Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am noticing a strong smell from my AC when I turn it on. The smells goes away after about a minute. It smells kind of chemical in nature, but I cannot distinguish what it is. I have replaced the cabin air filter, so I know this is not the cause. I have been smelling it for about 2000 miles, just shortly after I bought it. What could be causing this and how can it be fixed?

2003 Mazda 6 S
43,000 miles

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Well how to fix it would depend on what it is. Is there any way for you to narrow down the type of chemical perhaps? Are you sure its not just a mildew-like smell? Thats very common in areas where the AC is used a lot and the humidity is high... though I don't know the weather in ND very well. If its not mildew, then its likely to be some kind of leak, such as your coolant. Something like this you can monitor by consistently checking the levels of your fluids and making sure none are leaking out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Is it an ashy smell? Sort of like cigarettes, but not quite.

·
Registered
434 Posts
yeh i think i get that smell too, it happens when i use the ac shut off the car to go buy stuff/meet ppl/watever, come back turn on the ac and arghhh that smell again.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Mine would smell like dirty socks... or like a mildew smell.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
ah, you guys are experiencing something some what common.
it is likely that mildew is growing inside your ac vents, this is a known issue with many ac systems.

problem is moisture inside the ac collects and eventually mold grows. i had a bit of it on my old car too, and so did my sisters civic.

you should be able to find something like this at your auto store:
http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Conditioner-Tre...t/dp/B0006FMF7K

Key is to get rid of the mold... which means running your ac with the circulation pulling fresh air in.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/060614.htm
emember that vivid description of a bad odour. It is likely caused by mould growing in the moist dark fins of the evaporator unit inside the AC housing. If it starts to smell, then the system needs to be cleaned with a bacterial agent to remove the mould. This is a common problem and most repair shops are experienced at correcting this problem. To reduce the chance of mould growing again, turn the AC system off and let the fan blow for several minutes if you are going to park the vehicle for a while. Mould grows best in humid conditions, and operating the fan dries out the moisture on the evaporator fins so it doesn't grow.

[/b]

·
Registered
900 Posts
Is it a funky/musty odor? If so, that would be your typical mold and mildew. You'll notice it more around summer because heat, humidity and all of that condensation in your ac box let it flourish. Click here: BG Products - climate control products. The 1st thing to use is the Frigi-fresh. Take your cabin air filter back out and spray this stuff onto the evaporator for about 10 seconds with the blower on low. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and all should be well.

They also have a Frigi-flush kit for stubborn odors. This foams in and is drawn thru the evaporator by the blower, again set on a lower speed. It breaks down and washes out of the ac drain after about 15 minutes.

:yesnod:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am noticing a strong smell from my AC when I turn it on. The smells goes away after about a minute. It smells kind of chemical in nature, but I cannot distinguish what it is. I have replaced the cabin air filter, so I know this is not the cause. I have been smelling it for about 2000 miles, just shortly after I bought it. What could be causing this and how can it be fixed?

2003 Mazda 6 S
43,000 miles
[/b]
It is not a mildewy or moldy smell as I am used to that (I used to drive a 93 Chevy). It is also not a sweet smell like coolant can produce. It is not an ashy smell. I will try some of that AC refresher stuff and see if that works!

·
Registered
82 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts