Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 403 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm glad to have found a prospective new HU for my 2014 AT touring non-bose. i cannot stand the stock unit...especially after my wife's new 2016 CX-5 GT has such a better setup and works so much more reliably.

i'm glad to hear that the commander knob (mostly) works. i actually really like the feature and use it a lot so i don't want to loose it's functionality or the buttons around it, even if it is restricted a bit on a per-app basis. i couldn't live without the SWC so i'm happy that they are problem free.

my biggest concerns with the stock HU are that i cannot navigate my ipod's menus when connected through USB, and that i cannot download text messages. are you able to do both of these with the new HU? i've read that sometimes the built-in USB port no longer works after HU swaps-i think Hisma's unit had that problem-do you?

i'm going to have my audio guy do this install so i plan to print out this thread and give it to him; i'm not worried about doing it myself. is there anything else i should know about reduced or changed functionality before biting the bullet? thanks-sorry if i missed any of this in the earlier parts of the thred.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
@drfeiny Honestly, the commander knob is pretty useless now. The headunit just isn't setup to be navigated with it since you're not going through menu tabs/lists to get to what you want. It's setup like any smartphone or tablet in that you go back to the home screen and then touch whatever app you want to use.

Here are some things that I've found:

- Pressing the commander knob functions as a pause when in a music app (not sure if there are other uses in other apps)
- Back buttons work for backing out of menus/apps
- Phone takes you to the phone/bluetooth menu
- Navigation button can be set to any app you desire (Google Maps/Waze/stock nav app on the headunit)
- Audio takes you to the audio settings - Does anyone know if this can be mapped to take you to the radio/spotify/anything else?

I honestly don't touch the command knob except to pause. I would LOVE it if I could just map it as a volume knob. Has anyone tried this? I can't get the button function app to do anything.

·
Registered
45 Posts
@drfeiny Honestly, the commander knob is pretty useless now. The headunit just isn't setup to be navigated with it since you're not going through menu tabs/lists to get to what you want. It's setup like any smartphone or tablet in that you go back to the home screen and then touch whatever app you want to use.

Here are some things that I've found:

- Pressing the commander knob functions as a pause when in a music app (not sure if there are other uses in other apps)
- Back buttons work for backing out of menus/apps
- Phone takes you to the phone/bluetooth menu
- Navigation button can be set to any app you desire (Google Maps/Waze/stock nav app on the headunit)
- Audio takes you to the audio settings - Does anyone know if this can be mapped to take you to the radio/spotify/anything else?

I honestly don't touch the command knob except to pause. I would LOVE it if I could just map it as a volume knob. Has anyone tried this? I can't get the button function app to do anything.
that doesn't sound too bad of a compromise to me. i can deal. i actually thought about mapping the twisting of the knob to a volume button as well but i have no idea how to go about this. actually, mapping it to the recent apps list would be the coolest and most useful option, imho.

honestly, my biggest gripe is the usb connectivity with my ipod, and reading my text messages. what have you experienced with these things?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Twisting the knob does not work at all, Pushing it left of right works in some app like in the radio app it will scan left or right depending on which direction you push the knob.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Twisting the knob does not work at all, Pushing it left of right works in some app like in the radio app it will scan left or right depending on which direction you push the knob.
even better!

what about navigating an ipod's menus when connected through USB, and downloading text messages. are you able to do both of these with the new HU? i've read that sometimes the built-in USB port no longer works after HU swaps-i think Hisma's unit had that problem-does this HU?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
even better!

what about navigating an ipod's menus when connected through USB, and downloading text messages. are you able to do both of these with the new HU? i've read that sometimes the built-in USB port no longer works after HU swaps-i think Hisma's unit had that problem-does this HU?

Have not tried it that way yet, been using my phone as a hotspot for the Head Unit instead, the original USB still have power to charge your phone though. I'll try it today when I get a chance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have not tried it that way yet, been using my phone as a hotspot for the Head Unit instead, the original USB still have power to charge your phone though. I'll try it today when I get a chance.
thanks madstyle. i appreciate your help.
i really like the idea of not needing to glance down at whatever i'm sourcing my music from to be able to navigate through the folders and playlists it contains. still this HU is so many light years ahead of the POS we were given i might just pull the trigger anyways.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
i really like the idea of not needing to glance down at whatever i'm sourcing my music from to be able to navigate through the folders and playlists it contains. still this HU is so many light years ahead of the POS we were given i might just pull the trigger anyways.
Ok, original USB does not work at all, But can use it as a charger for your phone, You will have to use the USB cable that came with the HU. Have mines in the glove compartment for now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok, original USB does not work at all, But can use it as a charger for your phone, You will have to use the USB cable that came with the HU. Have mines in the glove compartment for now.
interesting. where does the USB cable from the HU come out, the back of the unit i'm guessing? are you able to navigate files/folders/playlists etc when plugged into the HU USB?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
interesting. where does the USB cable from the HU come out, the back of the unit i'm guessing? are you able to navigate files/folders/playlists etc when plugged into the HU USB?
Cable runs from back of radio, someone did not think that one out thoroughly when designing the HU, could of easily made a front face USB somewhere on the HU. I do not have an ipod, but flash drive was seen easily, music loads almost instantly, etc.

·
Registered
200 Posts
There is a way to wire the USB and Aux directly to the module under the armrest. Check the link below:

Aftermarket head unit, keeping USB (AX-MAZUSB)

·
Registered
45 Posts
ok, ok- last questions:

1. does the car still "beep" at oncoming cross traffic when backing up?
2. are HD radio stations still available?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
ok, ok- last questions:

1. does the car still "beep" at oncoming cross traffic when backing up?
2. are HD radio stations still available?

thanks!
1. Yes. I don't have the necessary cables for my camera to work yet, so I don't know if the screen still flashes the warning at you, but the beep is still there.

2. I'm not sure on the HD radio. The radio tuner has several settings that I don't understand.

·
Registered
19 Posts
1. Yes. I don't have the necessary cables for my camera to work yet, so I don't know if the screen still flashes the warning at you, but the beep is still there.

2. I'm not sure on the HD radio. The radio tuner has several settings that I don't understand.
I found some cables online that supposedly work for the camera and USB with aftermarket HU. (Links below). I plan on getting them when I pull the trigger on this HU.

Camera
AX-MAZCAM - Mazda Ax-Mazcam Mazda Backup Camera Retain/Add-On Ax-Mazcam - AXXESS

USB
AXMAXUSB - Mazda Usb Adapter

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just ordered this on Amazon for $6.99 I'll see if it works with this radio when I get it.
even though it mates perfectly with the car USB connector it still doesn't allow our units to recognize it, unfortunately. If someone is motivated it could probably be fixed. Perhaps a pair of wires need to be swapped or something. I never made a big deal since I just shoved the USB cable into my glovebox along with a USB hub. Does everything I need it to do. Though if I wanted to interface my phone directly with the unit this would not be sufficient.

·
Registered
189 Posts
i'm surprised how many people still use radio nowadays. with pandora, spotify, soundcloud, mixcloud, iheartradio, to name a few, I don't see why you'd ever feel inclined to listen to a local radio station. I never touch mine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm surprised how many people still use radio nowadays. with pandora, spotify, soundcloud, mixcloud, iheartradio, to name a few, I don't see why you'd ever feel inclined to listen to a local radio station. I never touch mine.
well, i for one don't have unlimited data to stream internet radio 24/7. i also like getting local AM news.

41 - 60 of 403 Posts