Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm really itching to get a short throw shifter. Stock one has too long throws especially when trying to downshift fast for sudden passing manuevers. That gets aggravated by lack of low/mid rev torque and throttle delay induced "turbo lag". On few occasions that got simply dangerous.

I'm also getting CP-E and was wondering which shifter to get for a limited amount of dough left. I'm not trying to race, just want a bit more reponsiveness in city driving that requires fast shiting between 2nd and 4th and sudden accelration/deceleration. I also don't want the mod causing troubles and bringing the damn car down.

RPM for $40 seems too good to be true, is it? What about TWM vs Mazdaspeed?

I'll appreciate any insights and help. Thanks!

·
Registered
459 Posts
the rpm is a little triangular piece of metal that turns your shifter into a short shifter by shortening the shifting rod, the other two are full shifter housing replacments. so thats why they're more expensive. plus that makes them 100x better.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Fortunately all 3 fulfill different needs.

The RPM one, as stated, is just a bracket. It convers your stock shifter into a short-shifter simply by altering the location where the linkage meets the shifter, changing the angle and therefore the throw.

The TWM shifter does the same but also shortens the height quite a bit. Some people like a shorter shifter in addition to a shorter throw.

The MazdaSpeed shifter is very similar to the TWM shifter but keeps the stock height (or very close to it).

Of course I'd recommend the RPM one, but if you've got the money to blow, the MazdaSpeed one is very nice. And, if you want a shorter height then get the TWM one.

·
Registered
459 Posts
yea no disrespect to rpm at all, but if it was me personally, i would go with the twm one. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
i think it all depends on what your lookin for. if you want just a cheap but good short shifter, definitely rpm. also, as stated above, the height of the actual shifter will the stay the same as is is now with the mazdaspeed and rpm.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I like that the height drops with the TWM. But you could also get the RPM adapter and just cut your factory shifter as someone on the forums did.

I have the TWM shifter with their knob and love it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for replies everybody! That clears things up. Guess I would prefer the stock height and Mazdaspeed is too expensive for me.

Sigma et al, just few more things concerning RPM...

How the installations of all 3 are different? If, for example, I'll go with RPM will it be easy later if needed to replace it with TWM or MS?

I understand RPM will keep the feel and height of stock shifter but just make throws shorter. By how much?

Forgetting about height what are differencies in effort, smoothness, speed of engagement and overal feel between Stock/RPM vs TWM vs MS? Which one allows for shortest and fastest throws?

And last but not least do you guys think that CP-E + short shifter combo will noticeably change what I'm looking to improve - responsiveness in city driving (something akin to obstacle course)?

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
How the installations of all 3 are different? If, for example, I'll go with RPM will it be easy later if needed to replace it with TWM or MS?
The RPM just bolts right on to the existing rod, and both TWM and MS replace the rod entirely. So, having the RPM on there doesn't make any difference. Just unbolt it and sell it.

Both TWM and MS require that you cut the stock shifter in order to remove it and install their replacements. This means no going back to stock unless you've got some welding equipment handy. With the RPM adapter you just remove the bracket. It takes all of about 5 minutes or less, literally.

One problem though with the RPM is that Mazda makes every shift rod different. Quite literally. They all have the bracket where the linkage connects (and where our adapter connects to extend this bracket) in a slightly different location. This means that the shifter actually feels different in every application and in rare cases (very rare) it doesn't fit at all. The good thing is that since it's a sort of "hack-job" it's very customizable. There are a lot of mods to the mod that people have done to make it just how they like it.

I understand RPM will keep the feel and height of stock shifter but just make throws shorter. By how much?
It's about 30%. Not a lot of difference between the three really.

Forgetting about height what are differencies in effort, smoothness, speed of engagement and overal feel between Stock/RPM vs TWM vs MS? Which one allows for shortest and fastest throws?
As I mentioned before it's difficult to compare the RPM to the others because every car with RPM is different. But, as a general rule, it will be the notchiest of the three with shifts requiring a bit of effort sometimes. From my understanding (I haven't tried TWM) both MS and TWM feel roughly similar. And TWM with it's shortened height has the technically shorter throws, but you're nitpicking when you start getting down to the small differences.

And last but not least do you guys think that CP-E + short shifter combo will noticeably change what I'm looking to improve - responsiveness in city driving (something akin to obstacle course)?
CP-E for sure. The short-shifters... Hard to say. I guess it could. One of the best things about the RPM is that it's so cheap. And you can resell it and be out like $10-20. That's nothing in the grand scheme of mods. So if you find it doesn't do what you want, you're not out much. If you find it does but you want a "real" short-shifter you can go MS or TWM.

Oh, and change to synthetic fluid (I recommend Redline MT-90) if you haven't already. That made at least as much of a difference as the short-shifter in my opinion.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Sigma@Jun 11 2005, 11:50 PM
Oh, and change to synthetic fluid (I recommend Redline MT-90) if you haven't already.  That made at least as much of a difference as the short-shifter in my opinion.
[snapback]429315[/snapback]​
You mean transmission fluid? Where can I get it and how the fluid can make shifts faster? Because of different viscosity?

Sigma, I'm really gratefull for all your detailed replies. I think I'll go with RPM. Thanks a bunch, man!

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
You mean transmission fluid? Where can I get it and how the fluid can make shifts faster? Because of different viscosity?
It wasn't really so much 'faster' it was just the incredible increase in smoothness. It was just like warm butter after I added it. It's a very popular mod with MTX owners. I don't think anyone's been dissapointed. It's about $25 and 15minutes of your time and anyone can do it. It's 1/10th the difficulty of changing your oil.

You can find it at some local speed shops if you know of any, but I buy mine at http://www.myoilshop.com/ The car takes 2.4qts, so you'll need to buy 3.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
If you're thinking about going with the RPM, there is something you can do to make it shift smoother. This mod isn't exactly RPM approved but I've been running with this mod now for 4 months I guess....this takes tension off of the shift cable and therefor makes it easier to move making this shifts less notchy and difficult.

The link is in my signature, just click and read....the best part is, it'll cost you the price of 1 bolt from your local hardware store. :)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Originally posted by iammike@Jun 12 2005, 12:30 PM
If you're thinking about going with the RPM, there is something you can do to make it shift smoother.  This mod isn't exactly RPM approved but I've been running with this mod now for 4 months I guess....this takes tension off of the shift cable and therefor makes it easier to move making this shifts less notchy and difficult.

The link is in my signature, just click and read....the best part is, it'll cost you the price of 1 bolt from your local hardware store.  :)
[snapback]429542[/snapback]​

IAMMIKES fix also help the TWM short shifter feel even smoother . so i would recommend doing it .

also note that the feel of the stock shifter kinda stays with the RPM adapter . only difference is shorter strokes than stock.

the Mazdaspeed and TWM short shifters supply steel bushings that go attached to the shifter housing to help make a more precise shift . less fumbling with gears

ive Had both the RPM adapter and TWM short shifter . and for the money the RPM adapter is a decent improvement but doesnt compare to the TWM short shifter .

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I'd agree that the others are better. Hence why I recommended them if the money was there. It's not like we think ours is the holy grail or something, even falcontx runs with the MazdaSpeed one. But for $40 it's one of the cheaper and more noticeable mods that can be done. I use ours but have done iammike's mod. I like his mod a lot, and since I've been using it so long without problem, would probably recommend it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Yeah, I love RPM but if I had the money, I really have my eye on that MazdaSpeed shifter.

TWM doesn't appeal to me because it sits way off center and it's to low in my opinion and I have a hard enough time keeping my arm from hitting my soda as it is. haha

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Originally posted by iammike@Jun 12 2005, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I love RPM but if I had the money, I really have my eye on that MazdaSpeed shifter.

TWM doesn't appeal to me because it sits way off center and it's to low in my opinion and I have a hard enough time keeping my arm from hitting my soda as it is.  haha
[snapback]429622[/snapback]​

IAMMIKE , where have you been me and dockgu had a little talk to Karel at TWM about the problem about a month ago. we sent him photos and discussed the situation on how to fix it with him and they did , he sent us new centered shifters for the 6cyl. the 4 cyl shifter was always centered . take a look in my garage for the new shifter position .

·
Registered
281 Posts
I agree w/ leftyrev. I had the first rev. shift rod, and TWM send me the new one. It is centered and works better that the first (the first worked great).

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Originally posted by leftyrev@Jun 12 2005, 06:35 PM
IAMMIKE , where have you been me and dockgu had a little talk to Karel at TWM about the problem about a month ago.  we sent him photos and discussed the situation on how to fix it with him and they did , he sent us new centered shifters for the 6cyl. the 4 cyl shifter was always centered . take a look in my garage for the new shifter position .
[snapback]429707[/snapback]​
Would you believe me if I said I was on an important quest which unfortunatly took my attention away from the happenings of the all important Mazda 6 world for only a moment resulting in my not knowing about such an important event?????

Or I could just say I missed that one. :zzz:

Well much credit to TWM then, the stick being off centered really bugged me on a quality level although I myself will still avoid it just because I get tired of hitting my soda as it is. I've always got some kind of drink in my console.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Originally posted by iammike@Jun 12 2005, 10:18 PM
Would you believe me if I said I was on an important quest which unfortunatly took my attention away from the happenings of the all important Mazda 6 world for only a moment resulting in my not knowing about such an important event?????
Or I could just say I missed that one.  :zzz:

Well much credit to TWM then, the stick being off centered really bugged me on a quality level although I myself will still avoid it just because I get tired of hitting my soda as it is.  I've always got some kind of drink in my console.
[snapback]429851[/snapback]​
I like the height of the stock shifter as I can rest my arm on my console and shift. With the MS shifter its even better as they designed it so when your in 2nd or 4th its the same position as stock. In 1st and 3rd its a little past where neutral was. All of the movement has been shifted closer to my natural arm position, and I love it. Also with the stock height, the cupholders can still be used w/o too much interference.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Remember that out of all the available short throw shifters...the mazdaspeed is the only one which takes precautions in relieving the stress off certain shifting components. (Note middle block)

Aka if your shift linkage breaks (see the thread where it broke for one TWM owner), it won't be covered under warranty because of the short throw, and thats about a 700 USD out of pocket expense.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=32447

1 - 20 of 68 Posts