Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my car in for large clouds of smoke after 5 to 10 min of warm idle. They claim to have never seen it and won't touch the car till it's back to factory specs. So if you have had a smoke issue (A)was it at idle or acceleration and (B)is your car modified? I called CPE and they said it's a known issue with the stock cars but i need help proving it to the dealer. I've printed off other threads but want to give everyone a chance to chime in.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I took my car in for large clouds of smoke after 5 to 10 min of warm idle. They claim to have never seen it and won't touch the car till it's back to factory specs. So if you have had a smoke issue (A)was it at idle or acceleration and (B)is your car modified? I called CPE and they said it's a known issue with the stock cars but i need help proving it to the dealer. I've printed off other threads but want to give everyone a chance to chime in.
[/b]
I get larges clouds of white smoke that smell like oil every now and again. I've only ever noticed it after a long idle, and it always goes away after a few miles of driving. I have never noticed any oil loss on the dipstick.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
[/b]

What mods have you done to your car that made the dealer say they won't touch it?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I get smoke under hard acceleration, only. I used to get that on every car that I have ever had, just maybe more so with this one. The way I look at it, more power = burns more fuel = more exhaust smoke under hard driving.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I get smoke under hard acceleration, only. I used to get that on every car that I have ever had, just maybe more so with this one. The way I look at it, more power = burns more fuel = more exhaust smoke under hard driving. [/b]
More power does NOT = more smoke.... ANY smoke means your motor has issues OR (in my cars case) you gte BLACK smoke which means unburnt fuel and an absurdly rich condition!

·
Registered
532 Posts
To date, my speed6 has not had issues w/ smoke. But with my little knowledge of cars, I know that smoke is not a good thing...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Black smoke....only when flooring it and when cold.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I took my car in for large clouds of smoke after 5 to 10 min of warm idle. ...[/b]
provide the color of the smoke your noticing...

·
Registered
211 Posts
White/blue smoke I bet... a couple weeks ago I was sitting in traffic downtown for a long time and my car began to do the smoking thing. It filled up the entire block; everyone was staring at my car. I looked around and none of the other vehicles had smoke trails longer than a foot or so. I have taken it to the dealer and asked them to check this problem 3 times now and they "can’t reproduce the problem"

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thick White smoke under hard acceleration. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, because I can't reproduce the problem. It's only happened a couple of times, and it's scared the shit out of me each time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I had white smoke and a smell almost like burning oil, but it only happened once, and while at a drive through (yet touch free!) car wash. Haha I have a Chevron card, and they always offer you those damned reduced price , touch free car washes. They rope you in with them!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
More power does NOT = more smoke.... ANY smoke means your motor has issues OR (in my cars case) you gte BLACK smoke which means unburnt fuel and an absurdly rich condition!
[/b]
I repeat, every car I have ever owned has done this under hard acceleration. Does that mean that they all had/have issues? My neighbors Z28 SS does it too, when he is "showing off" in front of me. One of my other neighbor's brand new Maximas did the same thing, to about the same volume as my Speed 6 does, just this morning when he was showing off a bit too. Should I go tell the both of them their cars have problems like mine? I think not, none of them have problems. Any constant smoke when the car is NOT under load is a sign of a serious issue. Excessive clouds of smoke under hard acceleration are also a sign of issues. That is not the case here. I also repeat, If you burn more fuel to get more power you get more exhaust. If you don't where do you think the exhaust from the additional burned fuel goes? Does it magically dissapear? It is just a fact. I beleive you have a point on the black smoke due to rich run/unburnt fuel. This would show up under hard acceleration and in sun light the black smoke, depending on how thick can appear grey/white. Personally, that is what I am seeing on my Speed 6, and I beleive others have seen, as well. Again, EVERY car I have ever owned has done this (Beretta, 2 Ford Probes, 6s). I haven't noticed any more noticable smoke at start up or idle.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Mine smokes after idling for 5-10 minutes. The dealer has found an oil leak however so we'll see if that's the cause. Once I get the car repaired and returned to me I'll check it. If it continues to do it, I'll try it again after the new turbo is put in to see if it still does it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have CPE's intake, BOV, and catback installed by them. I talked to Josh yesterday and i can't rememberer exactly how the problem starts maybe they can log on and state the problem as they know it. However i know he said the reason people with the stock exhaust can't see it as much is because of the dual chambers so half as much smoke on each side and large cats that burn most of the oil off when driving. So i'm guessing this is why they see the large cloud after a short idle and then on the accelerator pushing out the smoke in one shot and why others see a steady stream at idle. And it is defiantly and oil smoke.

I repeat, every car I have ever owned has done this under hard acceleration. Does that mean that they all had/have issues? My neighbors Z28 SS does it too, when he is "showing off" in front of me. One of my other neighbor's brand new Maximas did the same thing, to about the same volume as my Speed 6 does, just this morning when he was showing off a bit too. Should I go tell the both of them their cars have problems like mine? I think not, none of them have problems. Any constant smoke when the car is NOT under load is a sign of a serious issue. Excessive clouds of smoke under hard acceleration are also a sign of issues. That is not the case here. I also repeat, If you burn more fuel to get more power you get more exhaust. If you don't where do you think the exhaust from the additional burned fuel goes? Does it magically dissapear? It is just a fact. I beleive you have a point on the black smoke due to rich run/unburnt fuel. This would show up under hard acceleration and in sun light the black smoke, depending on how thick can appear grey/white. Personally, that is what I am seeing on my Speed 6, and I beleive others have seen, as well. Again, EVERY car I have ever owned has done this (Beretta, 2 Ford Probes, 6s). I haven't noticed any more noticable smoke at start up or idle.
[/b]
trust me you don't want to be behind me in stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Mine has never smoked at idle, but the few times it's smoked while getting on it, it was a TON of smoke. Bright White smoke that covered both sides of the road. It was like a sudden blast of white smoke out the back.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Since some people are saying they've had turbos repaired or replaced, is it possible that it's simply the turbo allowing some of the oil or coolant to seap out of the exhaust side of the turbo?

Has anyone noticed some oil consumption?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Has anyone noticed some oil consumption?

yes mine is on the low mark after only 900 miles, it was full the night i brought it home

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I thought that happened to me too. But i shrugged it off thinking maybe I somehow forgot to check the level after I changed my oil last.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have been monitoring my oil levels and mine was a little lower that the full line but not anything out of the ordinary. It has been almost 3k since my last change. I have noticed that this car leaves more black soot in the exhaust than my last cars did. I can clean it and drive it once and the fake exhaust tips are already black when the one drive is over.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts