Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

So i was REALLY curious about this cars ability to read back SMS messages. I have my iphone 5 hooked up via BLUETOOTH with pandora streaming just fine, and my phonebook downloading correctly...but EVERY time i want to download my sms messages, I keep getting an error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just found out the same for my iPhone 5. I had the 4S and i won't work either. I guess I'll try it with the phone plugged into USB and see if that will make it a go.
Lol, that does not work either...tried it. I heard its something to do with a bluetooth protocol called MAP 1.0 which i guess the iphone doesn't support. Whether its an update from Apple or an update from Mazda we need to gain this functionality is a mystery...

I was really looking forward to this too :(

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MAP

Message Access Profile (MAP)

"Message Access Profile (MAP)[4] specification allows exchange of messages between devices. Mostly used for automotive handsfree use. The MAP profile can also be used for other uses that require the exchange of messages between two devices. The automotive Hands-Free use case is where an on-board terminal device (typically an electronic device as a Car-Kit installed in the car) can talk via messaging capability to another communication device (typically a mobile phone). For example, Bluetooth MAP is used by HP Send and receive text (SMS) messages from a Palm/HP smartphone to an HP TouchPad tablet.[5] Bluetooth MAP is used by Ford in select SYNC Generation 1-equipped 2011 and 2012 vehicles [6] and also by BMW with many of their iDrive systems. The Lexus LX and GS 2013 models both also support MAP as does the Honda CRV 2012, Acura 2013 and ILX 2013. Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS 6 for the iPhone and iPad."

So if Apple introduced Bluetooth MAP in iOS6...why is it not working? Hmmm....

I am looking to see if there is a jailbreak for this as well...

·
Registered
331 Posts
There should be a firmware update next week to solve the issue. Those who have a Mazda6 equipped with nav, the update will occur automatically. Those w/o will have to go to the dealer.
Thanks for the info, but: just curious:
what's the source for this information? And how can an update occur automatically?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks for the info, but: just curious:
what's the source for this information? And how can an update occur automatically?
Im a Mazda dealer.

Here is a little more accurate info. The update for the ones equipped with nav will come via the SD card, from my understanding. The dealer can update your SD card. Those w/o nav need the firmware update via the OBDII.

Updates should be right around the corner

·
Registered
45 Posts
Im a Mazda dealer.

Here is a little more accurate info. The update for the ones equipped with nav will come via the SD card, from my understanding. The dealer can update your SD card. Those w/o nav need the firmware update via the OBDII.

Thanks for that info, Aviboy97. I figure I'll wait until my first service to have them apply the update (CEL issue and firmware). Unless they call me in sooner.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Im a Mazda dealer.

Thanks again - will the dealer/service dept call the owners or somehow notify them when this update becomes available or will WE have to watch out for it and notify THEM to get it done?

( I was mistaken, I guess - I always thought the SD card was for nav/GPS functions only, but I guess it can access other functions of the unit as well, like phone functions...)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm taking my 2014 Mazda 6 Sport in for the CEL glitch system update/reflash tomorrow. I inquired about the firmware update for the head unit, and they do not have one yet. Hopefully, they get it soon.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I got my customer service call from Mazda asking me about the car, what I liked, didnt like, etc. The call was from their Irving, CA headquarters.

I mentioned the iPhone text messaging issue and she checked on it and there does NOT seem to be an update in the works. I know a few users said there may be a firmware upgrade but as far as i know there is nothing in the works (at this time).

She will be sending me my free gift (bonsai tree), though!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey Guys,

So i was REALLY curious about this cars ability to read back SMS messages. I have my iphone 5 hooked up via BLUETOOTH with pandora streaming just fine, and my phonebook downloading correctly...but EVERY time i want to download my sms messages, I keep getting an error.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim
One way to do it for now (which I've used the technique on several vehicles) is to press and hold the home button on your iphone when you feel/hear the notification from the phone itself. In a second or 2, Siri will be heard over the handsfree system and you can simply say "Read Text Message"...similarly, you can initiate Siri and compose text messages using the same idea. Its not perfect but it does allow handsfree use of the phone after you press and hold the home button (which I usually do while it is still in my pocket)...just a suggestion...

1 - 20 of 151 Posts