Mazda 6 Forums banner

181 - 200 of 399 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi Rhodeme,

I can help you with some of your questions. Sounds great that you're willing to contribute to the community.

Do you care about having a cd player? If you do, get the 8" smart rover I posted in my thread. Otherwise, get the 9" one shown here. Stick to smartrover. Even if you find a cheaper model that appears equivalent, these chinese sellers are a huge crapshoot, and there will be subtle differences in the product offered between these sellers that can be deal-breakers, and you will have practically no recourse since the seller is in china. Smartrover is a proven seller, they're fairly helpful and responsive, and you'll have something that we all have here so we can help you better.

Yes you'll get to change lighting/door locks etc with the new unit. It maintains canbus functionality, and these settings are stored in an app called "car settings".

You will lose stock mic, but you can run the new external mic up your a-pillar and put it in place of your existing mic. Not a huge deal. Otherwise you can use the built-in mic only. Don't know about aux (there is a harness connection for it), but you lose stock usb. It's not a big loss as you'll gain new USB ports that you can run inside your glovebox, or wherever else you find convenient.

Other than the commander knob as you mentioned, everything else will function without any extra harnesses or add-ons, including all your steering wheel controls and backup cam. And the unit is pretty much plug & play.

If you are going to add your own external amp/speakers, I recommend including a line driver at minimum. Pre-outs are only 1V. My signal chain is HU -> DSP -> line driver -> amp -> speakers.

Others can add more on your bose questions, as I have a non-bose system. But I know if you wanted to keep using the bose amp/sound processing, you still can with this system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys

Just completed my install of the smart rover without too much trouble but I was wondering if anyone knew what the wires marked K1 and K2 are for?

Should I join them or are they not used?

Many thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
K1 K2 are for connecting resistive physical keys, such as your steering wheel controls. You have no need for them, since the smartrover uses canbus for sending commands to your physical buttons instead. You can still connect them if you want. The advantage is that with K1 K2 you can customize what the buttons do.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does anyone have any tips/guides on how to remove the plastic trims? I'm worried about breaking off the tabs or marring the surfaces.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi all!

I appreciate the informations what you shared in this topic, i ordered a Smart Rover HU based on your thoughts, can't wait to arrive:)
Would someone tell me (or show a picture) about how did you fix the usb cable in the glovebox? It seems difficult to connect to the original output, but i'm fine with the glovebox.

Thank you all!

pub

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Hi all!

I appreciate the informations what you shared in this topic, i ordered a Smart Rover HU based on your thoughts, can't wait to arrive:)
Would someone tell me (or show a picture) about how did you fix the usb cable in the glovebox? It seems difficult to connect to the original output, but i'm fine with the glovebox.

Thank you all!

pub
Once you get the radio and install it, you will not be able to use the original usb port in car. You will have a new USB cable running from back of radio and you can run the wires to Glove box instead.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Okay, i know that the old usb port is for charging only in the future, but how did you fixed the end of the new usb cable in the glove box? Or is it just hanging around?:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Do you care about having a cd player? If you do, get the 8" smart rover I posted in my thread. Otherwise, get the 9" one shown here. Stick to smartrover.
I went to your supplied website and they only one they have listed now is the 9".

I've read every single post carefully and learned a lot. Thank you for all the advice. Sad though that I'll loose my HD radio... that was the best thing about the OEM radio!

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Not sure if it will be an issue for someone else, but I bought a recommended USB camera as a dashcam for the Head unit. Did not work and original apps did not work aka recorder or f-cam. So tinkering around with it, found out the regular USB cable did not work with camera, so I tried the 3g/DVD usb cable and my camera works along with a third party app I found in the playstore called Autoguard, which is a dashcam app to record videos. App allows for background recording so you can use other apps like streaming radio,etc. Also found you can practically use any USB camera as well, I've tried 3 different brands from my computer and all worked. So you do not have to buy a so called dedicated camera for head unit.

Break Down
1. Original apps that came with radio will not work for USB cameras.
2. Use the 3G/DVD cable instead of the regular USB to power Camera
3. Find another dashcam app in Playstore, I think Autoguard is the best, pro version cost 2.99.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I went to your supplied website and they only one they have listed now is the 9".
I realize you may have already ordered a HU but in case you haven't both the 8-inch and 9-inch are available from the seller. The 8-inch unit is available here and the 9-inch is available here. Granted neither one has HD radio.

@Hisma did you ever install that aftermarket rear cam?
How did it work out?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I realize you may have already ordered a HU but in case you haven't both the 8-inch and 9-inch are available from the seller. The 8-inch unit is available here and the 9-inch is available here. Granted neither one has HD radio.

@Hisma did you ever install that aftermarket rear cam?
How did it work out?
unfortunately no, it's sitting in a box uninstalled, along with my aftermarket fog lights I haven't gotten around to installing either, lol. Once I find more free time I will get to it. I just did a cross-country move and started a new job, so life has been hectic. Once I get on it i'll update the thread.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Read through all 20 pages of this thread and keen to get one of the these. I actually really like the car but hate the head unit with a passion.

I can't see why it wouldn't work but has anyone installed the Tomtom GO app?
Igo is preinstalled, i installed waze, a guess no problem to download Tomtom Go, i didn't try though:)

181 - 200 of 399 Posts
About this Discussion
398 Replies
72 Participants
Interlukens 1
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing