Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone here could help me out, here's the situation.

I've recently put on new wheels with with winter tires (Blizzak + T57-RC). About a week later, I did a slightly aggressive launch from a light. I noticed a quick screech (half second) as it seems the front tires were starting to slip, and then the car felt like it was kicking into gear.

Since then I've been able to reproduce the effect almost everytime. It seems more pronounced with Trac Control on than with it off, but I still can get it to slip for a sec and then feel a kick.

Is there something wrong with my car, or is this normal as the car shifts power from FWD to 4WD?

I'm hoping that this is normal and I just never noticed on my summer tires since they stick so well...

·
Registered
2,426 Posts

I've recently put on new wheels with with winter tires (Blizzak + T57-RC). About a week later, I did a slightly aggressive launch from a light. I noticed a quick screech (half second) as it seems the front tires were starting to slip, and then the car felt like it was kicking into gear.

Since then I've been able to reproduce the effect almost everytime. It seems more pronounced with Trac Control on than with it off, but I still can get it to slip for a sec and then feel a kick.

Is there something wrong with my car, or is this normal as the car shifts power from FWD to 4WD?

I'm hoping that this is normal and I just never noticed on my summer tires since they stick so well...
[/b]
Blizzaks are LOUD tires man. It sounds like you are just experiencing the change from summer to winter tires. You aren't going to be able to launch with Blizzaks like your summer tires.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Blizzaks are soooooo soft. THey aren't made for dry grip. THey are going to give big time on the dry. I'd lay off trying to duplicate because after the tire is 1/3 or so worn down it lost the "good" part of it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Your front tires will slip before the rears. There is nothing wrong.

·
Registered
134 Posts

[/b]

Yes it is normal. You are most likely feeling the rear diff locking up. As soon as the computer senses wheel slip it sends the signal to the rear diff to transfer power to the rear wheels. If I remember correctly the owner's manual talks to this and even has a diagram to show how much the wheels will slip before the 4WD kicks in. I am pretty sure it was the owners manual, but I can't confirm as my car is at the dealer getting a new front axle put in.

·
Registered
679 Posts
"As soon as the computer senses wheel slip it sends the signal to the rear diff to transfer power"

What? I think you're mistaken...

With the Bridgestones...I can't get the tires to spin. The 4wd is seamless. On snow tires it's easy. THey are soft and have big, mushy treads.
It's a limited slip rear axle....you won't feel anything.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
+1 Look at how much tread contacts the flat road surface with the Blizzaks. They are meant for getting traction on ice and in snow.

·
Registered
679 Posts
They have wobbly treads. They move and squish which causes the car to be confused.

My Potenzas have become badazz as they wear down to nothing.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I broke my Potenzas loose tonight on the wet road. Needless to say the traction control is awesome. It wouldn't let my tail end slide much.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I made a long sharp turn tonight in a wet parking lot and I could hear the 4wd moaning.

·
Registered
493 Posts
They have wobbly treads. They move and squish which causes the car to be confused.

My Potenzas have become badazz as they wear down to nothing.
[/b]
That's my impression of the Blizzacks. Squishy on dry roads, but unbelievable in the snow.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, all. I think I got my question answered :). The Potenza's were amazing but then it started to snow so I was excited to get the Blizzak's, of course as soon as I put 'em on the weather went from low 40's to high 60's.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yes it is normal. You are most likely feeling the rear diff locking up. As soon as the computer senses wheel slip it sends the signal to the rear diff to transfer power to the rear wheels. If I remember correctly the owner's manual talks to this and even has a diagram to show how much the wheels will slip before the 4WD kicks in. I am pretty sure it was the owners manual, but I can't confirm as my car is at the dealer getting a new front axle put in.
[/b]
this is incorrect, the only time this would occur would be on ice under the front wheels at low throttle. The AWD ECU does not only detect wheel slip but also reads braking, vehicle dynamics, throttle position and a number of other things. If you are launching the car (i.e. a generous amount of throttle not in gear yet) the AWD ECU will know and you will already be in AWD mode...if it detects FWD slip then it will send MORE power to the rear, but i think what he is experienceing is like the others said...some squeeling wear of the winter tires.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had this happen twice wth the stock tires, but I was launchng hard. Once I changed to falkens, it happens all the time even during normal driving.

·
Registered
134 Posts
this is incorrect, the only time this would occur would be on ice under the front wheels at low throttle. The AWD ECU does not only detect wheel slip but also reads braking, vehicle dynamics, throttle position and a number of other things. If you are launching the car (i.e. a generous amount of throttle not in gear yet) the AWD ECU will know and you will already be in AWD mode...if it detects FWD slip then it will send MORE power to the rear, but i think what he is experienceing is like the others said...some squeeling wear of the winter tires.
[/b]
True, true. Re-read the original post. I missed the part where he said "agressive launch." In which case yes, the car is already sending more power to the rear based on the throttle input. However, I have had the front tires slip, on normal take off causing a slight chirp before the rear kicks in, when not on ice. Usually, wet pavement, parking garages, gravel on the road, etc. But yeah...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts