Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Michigan just recieved a lot of snow. While driving to school today I saw a pile of snow about 1 and a half feet high, and I was unable to avoid it as the idiot next to me wouldn't let me merge. Regardless, I had to hit it, and now theirs snow in the area behind my lower grill.

Affect my performance?

Also, on a side note when I was driving back from lunch I heard a loud crunch from my back right tire. Theres no body damage so could it be the rear differential snapping?

Help please?

edit please: The snow is only in the lower parts. Only about an inch about it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hitting a snow plow can damage the bumper for sure. As far as snow stuck on your bumper, it adds weight and disrupt airflow. You probably wont even feel it.

Loud noise from the wheel? Depends on the noise, it could be anything like sand or chunk of ice hitting your wheelwell.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
There's snow on my IC right now!!! Who wants to run with me?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well Michigan just recieved a lot of snow. While driving to school today I saw a pile of snow about 1 and a half feet high, and I was unable to avoid it as the idiot next to me wouldn't let me merge. Regardless, I had to hit it, and now theirs snow in the area behind my lower grill.

Affect my performance?

Also, on a side note when I was driving back from lunch I heard a loud crunch from my back right tire. Theres no body damage so could it be the rear differential snapping?

Help please?

edit please: The snow is only in the lower parts. Only about an inch about it.
[/b]

I am beginning to wonder if you were living in a bubble up till last month?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am beginning to wonder if you were living in a bubble up till last month?
[/b]
weatherwise?

If its weather related yeah Kalamazoo area's been in a bubble. First week of october snow, and then just two weeks ago I was crusing with my sunroof open.

If its cuz of my driving skills....yes I am a n00b at driving.

And yes, this is my first winter with a car. I had a permit with my dad's blazer in the snow but thats a whole different class.

·
Registered
127 Posts
As far as the snow, unless its completely covering your filter, theres nothing to worry about. Theres not enough water when it mealts to actually travel up the pipe. As far as the noise you heard, it could have just been a chunck of compacted snow caught in the wheel well, and usually when it mealts, its not pleasant. If you run over it, its a pretty loud crunch

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as the snow, unless its completely covering your filter, theres nothing to worry about. Theres not enough water when it mealts to actually travel up the pipe. As far as the noise you heard, it could have just been a chunck of compacted snow caught in the wheel well, and usually when it mealts, its not pleasant. If you run over it, its a pretty loud crunch
[/b]
Thanks. I was worried about hydro-locking but its all good now.

As for the crunch, I'm just glad its not my rear diff or something like that.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well Michigan just recieved a lot of snow. While driving to school today I saw a pile of snow about 1 and a half feet high, and I was unable to avoid it as the idiot next to me wouldn't let me merge. Regardless, I had to hit it, and now theirs snow in the area behind my lower grill. [/b]
Hey that pedal in the middle always works! or slam it into a lower gear. Next time think about what could be behind the pile of snow. :nono:

I am waiting for the day when you post about how to change a flat or when you total your car.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey that pedal in the middle always works! or slam it into a lower gear. Next time think about what could be behind the pile of snow. :nono:

I am waiting for the day when you post about how to change a flat or when you total your car.
[/b]
No i'm not a complete dumbass. I didn't go "hey look a snow pile, I should drive through it" I tried to stop, unfortunately, being on all-seasons and not dedicated winters required that I didn't stop soon enough.

And I know how to change a flat...

And your confidence is quite inspiring.

·
Registered
679 Posts
No i'm not a complete dumbass. [/b]

I will settle for partial. :nana:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts

[/b]

and I'll bet you'll have an equally unsympathetic reply to that too.

maybe not everyone is as much of an expert with their car as you believe you are, wouldn't it be nicer to say something constructive and maybe even helpful instead of talking down to them?

just a thought.............

·
Registered
679 Posts
Why would I reply to myself?

Why someone would post about running into a snow pile because they couldn't merge is beyond me! Use the brakes! It's pretty simple. You don't need to be an expert to know how to use those. It's like telling everyone you don't know what you're doing...with no shame. I don't know everything but I would never tell anyone about that. These types of drivers scare me...and I hope you too.

·
Registered
493 Posts
And I know how to change a flat...
[/b]
I found out the hard way that Mazda shipped my car with an unlubricated jack screw. I've never had that much trouble changing a tire before - it took about 25 minutes.

Anyone that hasn't used the jack yet is advised to check this out before you need to change a tire in the rain or snow.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I found out the hard way that Mazda shipped my car with an unlubricated jack screw. I've never had that much trouble changing a tire before - it took about 25 minutes.

Anyone that hasn't used the jack yet is advised to check this out before you need to change a tire in the rain or snow.
[/b]

Thanks for pointing that out, i'll check that out tomorrow!

Other than that, this thread is pretty much useless from this point on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
...I tried to stop, unfortunately, being on all-seasons and not dedicated winters required that I didn't stop soon enough...[/b]
In Michigan, dedicated snow tires are a must IMHO. And surely with these tires, you will continue to enjoy your car during the winter season.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Why would I reply to myself?

Why someone would post about running into a snow pile because they couldn't merge is beyond me! Use the brakes! It's pretty simple. You don't need to be an expert to know how to use those. It's like telling everyone you don't know what you're doing...with no shame. I don't know everything but I would never tell anyone about that. These types of drivers scare me...and I hope you too.
[/b]
Exactly, what if it wasn't a snow pile? What if it was another car, or something equally solid?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts