Mazda 6 Forums banner
301 - 320 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I'm just waiting for someone to try this supercharger arrangement with the 6MT transaxle in a Mazda6. The CG C66M-R in a 6 has a shorter final drive than the same transaxle in a 3, so theoretically the whole transaxle should be more stout (by way of torque absorption capacity) in a 6 (or, at least I think I've got the theory correct). I say this, however, not knowing whether the weakest link is the final drive...

If the ability / capacity of the C66M-R is fine for solely in-gear smooth acceleration (not the smacking of individual brutal shifts) then I think I'd be fine to truly consider trying this arrangement.

I never apply the power to the ground in an impulse-type way; I continue to believe that the C66M-R is a "lightweight" by way of durability.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #302 ·
I'm just waiting for someone to try this supercharger arrangement with the 6MT transaxle in a Mazda6...
Almost half the 20 or so supercharged Mazdas are Manual, and the CS turbo is only running on manuals and puts a lot more strain on the transmission than the supercharger.
I think a couple of the folks with the supercharger on manual are thinking about replacing the clutch, but that's partially because they're high mileage.

Either way, doesn't seem like either transmission is a limiting factor until you're over 300wHP

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #304 ·
A few things Dan, how much coolant did you use, the torq specs you used on the SC and what size line did you use on the PCV valve connector?

Thanks brotha. It’s in
Awesome, the red looks cool!
oof, I don't remember all of that LoL
Coolant, I bought a 1 gallon of pre-mixed Mishimoto Liquid Chill coolant and used maybe 2/3 of it to fill the intercooler.
Torque specs for SC manifold to Engine head is 12-14lb/ft

PCV lines, I can't remember, I know I had to make an extra trip to the auto parts store with stock tube in hand, and it turned out my cheap Amazon OCC had some odd sizing fittings...

Best of luck, it's a whole different experience of this car :cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, Dan, did you ever get the trouble code issue straightened out?
I'm seriously thinking about dropping the hammer on the supercharger idea but I live in the DFW area and have to have the vehicle "safety checked" annually. Having a code would make passing difficult if not impossible.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #306 ·
Hey, Dan, did you ever get the trouble code issue straightened out?
I'm seriously thinking about dropping the hammer on the supercharger idea but I live in the DFW area and have to have the vehicle "safety checked" annually. Having a code would make passing difficult if not impossible.
Thanks,
Jim
oh yes, the latest tunes do not have that issue.
Though as we're working on peak power now, I've actually ended up getting CEL for running to rich P0172, but that's the tuner still learning the limits of this engine, slowly and carefully.
We upped the redline slightly to 6500rpm and keep tweaking to get more timing and more power, getting close to the tuning limits for this setup without changing anything more drastic I think

Also, there's a guy that installed the supercharger on a fourth gen Mazda3 and just installed their smaller pulley (4mm smaller +1-1.5psi) and is running fine on the same tune... this engine is proving to take boost really really well!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got back from the bank - opened a separate account to handle the remitly purchase business (SheWhoMustBeObeyed wasn't in the mood for someone messing with HER account). Who are you using for the tuning?

oh yes, the latest tunes do not have that issue.
Though as we're working on peak power now, I've actually ended up getting CEL for running to rich P0172, but that's the tuner still learning the limits of this engine, slowly and carefully.
We upped the redline slightly to 6500rpm and keep tweaking to get more timing and more power, getting close to the tuning limits for this setup without changing anything more drastic I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay, I've digested the thread and the How-To PDF.
A question I didn't see addressed unless I missed it: has there been any discussion or use of water/meth with this system?
Coming from the early Speed3, I've played with spray to cool things - and after the warranty wore out on the CX-5 I've been spraying to clean the backside of the intake valves on it.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #314 ·
Okay, I've digested the thread and the How-To PDF.
A question I didn't see addressed unless I missed it: has there been any discussion or use of water/meth with this system?
Coming from the early Speed3, I've played with spray to cool things - and after the warranty wore out on the CX-5 I've been spraying to clean the backside of the intake valves on it.
That is a fantastic question and a bit of a recurring topic in the community of supercharged Skyactivs, though no one is doing it yet...
The main reason it hasn't happened yet is that there is still a lot of development happening for tuning, with 3 different tuners working to dial in their tunes, and the thought was to add WMI (water/meth injection) once we've found the limits on pump gas, and with smaller pulleys...

Also, a lot of folks say that WMI causes fuel dillution as a negative side effect, curious if you have noticed that at all?

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is a fantastic question and a bit of a recurring topic in the community of supercharged Skyactivs, though no one is doing it yet...
The main reason it hasn't happened yet is that there is still a lot of development happening for tuning, with 3 different tuners working to dial in their tunes, and the thought was to add WMI (water/meth injection) once we've found the limits on pump gas, and with smaller pulleys...

Also, a lot of folks say that WMI causes fuel dillution as a negative side effect, curious if you have noticed that at all?
I have not run into fuel dilution at any time with the WMI I've done - '07 Speed 3 that I ran 95k miles till '16 when I traded it on the CX-5; then about 30k miles on the CX-5. But moderation in all things, Grasshopper. Carefully sneaking up on things little by little. I also don't pay any attention to the CAFE standard oil weight sticker. Global owner's manuals don't mention 0W20.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #316 ·
I have not run into fuel dilution at any time with the WMI I've done - '07 Speed 3 that I ran 95k miles till '16 when I traded it on the CX-5; then about 30k miles on the CX-5. But moderation in all things, Grasshopper. Carefully sneaking up on things little by little. I also don't pay any attention to the CAFE standard oil weight sticker. Global owner's manuals don't mention 0W20.
Been thinking about running 0w-30 (been using Triax high qaulity synthetic that seems to hold up well)

great to hear about WMI, it looks I may be nearing the fueling system limit so WMI may be a nice way to gain some more timing by cooling things off...

·
Registered
6 Posts
great to hear about WMI, it looks I may be nearing the fueling system limit so WMI may be a nice way to gain some more timing by cooling things off...
I'm in Texas, so cool is a relative term....😋
Another question: The instructional video shows the re-use of the intake gaskets/rings. Has anyone run into trouble doing that? I'd hate to get things apart and have to order them - the nearest dealer is 60 miles away.
Thx.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #318 ·
I'm in Texas, so cool is a relative term....😋
Another question: The instructional video shows the re-use of the intake gaskets/rings. Has anyone run into trouble doing that? I'd hate to get things apart and have to order them - the nearest dealer is 60 miles away.
Thx.
so far no one has had issues with reusing the existing gaskets, their nice thick rubber that nests into grooves in the intake manifold/supercharger assembly.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #319 ·
@tickerguy Interestingly it turns out the source of my P0101 CEL and some of my lean AFR issues were caused by a faulty upstream O2 sensor (wide-band), even though I'm only at 53k miles it's been tuned since 23k miles and gone through a LOT of iterations and hard driving.
We're still dialing in the tune getting the AFR exactly where we want it for max power without pulling any timing (~12.0 AFR at peak rpm/boost/load), but the partially failed O2 sensor was confusing things.

Also, there's now over 30 supercharged Skyactivs that we know of (only a couple 6s though), and already 1 guy has put a smaller pulley to get +1psi across the rev range (technically only 3% smaller pulley, anything more would require stronger internals, said the supercharger company)

This car is and will remain my daily driver for many years to come so I will not be changing any pulleys, I think the low boost that it runs (mostly 2-4psi in normal driving, peak 8psi at red line) is a perfect balance that may actually increase enginge/transnmission longevity.
for instance seems to actually increase oil longevity (not sure how much it is because the Mishimoto oil cooler is ensuring oil temps are managed well or just the fact that it revs SO much lower most of the time). Furthermore the transmission is actually shifting a lot less than before the supercharger, so while there is more load on it, the fact that it's shifting at least 25% less because I have power at extremely low rpm (2psi @1400rpm) means that it may last longer as well.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Interesting..... Mine is a MTX of course, and blowing up the gearbox would not be my favorite thing. The big gating factor for "no" thus far for me is the premium fuel requirement because I drive a LOT and thus the price differential would be a large and permanent hit to my wallet.

301 - 320 of 321 Posts