Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my area, I see a large population of Altimas. Why do I notice these cars so much? I don't know. Up close, the body is nice, but on the road, they are quite plain. Maybe the taillights are so hideous, they draw my eyes, much like a Medusa.

I saw one (of many) on the way to work yesterday. What made this one stand out is that it was a six cylinder model. I have been taking note of that lately out of curiosity, and the Altima is a prime candidate for observation. On the lower right rear is large and noticible badging indicating whether the car is a four or a six. Out of all the Altimas I have seen on the road, I think this is the only six I've come across!

Why so few sixes? Especially in a sedan that's supposed to be closer to a performance sedan such as the Altima. I would expect them to have a much larger ratio of six cylinders. I know that fours outsell sixes by about 70% - 30% or so, but my observed ratios are quite more spread out.

Why so few sixes? Maybe, as I found out in my preliminaries, people listen to the salesmen. Even though I stated quite clearly that I would want a six, both VW and Nissan saw fit to pressure me as to how good the cars were with four cylinders.

Why so few sixes? Maybe people don't care around here. But then why even buy a nice sedan instead of a Hyundai (nothing at all against Hyundai, but I've read they don't ride as nicely as the Passat, the Accord, the Camry, and so on).

Why so few sixes? I don't know. But that's okay, it'll make my six that much better when I get it.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Replying to Topic 'so few sixes?'

When I bought my 99 Accord the sales person had no hesitations about trying to talk me into a V6. He didn't push it hard, but he definitely didn't avoid the subject.

Maybe the dealers in your area have historicaly only had good sales on the 4's and so overstock on them, causing them to have to do what it takes to push them off the lot. Just a theory.

Although, now that I think about it, I do see a whole lot more Accord and Camry V6's around then Altima V6's. Things that make you go "hmmm".

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

The fact is that these cars are viewed as family sedans first and sporty second. That's why it has taken so long for a couple of companies (Mazda and Nissan) to stick their neck out and get away from the bland, comfy and even blander formula. The fact is that the best seller is always the 4 cylinder automatic, because people have other things they need to spend their money on - like their kids.

Frankly, most people just aren't car people. They don't care about power or handling or any of it. The only reason the companies compete on power is for bragging rights, both for themselves and for their customers. For some reason Joe customer likes to know that he bought a version of a car that is the most powerful available. :sarc Even though he didn't actually get the powerful version, he feels better knowing that he could have, or that his looks like that one, or something. :sarc :sarc :sarc

Anyway, for whatever reason, having a "halo" model works. Even though 90% of people won't get it, they like being associated with it.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Even though he didn't actually get the powerful version, he feels better knowing that he could have, or that his looks like that one, or something.  :sarc :sarc :sarc  

Anyway, for whatever reason, having a "halo" model works.  Even though 90% of people won't get it, they like being associated with it.[/b]
That's right; there are a lot of people in the Netherlands who have cars badged GTI while it's actually the most basic version.. Or when somebody has got a 1.6 (VW, Opel etc.) they just 'rip off' the badge 'cause he/she don't wants to look poor/stupid. Or they get somewhere a V6-badge to look cool. But the best example of 'I wanna look cool' is the following: last week, I saw a guy driving in his BMW 316i, with wheelcovers.. AND a M3 badge... Poor guy.. :sarc :sarc

Coen

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

..But the best example of 'I wanna look cool' is the following: last week, I saw a guy driving in his BMW 316i, with wheelcovers..  AND a M3 badge... Poor guy.. :sarc :sarc

Coen[/b]
Oh that's funny :p

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Lots of people do that over here too. Honda Civic DXs with Type R badging. Or worse yet, Chevy Cavaliers with Type R badging. ????WTF????

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I saw a car the other day sporting a "VTEC" badge. Funny thing was, it wasn't even a Honda. :sarc

Check out Bryans Page for lots of laughs. (no affiliation)

·
Registered
246 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

I saw a car the other day sporting a "VTEC" badge.  Funny thing was, it wasn't even a Honda.  :sarc  

Check out Bryans Page for lots of laughs.  (no affiliation)[/b]
:D There are a lot of 'Rice-Boys' driving out there in US.. :D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by OppenheimeR

Originally posted by applejax

I saw a car the other day sporting a "VTEC" badge.  Funny thing was, it wasn't even a Honda.  :sarc  

Check out Bryans Page for lots of laughs.  (no affiliation)[/b]
:D There are a lot of 'Rice-Boys' driving out there in US.. :D
[/b][/quote]

I am reminded of that all too often...:p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts