Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thats right, a small rotary powered RWD hatchback. I'm talking something along the lines of the Honda Integra/Acura RSX, Toyota Celica GTS, Mitsu Eclipse, VW GTI. Detune the new RENESIS rotary engine, a put it in something like this, for a price between $20,000 and $25,000 and watch them fly off the lots.

This car would have everything and more that the competition just doesn't offer. For instance, a high revving engine is a must, RENESIS can beat any piston engine in that regard. It will have great handling, of course. But the biggest thing is that this car would offer RWD, something NO competitor offers at that price point. This car would absolutely kill in the handling, fun to drive department.

I dont' know if it is economically possible, but I would like Mazda to look into it. It is a big market that seems to be doing very well, and one in which I think Mazda would be able to offer the best product out there. We'd have a modern day RX-2 or RX-3 for example. People still love their RX-2 and old Datsuns, because they were small, nimble, and they still are the last bunch of small cars with RWD at a good price. Why not bring that back? Spread out the cost of rotary development, spread out costs of the RX-8 platform, and become the benchmark in the class. Mazda has been good at creating their own niche, but this is one instance where they could dominate the competition by going head to head.

Please Mazda, give it a look. ;)
(1st post in this category, YEAH!)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Small Rotary Hatchback'

Hmmm...I don't know if the rotary would make it outside of it's niche. Personally, I don't know if I'd want to see it outside of it's niche. The rotary has always signified performance and excellence in the RX7. It tailors to a more esoteric crowd, and has a reputation. I think that perhaps the rotary should stay only in their high-performance vehicles as a statement.

We never see a $20,000 Rolls Royce or a $20,000 Ferrari if you see what I'm saying.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

There was a RX-2 (a rotary version of the 616 (in the 626-class); RX-3 (a rotary version of the 818 (in the 323/protege-class) and RX-4 (a rotary version of the 929); so a small rotary car is a good idea in these times

And I know the perfect name for it: RX-6 (hatchback and coupe: we had the MX-6, so why not a Mazda6 coupe?)

·
Registered
178 Posts

Interesting... because we all know that the MX-6 was a 626 in coupe form! ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts

Here is an idea:

Mazda should build a sports car like the Lotus Elise.

The Lotus Elise gets supercar performance out of a 150HP engine because it is a full aluminum car that was designed to be lightweight. It is said to handle better than most Ferraris.

If the big advantage of rotarys over piston powered engines that they are lightweight and small, then Mazda should use that to their advantage.

They could build a car like the Lotus Elise but instead of putting in a 140HP piston powered engine, they could put in a 250HP Rotary WITHOUT increasing the weight or space required.

It would be the ULTIMATE sports car. 0-100km/h in less than 4 secs. .;) :) :p :D

I am drooling all over myself just thinking about it.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Nice call!! The Miata's beauty is in it's purity, but has gotten a bit bloated over the years (but is still excellent, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't kick one out of bed for eating crackers).

I would love to see a light, pure sportscar like that. Problem is to make it not compete with the Miata. In order to do that, perhaps we are looking at an RX7. Remember - a Miata with a rotary ain't a Miata!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Why isn't it a Miata? I know the Miata experience is all about driving enjoyment, and not so much about outright speed and/or power, but a detuned Renesis could give 200HP at the same weight as the current Miata engine. Without a lot of torque, the car wouldn't be too tail happy, and the additional power and rev range could bring the Miata to an all new level. My main concern would be if Mazda could do this and keep the price reasonable. They're going to bring out a MazdaSpeed Miata, which should be turbo-charged. Is that still a Miata in your opinion?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I'm not a huge fan of Turbo to be honest. I just don't like the lag, even on the low-boost motors such as the VW 1.8T. Things like the WRX are just horrible.

Personally if they do forced induction, I'd rather see a supercharger. I think a SC running about 7 lbs boost would be more than sufficient power for the Miata, and there would be no lag.

Personally, if I could have my druthers, I'd like a rotary option in the Miata, but I'm not expecting it, as even in my eye the Miata should ALWAYS stay RWD with 4cyl piston power. But if Mazda were to bring out a version of the Miata, with totally different styling, different name, and put a rotary in there, that would be ideal. If they can't do that, I'd like to see Mazda take the new 1.8L I4 from their new engine family, put on some sweet VTEC type magic, bump up the redline, and squeeze some high revving sports car HP out that way.

IMHO a 2.0 or 2.3L I4 is just too big for a car like the Miata.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka

Why isn't it a Miata?  I know the Miata experience is all about driving enjoyment, and not so much about outright speed and/or power, but a detuned Renesis could give 200HP at the same weight as the current Miata engine.  Without a lot of torque, the car wouldn't be too tail happy, and the additional power and rev range could bring the Miata to an all new level.  My main concern would be if Mazda could do this and keep the price reasonable.  They're going to bring out a MazdaSpeed Miata, which should be turbo-charged.  Is that still a Miata in your opinion?  [/b]
Actually, perhaps not. A miata is all about simplicity. Or at least it was. Less is better. A tribute to the old roadsters. Actually, the first few might fit a rotary...

but I still say

A Miata coupe with a rotary is an RX7!!

Well, outside of the fact that the RX7's have always been heavier.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Or I guess it would be an RX-5. Hey!!! You could call it the Riata!!!! :hoho :hoho :hoho

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Well now we know where the 'Spicy Orange' for the MazdaSpeed Protege came from! :hoho

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

My favorite was the RX-2 or RX-3 two doors. Sweet little cars. Of course my favorite ever has to be the 3rd gen RX-7. STILL one of the sexiest cars on the road, even ~10 years later. I wish I could remember what they were like brand new. They must have been one of the first cars to change from the 80's style boxes with sharp creases to the smooth, svelte, sexy lines that characterized 90's sports cars.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

As sexy as the FD RX7's were (I didn't like them at first, but they grew on me); they were far from the first to sport the oh-so-sharp classic styling of 90's sports cars. The FD RX7 was released in '93. Before that, we had the NSX ('91); the MR2 ('91) the 300ZX ('90); et. al. So, maybe they saved the best for last, but the FD RX7 was far from the first to emerge with the 90's sexy styling.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

See, I consider the NSX to be 80's styling. It looks very similar to the Ferrari Testerrosa (<--spelling?).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts