Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So mafter puuting 17k on the stock tires I went to my tire guy to rotate tham to get thru till I buy snows. He told me no go, not worth it. Did his measuing thing and they are at 2/32, and one was down to almost the belt. Damn it! So we priced 17's w/ snows and then priced some aggressive all season and performance tires. Here is what we came up with:

Aggr I am Aggressive/All season options:
Option 1: Conti Extreme Contact 225/40/18 $658.99
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...iExtremeContact

Option 2: Toyo Proxeys FZ4 225/40/18 same price.
http://www.toyo.com/tires/tire_lines/high_perf/fz4.html

Option 3: Mcraft Avenger HP 215/45/18 $579.19
http://www.mastercrafttire.com/us/en/Produ...nger&id=256

My guy says to go with opion 1 b/c they would be the best in the winter. Then he said his second choice would be the TOYOS. I am trying to keep costs down cuz I was not planning n buying new tires till late next spring.... But he advised me to either do it now or put snows on now. Basically an accident waiting to happen. I don't wanna put snows on now, and handle like crud. So I am left with possibly one of teh above options and get snows next winter.

With that said wich option would you go with? Please stay on topic and stick to these options. I'd also appreciate any nasty comments to be left out. Thanks all in advance

MIchelle

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'd avoid the Conti's like the plague (seen too many quality issues there). :nono: What the hell is the Mcraft Avenger? :slap: The Toyos Would be the choice out of those three. Tirerack lists the Pirelli P Zero Nero for your car. I'm not a huge pirelli fan, but these are suppossed to be really good. :yesnod:
tirerack - Pirelli

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mastercraft avenger

The tire guy said he never recommends conti but with this tire he will.... No other conti product tho....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mastercraft avenger

The tire guy said he never recommends conti but with this tire he will.... No other conti product tho....
[/b]
I agree with your tire guy... ContiExtremeContac are good tires. They are OEM tires on many cars.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yah reading the reviews on Tirerack they sound good, there is even a RX 68 with them on there

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bump

·
Registered
67 Posts
Those toyos are the old model, I got toyo proxes 4 225/40/18s for 589.00 at les schwab. dont pay more for the older ones. Toyo rates the new models higher all around. I love the tires though. for winter i use 205/50/17s dunlop winters.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you go to a 225/45-18 it opens things up a bit. Link:more Tirerack

I have the Avons on mine and like them really well. Just trying to help. I really would avoid the Conti's, though. I'm in the car biz and I've just seen too many vibration issues on OE Conti's over the years. In your stock size, either the Pirelli P Zero Nero, or the Toyo Proxess 4 would be best.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Those toyos are the old model, I got toyo proxes 4 225/40/18s for 589.00 at les schwab. dont pay more for the older ones. Toyo rates the new models higher all around. I love the tires though. for winter i use 205/50/17s dunlop winters.
[/b]
Yah, speedgal. The FZ4 is old technology. Proxes4 is more advanced, better compounding, ride, treadlife, wet traction and especially noise. If the Proxes4 costs a little more (it probably does), it's worth it.

One problem I'm noticing, though. If you still have the stock Speed6 wheels, you CAN NOT use 225/40R18. The stock MS6 wheels are 18x7 and 225/40R18 requires an 18x7.5 minimum. So in that case, you only choice for Toyo is the T1R (215/45R18), which is even more expensive, but also worth it. They are summer compound, though. You could also choose the Proxes4 in 225/45R18.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I spoke to the tire dealer he was pretty sure the Conti's would fit. He was sure that the 225/40's would be a fit.. So you are saying that they won't? I have to go with a aggressive all season tire.. One that I can get thru the winter with.
I can not afford to put new tires and buy snows at this time. My budget for tires is around $800 including all the mounting and balancing I will need.. The tire guy said there are not many tires they carry there that will fit, I don't have much time to do this as Ia m down to the belts.... ERRRRRRR

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
2/32
[/b]

im such a meanie... after reading your whole post all i can tell you is that 2/32 reduces to 1/16 you aretard. lol~

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know that is just not called for. If you read my orig post I specifically stated to keep your nasty coments to yourself!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So if I went with Continental 225/45/18" I would be fine??? Is that correct? I'm guessing that because the sidewall of the 40 series tire doesn't give enough flex to fit the 7" rim? But, with the 45 series tire there is enough sidewall to flex to fit on a 7" rim?

Plus, I found a tire calculator and it shows that the 225/45/18" is almost the same diameter as stock which would be better for my speedometer.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
im such a meanie... after reading your whole post all i can tell you is that 2/32 reduces to 1/16 you aretard. lol~
[/b]
Tread depths are expressed in 32nds of an inch, regardless of what it reduces to.

Speedgal, look at the specs for ANY 225/40R18. The range of approved rim widths are 7.5 to 9.0 inches. Your stock Speed6 wheel is not wide enough for that size. That is the unfortunate thing about the stock wheels. It limits your choices to two sizes only. 215/45R18 and 225/45R18. Don't take my word for it, look on any manufacturer website or Tire Rack. Your dealer is not doing his homework, unfortunately and you will pay the price for his mistake.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
When I spoke to the tire dealer he was pretty sure the Conti's would fit. He was sure that the 225/40's would be a fit.. So you are saying that they won't? I have to go with a aggressive all season tire.. One that I can get thru the winter with.
I can not afford to put new tires and buy snows at this time. My budget for tires is around $800 including all the mounting and balancing I will need.. The tire guy said there are not many tires they carry there that will fit, I don't have much time to do this as Ia m down to the belts.... ERRRRRRR
[/b]
I gave you a great & ideal solution awhile back with the Nokians (link below)

40 - 225/40R18 XL 92V T443490 23.6 7.5-9 8 25.1 9.1 11
as you can see it requires a minimum of 7.5 to 9in. wheel

Check the first link in my post (under) and trust me it answers all your questions and issues
http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?s=&a...st&p=779332
once on the page scroll down to see all the spec #'s & you'll find a size that matches or comes closest to your stock wheels

I don't own a Speed6 , but if you know your STOCK #'s related to OVERALL HEIGHT/WIDTH ; then you choose the one that comes closest in #'s (if they don't already have your stock size) , this way your car & you won't feel the difference when rolling
Somebody hand out the stock tire size #s on these 18 stockers so we can find the closest tire that matches here for her , please !

mine 215 50 17 cost me all-dressed 980 CANADIAN :zzz:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Somebody hand out the stock tire size #s on these 18 stockers[/color] so we can find the closest tire that matches here for her , please !
[/b]
I've already done that in posts #9 & 14!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
One problem I'm noticing, though. If you still have the stock Speed6 wheels, you CAN NOT use 225/40R18. The stock MS6 wheels are 18x7 and 225/40R18 requires an 18x7.5 minimum. So in that case, you only choice for Toyo is the T1R (215/45R18), which is even more expensive, but also worth it. They are summer compound, though. You could also choose the Proxes4 in 225/45R18.
[/b]
Speedgal, look at the specs for ANY 225/40R18. The range of approved rim widths are 7.5 to 9.0 inches. Your stock Speed6 wheel is not wide enough for that size. That is the unfortunate thing about the stock wheels. It limits your choices to two sizes only. 215/45R18 and 225/45R18. Don't take my word for it, look on any manufacturer website or Tire Rack. Your dealer is not doing his homework, unfortunately and you will pay the price for his mistake.
[/b]

O.k. , let me get this straight (it's late and I'm bushed but want to help)

Stock MS6 wheels' width is 18x7 .....
in red above is not stock that I gather .... in blue or tan , then , I'm still wondering which ?/?

Do you have the overall width/height also ? If we have the Stock Height in inches , all that is left is to find the closest height match ; 'cause on my Nokian link/chart these 215s & 225s are not available + 18 are rare , really rare !

Already Toyo , I'm as well going beddy-bye :zzz:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
O.k. , let me get this straight (it's late and I'm bushed but want to help)

Stock MS6 wheels' width is 18x7 .....
in red above is not stock that I gather .... in blue or tan , then , I'm still wondering which ?/?

Do you have the overall width/height also ? If we have the Stock Height in inches , all that is left is to find the closest height match ; 'cause on my Nokian link/chart these 215s & 225s are not available + 18 are rare , really rare !
[/b]
:headscrat:

What's not clear? Stock wheels are 18x7. There are only two tire sizes available in the market that are approved for 18x7 that fall within the proper height requirement guidelines for the Mazda6. 215/45R18 (which is the stock size and is 25.5 inches tall) and 225/45R18 (an optional size which is 25.9 inches tall).

There's a whole pinned thread about this:
Choosing the Right Size Tire

Unfortunately, these are relatively new sizes and not many manufacturers offer them yet. That's the suck part. So, unfortunately, speedgal's choices are very limited unless she wants to get new wheels, which I doubt because it sounds like she's on a limited budget.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
:headscrat:

What's not clear? Stock wheels are 18x7. There are only two tire sizes available in the market that are approved for 18x7 that fall within the proper height requirement guidelines for the Mazda6. 215/45R18 (which is the stock size and is 25.5 inches tall) and 225/45R18 (an optional size which is 25.9 inches tall).

Unfortunately, these are relatively new sizes and not many manufacturers offer them yet. That's the suck part. So, unfortunately, speedgal's choices are very limited unless she wants to get new wheels, which I doubt because it sounds like she's on a limited budget.
[/b]
All clear now and indeed very limited in choice even the Nokians don't come close in size
http://www.nokiantyre.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=6
Closest I found was 25.1 in. height with 225/40R18 XL 92V T443490 23.6 7.5-9 8 25.1 9.1 11 ... with these being lower profile (than your find above) & to booth the Nokians have a frickin stiff sidewall that would translate in one MF handler summer/winter , but as you mention hers are x7 wide so it's a no-show also !!!
the other two (no data) are too wide ! ( 245/45R18XL + 295/35R18 )
Good luck Speedgal

1 - 20 of 21 Posts