Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 6 for over 2 months now and I started noticing these problems about a month ago... I took it to dealer once, but no luck. Has anyone seen the same problem and what is the possible fix...

FYI: GS-I4 with Sports Package. Automatic transmission.

1) When I start the car, it has a small shrilling noise (like a grrrr) (for 1-2 seconds); right after the spark noise... before the engine reaches idle point (few seconds after start). Is that normal? Has anyone heard it before. I didn't hear it till someone else started my car and I was outside the car...

2) Also, sometimes I hear loud shrilling noise, from passenger side of the car... It happens when sometimes I stop at a stop sign and/or a red light and take a 90 degree turn and accelerate fast at the same time. I am not jamming the accelerator... just enough for about 2500 - 3000 RPM. Hoping that it is not due to anything in the car dash board etc...

Hoping that these are not major problems and don't effect the car in long run. If you have seen this and/or fixed it, can u post a response. If I know the problem slightly better / fix for it, then hopefully dealer would be more helpful.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: small problems with my 6... anyone seen them?

Sounds to me that what you are describing are the sounds from the A/C pump. It sounds a bit "metallic", like you scratch a pencil on top of a metal sheet or something.

It's normal. Had the exact same thing on my 626, and I had no problems whatsoever with that car. Nor do I with my 6, I must say...other than the fender-bender of which I've told in other threads aswell... :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

could be A/C pump. But the noise is more like metal sheet shaking (hit a metal sheet with something).

·
Registered
319 Posts

Try starting the car and making sure the AC is off. If you still hear it, it isn't the AC compressor

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

The AC is off, so not a compressor noise. Any other comments would also be appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts

the compressor of the AC is working even if the switch is off... i got the same noises and i've been told the compressor is always in function... well, is that true or just to shut me up, who knows? :D

·
Registered
526 Posts

FWIW....

My car would start and make a funky sound similar to what you describe. Sounded to me like something vibrating - and has since gone away.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Could it be that the problem will go away once the engine is broken in.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

It is the AC pump, or rather the disc and the belt (don't know the term) that supplies it with power.

It's true it's always in function. But it's not always under load. When it's under load, you hear this wzzzzzzz-sound.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

The car has been broken in. 4000Km on it. Have the car with me for over 2 months now.

I can understand that AV compressor or desk + belt have a little load when car is just started. What I don't wuderstand is the noise when I take a turn from a stopped position with a little bit of acceleration (2500-3000 rpm). Any thoughts on that noise?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Hmm, a shrill noise? Did someone "accidentally" install a supercharger under the hood? :D

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'small problems with my 6... anyone seen them?'

Originally posted by kyler13

Hmm, a shrill noise?  Did someone "accidentally" install a supercharger under the hood?  :D[/b]
if so, i would like to have such an accident! :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Replying to Topic 'small problems with my 6... anyone seen them?'

Originally posted by mazda666

the compressor of the AC is working even if the switch is off...  i got the same noises and i've been told the compressor is always in function...  well, is that true or just to shut me up, who knows? :D[/b]
Well, yes and no. :) The A/C compressor in most cars works on a clutch system. The outer pulley on the compressor is always turning (usually by the same belt that runs the alternator and water pump); and when the compressor needs to turn on, it engages a clutch that makes the outer pulley turn another pulley (probably not using the right term there); which actually makes the compressor do its thing. You've probably noticed how when your A/C compressor cycles on, if you're idling, you hear a "click" and may notice the RPMs dip for a split second. Or if you're driving, you notice a slight hesitation or jolt when the compressor's inner pulley engages. That's because it's going from a standstill to turning at the speed of the outer pulley really quickly.

Hope that helps! :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts