Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
Update from Mazda which I think is totally ridiculous anyone have any comments on it?
Thanks for getting back to us about this - So they're saying it functions exactly as I've gleaned from everyone's experience (and my own) with these cars. If the car thinks you're paying attention, it won't bother with the SBCS - While I don't agree with it, I understand why they do it - can't have the car stopping on a dime every time you get close to something and it arbitrarily decides to jam on the brakes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks for getting back to us about this - So they're saying it functions exactly as I've gleaned from everyone's experience (and my own) with these cars. If the car thinks you're paying attention, it won't bother with the SBCS - While I don't agree with it, I understand why they do it - can't have the car stopping on a dime every time you get close to something and it arbitrarily decides to jam on the brakes.
And if no action is being taken, no braking taking place the vehicle does not warn or apply the brakes, it will collide with the vehicle or pedestrians its supposed to prevent. MAZDA: SCBS & SBS | Pre-Crash Safety Technology

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
And if no action is being taken, no braking taking place the vehicle does not warn or apply the brakes, it will collide with the vehicle or pedestrians its supposed to prevent. MAZDA: SCBS & SBS | Pre-Crash Safety Technology

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
???

"When driving at low speeds (approximately 4 - 30 km/h) a laser sensor mounted on the windsheild senses the car in front. If the system detects a risk of collision, it prepares the brake system to be ready to deliver maximum stopping power when the driver brakes. If the driver does not take evasive action such as braking or steering, the system simultaneously applies the brakes and reduces engine output, with the aim of avoiding the collision or reducing the severity of impact. "

So, if you've got your foot on the brake at all and it detects something, it readies the car to provide full stopping power if you press it any further - but it won't apply it for you. If you aren't doing any braking or steering, it stops for you to the best of its ability. - Exactly how I've been trying to explain it to people :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
???

"When driving at low speeds (approximately 4 - 30 km/h) a laser sensor mounted on the windsheild senses the car in front. If the system detects a risk of collision, it prepares the brake system to be ready to deliver maximum stopping power when the driver brakes. If the driver does not take evasive action such as braking or steering, the system simultaneously applies the brakes and reduces engine output, with the aim of avoiding the collision or reducing the severity of impact. "

So, if you've got your foot on the brake at all and it detects something, it readies the car to provide full stopping power if you press it any further - but it won't apply it for you. If you aren't doing any braking or steering, it stops for you to the best of its ability. - Exactly how I've been trying to explain it to people :)
I agree that's how it should work but our vehicle does not. Dealer service manager drove the car to a stationary bus. It did not work he had to brake hard. It worked once out of four attempts front and back of the bus.

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
I agree that's how it should work but our vehicle does not. Dealer service manager drove the car to a stationary bus. It did not work he had to brake hard. It worked once out of four attempts front and back of the bus.
Sounds like a problem with that vehicle then - my SCBS (and many others on here) has worked perfectly the few times it's gone off. Parked under a really low tree once and it gave me a good scare when the car locked up suddenly.

·
Super Moderator
17,214 Posts
Well then mine is fucked up cause it def kicked in while the brakes were being applied.
Read through that a bit though - If you're steering or braking at all, the car readies itself to SLAM on the brakes if you make any more changes, assuming that you've noticed and are trying to avoid collision. So if you moved the wheel at all or pressed any further on the pedal, it did the rest, as designed.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Read through that a bit though - If you're steering or braking at all, the car readies itself to SLAM on the brakes if you make any more changes, assuming that you've noticed and are trying to avoid collision. So if you moved the wheel at all or pressed any further on the pedal, it did the rest, as designed.
but it won't apply it for you.
But, it did apply it for me. Im gonna guess you know what threshold braking is? The point at which any further pressure will result in lock up (or ABS intervention)? Thats why i have the distance AND SBS AND SCBS turned off. I just have to manually turn the SCBS off each time i start the car. Im hoping theres something in the ASbuild info...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
But, it did apply it for me. Im gonna guess you know what threshold braking is? The point at which any further pressure will result in lock up (or ABS intervention)? Thats why i have the distance AND SBS AND SCBS turned off. I just have to manually turn the SCBS off each time i start the car. Im hoping theres something in the ASbuild info...
Mine also applied the brakes whilst I was feathering them, you could feel the car slowing as I was approaching the vehicle in front so it must get ready to brake itself if you get too close. However this only worked 3 times and has not worked since, nor has the BBB warning come on when VERY close to the vehicle in front, My Garmin sat nave has collision warning and screams if I get too close to the vehicle in front. Into dealer today I will report back on the findings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Update.

Vehicle recalibration done camera seeing all objects but SCBS still not activating at all. Mazda deny there is a fault as there is no fault light or code so now going to decide to either sell the vehicle or get a professional inspection report done by the AA to take further action.

The dealer service manager confirmed to 3 people its not working after road testing with me.

Mazda own demonstration

Any options anyone?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Progress it seems, Mazda Europe after I contacted the customer service director and sent him videos of my vehicle compared to another mazda. He is sending a Mazda Technician on the 10th of March to the dealer in an attempt to find the problem. At least that's something but its taken since 27th January for them to accept my complaint and realise actually there is a problem.
I have videos of a 2019 Mazda 2 stopping every time it gets close to the box test. My 6 failed 3 out of the 5 times exactly the same conditions etc.
Can post if anyone wants to see them
IMG_20200228_103102.jpg

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Good to hear that they have taken steps to handle your issue. I don't think I have that feature or I haven't tried it. I can see a sort of camera on my windshield but I don't know exactly what is it.

I'm suspecting that it is the sensor for the auto leveling of the headlights. I can also see the speed limit changes once I pass through a sign. I think those sensors are located in the same place.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
If you look at the system settings in the command until under safety you can see if SCBS is listed there

21 - 33 of 33 Posts