Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use snow tire chains? If so would it be ok if I only put chains on the front two wheels instead of all four wheels (im trying to save some cash)?

·
Registered
884 Posts
wait you have a speed6? and you still don't have traction? Where are you that you need chains? Are you running A/S or something? If so you have to invest in some winter tires, I live in VT and I went through one winter with A/S and did OK but now with these winters I'm cruising around without a care in the world.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts
QUOTE (dasleeper @ Feb 11 2010, 12:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636167
Anyone ever use snow tire chains? If so would it be ok if I only put chains on the front two wheels instead of all four wheels (im trying to save some cash)?[/b]
If you have a MS6 and think you need snow chains, take a moment to reconsider your tires. The MS6 was available with summer tires, which are a HUGE mistake in any kind of snow, let alone cold weather in general. Do some research and invest in a good set of winter tires, either for your stock 18" rims, or (preferably) downsize to a set of 17" wheels and tires.

And no, chains aren't recommended for the 6, and for good reason.

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (Mz6GreyGhost @ Feb 11 2010, 10:45 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636237
If you have a MS6 and think you need snow chains, take a moment to reconsider your tires. The MS6 was available with summer tires, which are a HUGE mistake in any kind of snow, let alone cold weather in general. Do some research and invest in a good set of winter tires, either for your stock 18" rims, or (preferably) downsize to a set of 17" wheels and tires.

And no, chains aren't recommended for the 6, and for good reason.[/b]
Please heed the advice of the moderator. I'd switch to all season performance tires--how about the Falken HS439s?--but the chains would be an ill-considered and potentially dangerous mistake. Thanks.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Don't use chains. Invest in a set of 16" snow tires - 205/60-R16 is what I have. I drive up to VT for skiing a lot - they have done well for me.

You're not supposed to use chains, it might even be stated in the owner's manual.

For me, I keep a set of Autosock in my trunk for "just in case" possibility.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,543 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
I was wondering the same thing since I live in the south and rarely need snow tires, but when we get bad weather, the roads suck around here. Not worth keeping a whole extra set of wheels and tires around for 3 or 4 bad snow days. I always wonder about those other things that take place of chains, like snow claws or something like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts