Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'04 6s sedan, auto, 33k mi, all stock. I've been experiencing intermittent, occasional instances of the car blowing heavy whitish smoke. Comes and goes, but tends to happen mostly at startup (can be cold or warmed up), when accelerating from standstill/idle, and in periods of stop and go driving. Has anyone seen this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
Originally posted by huntm856@Oct 16 2005, 01:49 PM
'04 6s sedan, auto, 33k mi, all stock.  I've been experiencing intermittent, occasional instances of the car blowing heavy whitish smoke.  Comes and goes, but tends to happen mostly at startup (can be cold or warmed up), when accelerating from standstill/idle, and in periods of stop and go driving.  Has anyone seen this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
[snapback]534962[/snapback]​
well white smoke usualy means a valve spring leak, ie one of the valves in your engine isnt sealed right when it should be. take it to the dealer before your warrenty is out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your responses. I got it to the dealer yesterday. Started it up and the tech said, 'not good.'

Keeping my fingers crossed. It IS under warranty still.

Now I only hope they fix it quick so I can get it back and get out of this crappy Daewoo loaner they gave me....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just talked to the dealer, a customer service type, unfortunately, not a mechanic.

She said that they had to order a part but expected the car to be ready tomorrow. I asked if she knew what the problem was and she said she thinks it's the PCM.

Does this make sense to anyone? I knew that white smoke is often associated with coolant getting into the engine--I've had leaky/blown head gaskets before-- but I didn't think this was the issue because (1) the problem was intermittent, and even after the car was fully warmed up it didn't do it all the time; (2) the car was not apparently losing coolant or overheating; (3) there wasn't any noticeable loss of power; (3) the oil still looks clear and clean; (4) the exhaust didn't have that syrupy-sweet glycol smell, just smelled like smoke.

I'm a little worried, though, because this is a new dealer--it's the same dealership where I bought the car--and even though they've been good so far I'm fast coming up on the end of my 36k full warranty (bought it 'certified' so I got an extended warranty for free, basically) and there's always a chance they're just trying to string it out to the point where the warranty lapses and I have to come at least somewhat out of pocket to fix it.

Any thoughts? Is there any way a PCM going bad could make a car smoke like that? Bad fuel ratio, valve or ignition timing problem, something like that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Originally posted by huntm856@Oct 18 2005, 06:52 PM
Just talked to the dealer, a customer service type, unfortunately, not a mechanic.

She said that they had to order a part but expected the car to be ready tomorrow.  I asked if she knew what the problem was and she said she thinks it's the PCM.

Does this make sense to anyone?  I knew that white smoke is often associated with coolant getting into the engine--I've had leaky/blown head gaskets before-- but I didn't think this was the issue because (1) the problem was intermittent, and even after the car was fully warmed up it didn't do it all the time; (2) the car was not apparently losing coolant or overheating; (3) there wasn't any noticeable loss of power; (3) the oil still looks clear and clean; (4) the exhaust didn't have that syrupy-sweet glycol smell, just smelled like smoke.

I'm a little worried, though, because this is a new dealer--it's the same dealership where I bought the car--and even though they've been good so far I'm fast coming up on the end of my 36k full warranty (bought it 'certified' so I got an extended warranty for free, basically) and there's always a chance they're just trying to string it out to the point where the warranty lapses and I have to come at least somewhat out of pocket to fix it.

Any thoughts?  Is there any way a PCM going bad could make a car smoke like that?  Bad fuel ratio, valve or ignition timing problem, something like that?
[snapback]536931[/snapback]​
Isn't the warranty suppose to be 48,000 miles/4 years?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by RW54@Oct 18 2005, 02:58 PM
Isn't the warranty suppose to be 48,000 miles/4 years?
[snapback]536937[/snapback]​
I thought it was 3/36 so I hope you're right. :)

Anyway, I got the car back this morning. Apparently it was a minor thing--a stuck PCV. Seems good now.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Triisomy21@Oct 26 2005, 08:10 PM
I think I might have this as well. I sometimes see white "smoke" coming out of my exhaust. I should probably take it to the dealership huh...
[snapback]543541[/snapback]​
Yeah, I'd say so, definitely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,671 Posts
Originally posted by iammike@Oct 17 2005, 03:20 AM
The moral of the story....get it to a dealership ASAP.
[snapback]535386[/snapback]​
There really wasn't much of a story. There certainly wasn't a "moral."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,748 Posts
Ya sometimes people expel white smoke when its really cold too...

Don't mistake white smoke for condensation. The two are drastically different.

Condensation is the car basically producing fog. The "smoke" disappears almost immediately, unless its seriously cold outside.

Actual white smoke dissipates instead of rapidly vanishing. ie. You'll see it float away slowly and punch babies in the face.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top