Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For non US people, the Lemon Law is a law in effect in most states in the US. It's designed to protect consumers from faulty new cars that are not fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

For the whole saga, read this thread:
http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=1726

This actually started back in January, it's now almost April. After five trips to two different dealers, many calls to Mazda USA's consumer line and not a single attempt made to fix the car, I did the American thing and contacted my lawyer.

I have absolutely had it with Mazda's inattention and unwillingness to deal with a serious problem. I am not complaining about something minor like a rattle in the seat or static on the radio. There are so many noises eminating from the front end, car is now unsettling to drive. Neither dealer made any attempt to actually fix the car, both put the problem in the MazdaTIPS database and seem content to sit back and wait for a response.

I find this attitude ridiculous. I spent a ton of money to pay the new car premium and Mazda is making absolutely NO attempt to satisfy me. I resent them taking the attitude that I just have to "deal with it" until there is a TSB posted. I would be less angry if either dealer had made an attempt to fix the car and failed. The total inaction on their part irks me, and that's why I'm doing something about it.

I've got the documentation I need to proceed (service notices etc) and we'll be firing off a letter today indicating our intent.

I don't want to bring anyone down here. I still think the 6 is a terrific car and I'm not convinced that my problem is a design flaw. It seems more likely that there is simply a defect in my car's front end or steering system. However, the frequency of this problem in USDM models on this board makes my wonder if indeed there is a recall in the making here.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out. On principle, I'll be asking for a full refund. I'll probably buy another make of car.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Reading Topic: So... I'm about to sue Mazda

Good luck with your battle. I know in PA, you don't have to pay anything when you go after a car company for a Lemoon Law claim. The car manufacturer has to pay your lawyer to sue them.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'So... I'm about to sue Mazda'

Originally posted by PSU F4i

Good luck with your battle.  I know in PA, you don't have to pay anything when you go after a car company for a Lemoon Law claim.  The car manufacturer has to pay your lawyer to sue them.

Keep us posted.[/b]
Same thing in IL.

I will definitely post the outcome of this fiasco here.

·
Registered
652 Posts

Bah....hate to hear that as I am very close to taking delivery of my 6s.

Hope yours was a lemon, and that there is not a design/manufacturing issue that will effect many cars.

·
Registered
376 Posts

even if there is an issue that is related to all the 6, it's still not a major malfunction and the car still worth the buying!!!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Originally posted by mazda666

even if there is an issue that is related to all the 6, it's still not a major malfunction and the car still worth the buying!!!![/b]
I beg to differ. Loose tie rods are no picnic.

·
Registered
468 Posts

it's unfortunate to hear.. i live in the same area as you..have one of the early production 6's as well..never heard a squeak or a rattle from my suspension nor had any major problem. <knock on wood> in my experience with it and 7000+ miles of owning mine only problem i've had with my car is the shift knob discoloring which is pretty common i hear. hope everything works well for you!

·
Registered
736 Posts

That is absolutely stunning. I would wish you the best of luck but I already know you'll win. :) So, what kind of car will you get now?

·
Registered
980 Posts

Yeah Torgo, are you getting another 6 or have this experience dettered you from it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by chindo

Yeah Torgo, are you getting another 6 or have this experience dettered you from it.[/b]
I'll probably get either an Accord or Camry, my wife wants to get an ES 300. I like the 6 and still believe that it's the ideal car for me...if they'd fix the damn thing.

That's what's so bad about this, when the car was brand new and trouble-free, I loved it, it was perfect. But the fact that it's having fairly serious front end problems (play in the steering wheel, loud clunking over bumps and when driving through curves) at 1500 miles doesn't bode well for the future. That's ridiculously soon.

Any car can have problems. My supposedly bulletproof 00 Accord had rattles and transmission problems very early on. The difference is that Honda called me preemptively to check if I was having problems, noted the problems I was having, got them fixed immediately and followed-up with me to ensure that they didn't returns. Mazda has done NOTHING except give me endless bullshit excuses about "lead techs" being "on vacation" (for months, apparently) etc. They've embarrased themselves and refused to take me seriously.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Sad to hear about this. Keep us updated.

My 6 is running like a clockwork. Suisse.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Originally posted by Torgo

Any car can have problems.  My supposedly bulletproof 00 Accord had rattles and transmission problems very early on.  The difference is that Honda called me preemptively to check if I was having problems, noted the problems I was having, got them fixed immediately and followed-up with me to ensure that they didn't returns.  Mazda has done NOTHING except give me endless bullshit excuses about "lead techs" being "on vacation" (for months, apparently) etc.  They've embarrased themselves and refused to take me seriously.[/b]
Maybe it's your dealer. I've dealt with "not-so-great" Honda dealers and their bullshit. It's all chance. Problem with Honda is cross your fingers when that short 3 yr/36k mile warranty expires. They're a bitch on the wallet to repair, and that wonderful service costs an arm and a leg. I think the biggest dissappointment with Honda was when I opted to go to a local repair shop who quoted me much lower price. That is, until they realized that their were no third party parts for Hondas, and Honda parts are outrageously expensive. I couldn't escape the high repair costs of my Honda, unless I used lower quality refurb parts. Keep that in mind when the salesman pulls out the extended warranty prices and info.

If you don't care about brand new, Honda has a much better warranty value with their certified pre-owned cars. 5yr/60k miles!!! Toyota is a solid choice, but bland and boring IMO.

Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts

I really sympathize with your situation. I have had my 6S for 2 weeks now and over 500 miles. The car has been running flawlessly and getting stronger with every 100 miles I put into it. I would say it is finally breaking in. Only complains I have for this car would only be a slight lack of power and a little too soft of a ride. For a manufacturer to churn out new models and design at such a short time, they would obviously come short with field testing and development. We buyers who purchased their first batch of production would consider their "beta testers".

P

·
0 Posts

I saw the consumer reports and they said one of the downs is the front suspension because it creaks and makes sounds...have them check that?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by Performazda

I saw the consumer reports and they said one of the downs is the front suspension because it creaks and makes sounds...have them check that?[/b]
It's not a sound, it's a clunk you can feel in both the steering wheel and brake pedal. I've never felt anything like it in any other car I've owned. It's much much more annoying that a creaky suspension, something my '02 CR-V has.

There's nothing loose in the front end according to both dealers. It's either a hydraulic or tie rod problem, IMO. After a short "cooling off" period, I'm taking it to a third dealer tomorrow to give them one last chance.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'So... I'm about to sue Mazda'

Sorry to hear man... Or good to hear... Maybe they fix the problem/recall cars if they get a lawsuit on them... Or the knowlage of it coming might be enough... Looks like very many cars have this problem, just that yours is a little more severe...

When does it happen? Is it like when you brake or/and steer or can it come just when you drive straight forward, just "rolling"?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Originally posted by Torgo

For non US people, the Lemon Law is a law in effect in most states in the US.  It's designed to protect consumers from faulty new cars that are not fixed within a reasonable amount of time.

For the whole saga, read this thread:
http://www.mazda6club.com/forums/read.php?TID=1726

This actually started back in January, it's now almost April.  After five trips to two different dealers, many calls to Mazda USA's consumer line and not a single attempt made to fix the car, I did the American thing and contacted my lawyer.  

I have absolutely had it with Mazda's inattention and unwillingness to deal with a serious problem.  I am not complaining about something minor like a rattle in the seat or static on the radio.  There are so many noises eminating from the front end, car is now unsettling to drive.  Neither dealer made any attempt to actually fix the car, both put the problem in the MazdaTIPS database and seem content to sit back and wait for a response.

I find this attitude ridiculous.  I spent a ton of money to pay the new car premium and Mazda is making absolutely NO attempt to satisfy me.  I resent them taking the attitude that I just have to "deal with it" until there is a TSB posted.  I would be less angry if either dealer had made an attempt to fix the car and failed.  The total inaction on their part irks me, and that's why I'm doing something about it.

I've got the documentation I need to proceed (service notices etc) and we'll be firing off a letter today indicating our intent.

I don't want to bring anyone down here.  I still think the 6 is a terrific car and I'm not convinced that my problem is a design flaw.  It seems more likely that there is simply a defect in my car's front end or steering system.  However, the frequency of this problem in USDM models on this board makes my wonder if indeed there is a recall in the making here.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.  On principle, I'll be asking for a full refund.  I'll probably buy another make of car.[/b]

Let us know of any outcome.
I do have the same problem.
I lived in singapore so do not know whether there is such a law.

·
Registered
315 Posts

There's nothing loose in the front end according to both dealers. It's either a hydraulic or tie rod problem, IMO.
As you may already know, tie rods are part of the front end. They could be bad but you can check those yourself, just get under there and have a look.
Have you look at the front sways bar to see if one of the links is loose or bad?
The struts could be loose at the mounting point. Also, check for fluid leakage.

What about wheel bearings, have you checked them? You can do a partial check while the car is on the ground. Just grab the top of the tire at 12 o'clock and push it in and out. If there is play in the wheel the bearing could be bad. Broken/weak bearings can cause noises and "loose" feel as well and they are a common issue.

Also, you indicate that you can "feel it in the brake". Thus, I would suggest you take a look at your calipers and have the dealer inspect them as well. Feeling the "clunk" in the brake may indicate that one or both of the calipers are loose. It's possible that there may be a misaligned brake pad or missing shims. You could take the front wheels off one at a time and check the calipers by moving them with your hand to check for excessive play.
Ask the tech if he retorqued the calipers or if he even checked them.

Good luck.

Tome

·
Registered
73 Posts

I'm sad to hear about your problems as well. My new 6 has about 1100 miles on her, and the only ongoing "problem" I've noticed is an ever so slight pull to the right. While driving the car home from the dealership (after lunch) a plastic engine splash sheild on the driver's side folded under and was dragging the ground because it was missing a bolt. I called the dealership, and they fixed it immediately. The salesman and service manager drove to my office and had the car fixed and back to me before the end of business that same day.

I would like to add a couple of pieces of info that may ease some concerns. I'm the IS Manager for a company that builds aftermarket high performance radiators, so I receive several magazines that deal heavily with automotive engineering. The Mazda6 has been in works at Mazda for about three years, so it wasn't designed and built overnight. In fact, Mazda sent their engineers to Germany for several months to work alongside BMW and Audi engineers - hence the superb handling characteristics of the 6, and it's added safety features that are pretty uncommon in a mid-level Japanese or American car. Mazda then built the car for about a year before selling it. They would build some, test them, tear them down and fix any problems they found. This again is something they got from watching the Germans.

Just some notes that may ease some fears. I hope everything works out well for you in this case, and I look forward to reading more about it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts