Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help?

I have a 2003 Mazda 6 2.0TD and for the past few months it has started smoking quite bad when started from cold. Our drive is reasonably steep and this seems to affect it more although it has been in to the garage and they can't seem to replicate the conditions. Smoke appears to be oil rather than diesel although can't be sure.

They have checked the glow plugs and these all work fine and the engine management is reporting no faults so it has to be mechanical, its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Mechanic has checked the turbo and this seems fine.

Has anyone else come across this problem. If anyone has any ideas it might help locate the problem.

Thanks.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone help?

I have a 2003 Mazda 6 2.0TD and for the past few months it has started smoking quite bad when started from cold. Our drive is reasonably steep and this seems to affect it more although it has been in to the garage and they can't seem to replicate the conditions. Smoke appears to be oil rather than diesel although can't be sure.

They have checked the glow plugs and these all work fine and the engine management is reporting no faults so it has to be mechanical, its like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Mechanic has checked the turbo and this seems fine.

Has anyone else come across this problem. If anyone has any ideas it might help locate the problem.

Thanks.
[/b]
Thanks for the comments. I have not changed diesel suppliers. The smoke is blue / white...not really that good with cars so can't be sure whether it is diesel or oil. I did think it could be a seal that has gone, problem is finding it.

The only other thing it could be is related to timing (according to my man at the garage).

·
Registered
226 Posts
A couple of thoughts: another member on here is now on his 3rd turbo after reporting similar symptoms. How is your performance? Also it might be worth doing a couple of "Italian tuneups", ie using high revs in lower gears to clean the exhaust system out - I don't know how you drive normally, but sometimes our diesels can fail emissions tests because the exhaust clogs up with particulates etc due to not being driven hard, so that might help. Otherwise... I'm no mechanic so can't speculate further!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
madlandrover
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing