Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I ordered this OEM clone paint-matched spoiler from Spoiler and Wing King.

About what I expected and dreaded for a pearl paint, the spoiler only matches in certain lighting/angles.

I had my buddy take these pictures on lunch. These pics were taken at the same time/place just at a different angle and you can see how it matches pretty good at one angle and doesn't at the other.

Is this about as good as can be expected? Anybody have pearl white add-ons (spoilers, lip kits, etc) that are a great match all over? I'm debating whether to stick it on because it's "good enough" or if I should bother with sending it back for a refund or replacement.

First picture is a pretty good match:

Yet at this angle the spoiler really sticks out as almost a stark white against the trunk lid:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm picky and would want a better match. There is always the option of covering with carbon fiber wrap.
I just ordered another paint-matched spoiler from auto-spoilers-and-trim on eBay that was actually $10 cheaper than Spoiler and Wing King. I'll be curious to see if it matches better than the one in my pictures. If it does, I'll return the one in my pictures and keep the new one. If it doesn't match any better, I think I'll return both and go spoilerless.

I have an MV Tuning body kit on the way and now I'm a little worried about whether or not I'll get a proper paint match on it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Coming from someone who's owned only snowflake white pearl for the last 10 years, the paint match will never be perfect at all angles. For one, this color darkens and yellows through time. So getting it painted in the exact color matched paint won't even match a car that's 1-2 years old. There other issue is with the pearl coat itself, which is why it looks better in some angles and different in others. You can never lay the pearl coat the same way it was laid from the factory. Heck it even varies from day to day at the factory paint booth. Why do you think bumpers look mismatched from the factory? It's because those parts are painted separately from the body.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'm well aware about bumpers not even matching on brand new cars from the factory. I just earlier today commented in that other thread about it.

What's weird is that the backside of the spoiler matches great in nearly all lighting angles. It's only the top of the spoiler that mismatches about half the time. It's almost like the painter did a better/more consistent job on the back than on the top. And it's not just the light/shadow that's causing a perceived better match, because even if you open the trunk all the way up such that the back of the spoiler is facing totally vertically in direct sunlight it still matches perfectly.

I'm really curious to see now how well or not this other company's spoiler matches. I'll definitely update and post pictures when it comes in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So get this.

I ordered that spoiler from the eBay vendor "auto-spoilers-and-trim". The spoiler came in the other day and it's just a stinking Spoiler and Wing King unit! I bought the spoiler from "auto-spoilers-and-trim" and was merely drop shipped a spoiler from the same company whose spoiler I already returned.

I e-mailed the eBay vendor asking if they are in cahoots with eachother, or are even the same business and "auto-spoilers-and-trim" is merely the eBay "arm" of Spoiler and Wing King. He wrote me back and stated that the two companies "work together from time to time" lol.

Anyway, the new spoiler isn't any better of a match. It looks exactly like my original pictures posted here, good match from one angle, stark white from the other. Exact same thing basically. I would post pictures of it but it's rainy here.

I just went ahead and stuck it on. I'm going to have to just live with poor paint matches on this color I guess. I did not drill it into my trunk and merely used 3M double sided tape in case it ever starts to bug me too much I can rip it off and not have a bunch of holes in the trunk.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I had my bumper painted three times before I was satisfied with the color match for my car. (Minor rear-end accident) The first time it was stark white like yours, the second time it was too much pearl. The third time it was pretty much spot-on factory match and I am satisfied. It was a pain to keep bringing the car back and trying to get a repaint.

I would just take your spoiler to a body-shop and have it matched because it really shouldn't cost that much for such a small piece.

Bumper repainted, looks 98% spot-on in all lighting / angles:

·
Registered
15 Posts
does anyone know where to get a good snowflake white pearl touchup paint for little knicks and scratches? (other than the pen from the dealer, sometimes the tip is just too small to cover a decent sized area)

·
Super Moderator
16,806 Posts
does anyone know where to get a good snowflake white pearl touchup paint for little knicks and scratches? (other than the pen from the dealer, sometimes the tip is just too small to cover a decent sized area)
That pen comes with a brush inside if you twist off the cap - much better for larger nicks and dings.

Beyond that, I've heard nothing but amazing things about Dr. Color Chip. You can find it on Amazon.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I just recently got my MV Tuning lip kit painted and ran into this same issue unfortunately. Rather than just go by paint code, I actually gave him my gas lid door for an actual paint match. Even with this, he tried 6 different color variations for me and none were exactly perfect.

Unfortunately, painting add-ons like spoilers and body kits are just never going to be perfect since they're butting up against the existing pearl. Having it blended would definitely be the way to go but of course that is just more time and money.

I got my kit painted for only $250 and this guy went through a lot of effort on the paint match for me and it still looks much more white against the car in certain light. In other light it matches very well.

Near perfect match in this light:

In this light the brows and the fang look much whiter against the car:

It's funny how if you look at this picture again (taken before the fang was installed) you can see how even the factory lower lip looks much whiter compared to the upper part of the bumper. Of course you wouldn't really ever notice it because there are no seams/joints like when you add on a spoiler or separate piece:

Rear fang:

Entire front end (notice how in this light the passenger fang is a good match while the driver one looks whiter):

Again, I only paid $250 to get my entire kit painted so I can't really complain. I really don't expect I could get a perfect result even if I'd paid triple what I did, so I'm glad I only paid what I did. Heck, I noticed even the kit on the actual MV Tuning car itself isn't a great paint match. If those guys can't even get it right on their display car, sheesh.

All this said, I will definitely never buy a pearl car again. I told myself I would never buy a pearl car and here I am. Not again!

·
Registered
15 Posts
That pen comes with a brush inside if you twist off the cap - much better for larger nicks and dings.

Beyond that, I've heard nothing but amazing things about Dr. Color Chip. You can find it on Amazon.

Awesome! thanks for the info, ill give that Dr. Color Chip a try

·
Registered
582 Posts
Awesome! thanks for the info, ill give that Dr. Color Chip a try

IF you haven't already tried this, the factory touch up paint pen is DEFINITELY not a match. It's more of a cream color.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't been on here in a while but to kind of close this out here's some more pictures of my car with everything installed. Again, only paid $250 for all my MV Tuning stuff to get painted so I really can't complain:

·
Registered
410 Posts
IF you haven't already tried this, the factory touch up paint pen is DEFINITELY not a match. It's more of a cream color.
I've recently learned how off the Mazda Touch Up Pen color is for the snowflake white pearl. Any chance you ever found a proper matching touch up paint? I have a small scratch on my trunk and the OEM touch up paint kinda makes it stand out more. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts