Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I started driving my 03 6s, I came on the boards and read that a smells pretty bad the first few miles.

Now that I have my MS6, I smelt something pretty bad and thought it was the same procedure, but 3000 miles later and still the smell stays although not that strong. So Saturday I was vacuuming the interior and since the vacuum was broken I backed up and moved up again to the next vacuum (engine running for a couple of minutes during while prepping to vacuum) and there was a huge cloud of white smoke and it stank. Probably more noticeable since the car was running and just backed up and went up. Who knows how long this has been happening since during normal driving you wouldn’t notice it. I called the dealer up and will be taking it in tomorrow, but what could this be? I don’t want any BS from the dealer…

Update: Got the car back after almost 3 weeks and the service manager told me the intercooler was changed along with gaskets for a total of around $2k worth of work/parks. She advised me I should file for the lemon law since the car has only 4k miles and already a faulty intercooler and it was out of comission for 21 calendar days. (NJ law says: A new motor vehicle is presumed to be a lemon if it has one or more defects that continue to exist after three attempts at repairs, OR after the vehicle has been out of service for a total of 20 cumulative calendar days.) However the dealer gets another chance to fix what was wrong with the car...

So should I even do this? Advice?

·
Registered
364 Posts
white smoke could be condensation and the stink is from unburnt fuel perhaps?

·
Registered
305 Posts
white smoke could be condensation and the stink is from unburnt fuel perhaps?
[/b]
Or worst case, it's coolant - you'll know soon enough - if so, take a moment to thank who ever it is that invented the "warrenty".

·
Registered
217 Posts
My exhaust always smells like coolant when I start it...I take it this is not normal?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My exhaust always smells like coolant when I start it...I take it this is not normal?
[/b]
Well, I was driving back home and decided to stop to vacuum so the car was more than warmed up. I don’t recall smelling anything in the morning in my case.

·
Registered
305 Posts
[/b]
No, it's not - coolant smell and white smoke usually means a head gasket issue (or even a cracked head) -

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it's not - coolant smell and white smoke usually means a head gasket issue (or even a cracked head) -
[/b]
Oh great. A lady came up to me and the wife while the cloud of smoke was intense and said her car had the same problem and might be a head gasket... Dammit. I dropped it at the dealer. Let's see what happens.

·
Registered
391 Posts
[/b]
/agree. Your car shouldn't be burning coolant under any circumstances, and if it is, you can be all but guaranteed it's a cylinder head issue.

I went through that with my Mustang......twice.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I got back from the dealer today and they said they checked everything (saw the paper the technician wrote on) and all they did was reflash. Smoother, yes.

They told me the car runs rich and when left in idle for too long it will smoke. And it did because on the way back home I stopped by my parents house and left the car running and again the white smoke was evident. Is this true!? Or should I go to another dealer to have this checked out?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
So I got back from the dealer today and they said they checked everything (saw the paper the technician wrote on) and all they did was reflash. Smoother, yes.

They told me the car runs rich and when left in idle for too long it will smoke. And it did because on the way back home I stopped by my parents house and left the car running and again the white smoke was evident. Is this true!? Or should I go to another dealer to have this checked out?
[/b]

Go to another dealer. I'm sure all our MS6's run just as rich as yours. I can't speak for everyone else but I know mine doesn't smoke. I've let my car idle for hours listening to the radio and I've never noticed any white smoke, and the only smells I've ever noticed are just normal smells from the plastics heating up under the hood.

·
Registered
305 Posts

[/b]
White smoke has nothing to do with running rich - you might want to ask your dealer what he's smokin'

·
Registered
217 Posts
[/b]
I haven't checked back on this thread. Thanks for information. I am going to take it in to the dealer later this week. It has also started knocking loudly on warm up. Then, once the car has warmed up, it goes away.

P.S. Liquid blue sorry to hijack your thread.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:sigh: I’ll take it to the ‘far’ dealer then. Last time they didn’t give me a rental... reason being until they found that it’s warranty work. This being the dealer with the ‘best service in NJ,’ I’ll ask for them to show me another MS6 doing the same... Losing faith in this car.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
did anyone that is having this problem check their coolant level/color?

had my MS6 since December and never saw any white smoke...

·
Registered
217 Posts
did anyone that is having this problem check their coolant level/color?

had my MS6 since December and never saw any white smoke...
[/b]
My coolant level reads right near 'Low'. Unfortunately, I haven't monitored the levels since I bought the car.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My coolant level reads right near 'Low'. Unfortunately, I haven't monitored the levels since I bought the car.
[/b]
My coolant reads like yours. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday. Will update then....

·
Registered
217 Posts
My coolant reads like yours. I'm taking it back to the dealer Monday. Will update then....
[/b]
i haven't been able to get to the dealer. I am very curious to see how yours turns out.

·
Registered
651 Posts
My wife was driving our MS6 and she knows how to drive it. I was driving behind her and she was accellerating, not WOT but I could tell when she was shifting because white smoke would come out the exhaust every time she shifted. Engine was at normal operating temp, ambient temp was 75 and coolant level was normal. and we were driving on a rural road. I have seen this more than once now. Any suggestions or has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got a call from the dealer and they couldn't replicate the problem, so I explained they should leave it idle for about 5 to 10 mins more after a quick warm-up drive. I called back and they're taking the engine apart (taking a look at the turbo, actually). So I'm getting a loaner. Dammit!

No MS6 for undetermined amount of time? :swearin: Wonder what loaner I'll get.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hate to be positive when you are not very pleased. But hey, at least they are giving you a loaner and they are taking it seriously enough to actually do something about it.

Any word on when you may hear back from them.

I am living this with you. Mine goes in tomorrow and I suspect they will find nothing wrong until I am stopped at the side of a highway calling roadside assistance.

good luck and I will keep you informed on mine as well.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts