Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has been pretty slick in Denver the last couple of days because of snow. Well tonight just plain sucked. See while I was pulling out of my neighborhood maybe going 15 MPH I started to slide while I turned. I tried to stop but no such luck and I slid sideways in to the curb. Now my steering wheel is off and it sounds like I broke something up in the front. Any ideas as far as how bad I could have messed stuff up? Do you think that there maybe any way to get the dealer to fix anything?

·
Registered
62 Posts
When I had my RX-8 I was taking a corner and took it too tight. I curbed my right rear wheel probably going about the same speed as you were, maybe more. Luckily enough for me nothing was damaged except my rim got scuffed. Anyway, the thing that can easily break are the control arms. Take a look under the car and see if everything is alright.

·
Registered
112 Posts
So it has been pretty slick in Denver the last couple of days because of snow. Well tonight just plain sucked. See while I was pulling out of my neighborhood maybe going 15 MPH I started to slide while I turned. I tried to stop but no such luck and I slid sideways in to the curb. Now my steering wheel is off and it sounds like I broke something up in the front. Any ideas as far as how bad I could have messed stuff up? Do you think that there maybe any way to get the dealer to fix anything?
[/b]
You probably bent a tie rod if your wheel is not facing straight while driving straight... That's usually the weak link of the front suspension... One tip tho... if you ever know you are going to hit a curb... turn the wheel straight drive up it, rather than try to keep turning and slam the wheel sideways into the curb. Driving up the curb does less damage, and puts less stress on your suspension.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I hit a curb doing like 5 mph on the right side. Bent the strut, 3 control arms and the wheel bearing. Cost about $1150. The mazda dealership wouldn't even touch it. I had to take it to a frame shop. It just started pulling again to the right. I decided to not even used INS. Still have the cracked rim at home too.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm down on the south side in Centennial, yeah it's been coming down pretty good here the last couple days. Although I picked up a set of Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero snow tires a while ago, and OMG what a difference they made. Seriously this thing is a tank now. After you get your car fixed, if you can afford it I would highly recommend getting a set of dedicated set of snow tires, they're definately worth it. Good luck sorting everything out though.

·
Registered
358 Posts
You probably bent a tie rod if your wheel is not facing straight while driving straight... That's usually the weak link of the front suspension... One tip tho... if you ever know you are going to hit a curb... turn the wheel straight drive up it, rather than try to keep turning and slam the wheel sideways into the curb. Driving up the curb does less damage, and puts less stress on your suspension.
[/b]
Let off the brakes right before hitting the curb as well, so you will drive up it rather than crash into it.

Although obviously a better plan is to avoid hitting them in the first place ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
for the more experienced (scary but works) gas, opposite lock and hope it grips if not try to minimize the damage .

·
Registered
595 Posts
for the more experienced (scary but works) gas, opposite lock and hope it grips if not try to minimize the damage .
[/b]
not with the stock tires

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah it has been really slick in Denver. The stock tires are worthless in winter. I live in Englewood and I can barley make it out of my driveway spinning all four tires!

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Man, this thread reminds me I need to get on the damn ball and replace these stocks ASAP... before the first snowfall.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Man, this thread reminds me I need to get on the damn ball and replace these stocks ASAP... before the first snowfall.
[/b]
+2

We got an inch thick sheet of ice on EVERYTHING. Powerlines down and sparking EVERYWHERE. I'm typing this from Panera, as I have no power in my house right now becuase ice took down the power poll in my neighbor's backyard.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Yeah it has been really slick in Denver. The stock tires are worthless in winter. I live in Englewood and I can barley make it out of my driveway spinning all four tires! [/b]
I'm down in Centennial, right near there :D Get a set of snow tires man, the difference is HUGE.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Rofl... I drove in light snow on the stocks 2 weeks after I picked her up... TERRIBLE.... granted she did better than the honda behind me....

Since then i've noticed I can easily slide around on DRY pavement... (when I had the stock tires)... i've recently replaced them with.... something new don't remember... Anyway.. HUGE difference... I drive like a tool.. floor the car around corners all the time.. and she just goes.. sticks to the road and goes....

I don't know why the stock tires are SOOOO expencive... but they seem to suck for just about everything....

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The stock tires don't suck when used in the right conditions. I like the way they handle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm down in Centennial, right near there :D Get a set of snow tires man, the difference is HUGE.
[/b]
I'm to stubborn (and poor) to go get new snow tires... I've lived in Alaska all my life and have never bought snow tires because i've just gotten used to driving in the snow (snow on the ground 8 months of the year minimum)... albeit that I've never had street tires... usually all season work fine... (By the way, I'm sure I'm the only MS6 in Colorado with Alaska Plates, so if you see me around make sure to say hi...) so that and i'm interning so I don't make/have much money... :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so an update on my curb experience. First off I had a cracked rim, dealership wouldn't even look at my car until I got a new rim. Price $680 for one rim, I went the other route and bought after market rims. Now that I got the rims on there they have had it for two days trying to figure out what is wrong. I heard back from them today and they said bent Spindle, cost $400+ to fix it. Now they continued to tell me that they have to replace this before they can even tell if anything else is bent or broken. So it has been two weeks, almost a couple thousand dollars and still not sure what else needs to be fixed. RIDICULOUS!!!!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Wow. That blows, although the dealership shouldn't be that retarded when it comes to looking at whats damaged. I don't think that looking at damaged things has to go in a sequential order unless one thing damages another.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts