Mazda 6 Forums banner

smoked for the first time

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  cccpms6 
#1 ·
So after 2 years of no problems my car is starting to smoke. I am planning on changing to 5-40 oil today but I would like some opinions on what I should do if the turbo is gone. I hope its not the case but I guess I'm ready for the worse.

My car is an 06 so the factory warrenty is out even though I have 43k miles on it. So about the turbo, would a new stock turbo be worth buying or would it be cheaper/better to go with say a gt28 or some other slightly bigger turbo? And what supporting mods would I need if I was to go with a gt28, would that turbo bolt onto the stock manifold and downpipe?

Thanks for all the help, any suggestions would be nice.

#6 ·
I've had a testpipe for well over 3 months I think. It smoked for the first time a couple of weeks ago but I wasn't able to get it to smoke again till 2 days ago.

I let it idle for like 15 minutes today with the ac off and no smoke at all, but as soon as I turned on the ac it started to smoke lightly right away than build up to a fairly thick smoke.

#9 ·
you can also look up what bnoon bolt is. It worked wonders for me.

#10 ·
I would not want to go back to the stock exhaust.

So I seafoamed today and since than I haven't been able to reproduce the exhaust smoke from the oil burning off. I got a nice cloud from the seafoam treatment but since than no more exhaust smoke. I really don't think there is any connection between these to things but I'm still switching to 5w40 tomorrow.

But thanks for the tip about the bnoon bolt, I'll look into it. And after your install of the bnoon bolt did you revert back to 5w30 or did you never switch?

Thanks

#12 ·
That is if you pour it in with the oil, I use the brake booster vacuum line so technically I don't even need to change my oil right after this but I'll be switching to 5w40 now so I'll change it to that.

And I let my car idle for a good twenty minutes the morning and no smoke but than I went in turned some things on like the lights, turned up the ac to full blast and than it started smoking up.

I guess at idle rpms when the car has a slight load on it from the ac or the alternator or anything than it starts to smoke.

One more thing though, does anybody know if there might be a bigger problem in the near future if I did nothing about the smoking? Basically what I'm asking is if the turbo or anything else might break on me if I do not address the smoke problem now or ever?

#13 ·
weird, i smoke when my rpms/load is down. I actually leave it at 900/1000 to prevent it from smoking.

Nah, shouldn't damage anything. just gets the pipes full of carbon residue so it gets pretty dirty. I don't see why it would damage the turbo though, except for burnt deposits... I'll let someone else answer that. but my not-very-educated guess would say no.

#14 ·
Sorry for bringing this topic back but I've changed to 5w-40 since I put this up and today I noticed it smoking once again. Truthfully I don't mind it but I am worried about it having some effect on the turbo. I've been a member of this forum for a little while already and have read up about the smoking problem but I don't remember anything about the smoke causing more complicated problems, but I would like to be on the safe side.

I am currently low on funds so getting an AP is out of the question but is there some cheap alternative to stopping the smoke? I've seen some good reviews about the bnoon bolt but for those that have it does it really help?

#16 ·
Once again I'm bumping this up, sorry everyone, but today I've found another thing, I popped open my hood and let it idle for a little and after about 3 mins smoke started coming out of the turbo. I don't really know all the terminology but it seemed like the smoke was coming from the intake side of the turbo. even with 5w-40 my exhaust was smoking in less than a minute.

Do i have a leak somewhere? I mean the exhaust smoke I understand but the smoke from the turbo has me a little worried.

#17 ·
I used the bnoon bolt with 5w 30 oil with no smoke. I'm telling you need to try it out. It's cheaper then buying more oil. I just switch over to 5w40 just for the hell of it. Now I'm also using the PTP pill which I smoked with, so that's why I added the bnoon bolt.

I had very similar symptoms as you. It was a long time ago though, I returned my car to stock planning on bringing it in to the dealer to have them warranty it but once it was stocked out it never smoked. GL this is something a lot of have gone through, and it personally drove me nuts!

#19 ·
Ok man thanks, sorry I'm just panicking a little, but yeah I am slightly above the line on the dip stick so it is slightly overfilled. But I'll give a shot at the bnoon bolt, I've only heard good things about it so far. But thanks for the input, I am just really worried about my turbo going bad. But after searching yesterday everywhere my mind was put at peace.

Thanks everyone

#20 ·
I don't blame you for freaking out, but I guess in the end if it's blown you get a new turbo? haha But who wants to spend that amount of money with out planning for it.

#21 ·
Yeah thats the thing, I mean if I had the money now I wouldn't mind maybe going with a gt28 but its just something I don't have now.

With those of you with a gt28, could you tell me if the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe would fit the flanges? Basically could I bolt one straight on?

#22 ·
As far as I know, a gt28 should be direct bolt on. I could be wrong though :D

#23 ·
Hey Ccpms6, has anything worked out for your smoke fix? I put my dp and mani in 2 weeks ago and a few days later the smoke was there for the first time. Its progressively gotten worse, not terrible to the point I can't drive it but annoying enough to be embarrassing at red lights, stop signs, or slow downs in traffic. Even when it doesn't happen it stresses me out because I keep watching for it. I can usually smell it before I see it. The only way I have been able to manage it has been putting on the e-brake in neutral and lightly/slowly reving to 1-1.5k at stops. That usually either stops it or it comes out slowly rather than a cloud at once. The downside of that is if I rev too fast people think I'm an idiot trying to race the minivan that happens to be next to me and I look like a crackhead sniffing around every time I stop. I'm starting to feel modders remorse, it has taken all the fun out of driving.

#24 ·
Since switching to 5w-40 I haven't done anything else to the car to try to fix the smoking. Honestly I've stopped worrying about it and enjoy the smoke show sometimes lol. If there are some of my friends around they generally start yelling for me to shut down my engine and other things, its always interesting to see people reactions lol.

But honestly with your mods I would really look into a Cobb AP. You would really be able to exploit your mods all the way with a good tune through a cobb. Also than you could just set your idle higher and not worry about playing with the throttle.

My car has been smoking less for the past week or two actually. Generally if I stay out of boost completely than after I come to a stop the car doesn't smoke. But if I hit boost than yeah it will start.

If you can't get a cobb now than I would look into the bnoon bolt which is like $40 I believe.

Or if anything I'd like to take some mods off your hands ;) lol

good luck in finding a solution. If you have the money now than an AP would be something to get or just get the bnoon bolt or even better get both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.