Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed for a little while that my MS6 spits a lot of smoke out of the exhaust under hard acceleration. I'm almost positive that the smoke is white but honestly sometimes it's hard to tell.

I've heard the Speed6 is becoming well known for running rich - am I just experiencing that everytime I'm at WOT?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah, I remember when I first picked my ms6 up (and many times after that)... I looked in the rearview mirror after a hard accelleration and it looked like I had just driven through a bit of dust on the road.

My guess would be a small amount of black smoke from the fuel-dump-o-matic engine management.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Yeah. I had that smoke screen shoot out of my Speed too.

·
Registered
561 Posts
correct me if i am worng, but i think BLACK smoke is running rich and White smoke is burning oil or possibly coolant? you should be able to smell the difference also, unburnt fuel smells just like it should. burning oil smells more sharp, like burning plastic almost. hard to describe. when in doubt have it checked out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
white: coolant
blue-grey: oil
black: rich

I gotta say - it does look a little white when I check the rear-view though...

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Oil smoke can look white if you're trying to glance back...

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
I had the coolant smoke and sometimes the rich black stuff. The coolant was fix under warranty.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm, I'll try to have someone follow me this weekend. Sounds like I should schedule a service appointment just to be safe.

·
Registered
51 Posts
add me to the list as well. Car is going into garage tomorrow. I'm seeing white smoke out the back. They tested the coolant sytems preassure and she is losing 2lbs.

8000kms on car :(

·
Registered
79 Posts
now exactly how much smoke were you seeing? Any at idle? When would you notice the smoke? What types of driving would create the most smoke?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For me, smoke only under WOT.

Still haven't had a chance to look at it. So busy with finals.

What causes a motor to burn up coolant?

·
Registered
51 Posts
happened under hard acceleration for me, and not everytime either. I am hoping I caught it early. At idle, I am not sure if I am seeing normal cold air exahust stuff, since it's winter here, or white smoke. But under hard Acceleration it was dead obvious something was coming out the back as it was a large white cloud enough to completely block my rear vision.

Car has been in garage since monday. Now wednesday. I got a CX-7 to drive though :) Cool rig, but the pits on gas.

I think Turbo/gaskets are being replaced. Guys got the parts really quick.....thank god. Forseeing any other issue, I should have it back tomorrow.

Crossing fingers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
new gaskets, turbo, o2 sensor = no more smoke...yet.

But, I hear my turbo spin up very easily now. Why is that? should I be concerned. Car seems sluggish as well. Turbo might need to break in?, car ECU was reset as radio/windows messed up when I got it back.

Any idea's?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmmm... what did you do to get the CX-7? I want to take mine in just as a precautionary thing. I just don't want to get stuck in some urine smelling rental car!

How long did it take them to fix it?

·
Registered
51 Posts
They offered me the cx-7. I had to fill out some sort of survey at the end to give them my opinion of it. Nice rig actually, hard on gas though.

Car went into shop on Monday, had parts brought in from the USA yesterday, got car back this morning, thursday. Nice turnaround time for what they had to do really.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts