at the time did use OEM filters, but perhaps they were the ones made in Mexico or Thailand with lower quality.

Just speculation at this point - But what else could the problem be?
Your thread title says otherwise, a conclusion that you got a defective OEM filter. English is my second language so I might be wrong.

Anyways, I can't offer any help so I'm out of here.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Even if the CEL turned itself off, the car would still store the codes until cleared manually. This whole post smells like BS, honestly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts