Mazda 6 Forums banner
281 - 300 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
When I saw the smoke being "eaten" by the engine, I told them to stop! Then I realized I'm just watching a video.
Yea, too many idiots think "rolling coal" means yours making power.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Afternoon Supercharger group. I’m starting the process to acquire a supercharger, so exciting.
Meiting Wei just informed me that she is launching a group purchase activity with better pricing. Not sure how many are ready to jump in but thought I’d ask. Then we can contact her and have the group purchasing set up.

About payment, I’m still gathering info but sounds like now is a way to transfer from your bank to their corporate account so there’s no limit.

Let me know what you think or if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
2016 Mazda 6 M/T

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Meiting Wei just informed me that she is launching a group purchase activity with better pricing
CRAP! I'm no where near ready 😭😭😭😭

·
Registered
152 Posts
I figure, once the down payment is placed. It then gives me a little more time to gather up the funds.
At least you’ll have it for when you are ready.
I’m still waiting on body kit components from Israel.

·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
285 Posts
Apart from not having that kind of money at the moment, I don't have a Skyactiv engine. Hmmm...Has anybody ever heard of somebody dropping a Skyactiv in a 2G?

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Update: Car is still running great! Latest data logs from DRTuned rev1.4 shows a further increase in airflow to 240G/s and still not at the limit of timing/fuel. For reference, N/A tuned is only 160G/s, and with the supercharger company tune I could only get about 215G/s of air flow.

Planning to dyno before the end of the summer to finally get an official number (keep stalling until I'm done with tuning, etc. :))

Also, I'm going to start beta testing for VFTuner (aka. OVTune, Matt/Raf), still waiting to hear what the next steps are...

Reactions: johnrblakejr

·
Registered
104 Posts
CRAP! I'm no where near ready 😭😭😭😭
The group buy that I got in on was extended for like 2 months and entry was as little as $160 for those arriving late. I only put down $380 and haven't paid more yet. They are preferring full payoffs after deposit due to Remitly cancelling/refunding payments now and bank transfer being one of the only options. Thankfully they don't ask a specific timeframe and will accommodate almost anything.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
The group buy that I got in on was extended for like 2 months and entry was as little as $160 for those arriving late. I only put down $380 and haven't paid more yet. They are preferring full payoffs after deposit due to Remitly cancelling/refunding payments now and bank transfer being one of the only options. Thankfully they don't ask a specific timeframe and will accommodate almost anything.
Yea, i mean i literally cannot justify that this year. Its out of my budget.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Big news about the Supercharger kit! Thanks to the growing community, and a bunch of research of multiple folks.
It turns out the VT Supercharger is a Twin Vortices Series (TVS) supercharger very similar to the Eaton compressor. It is using a pair of identical 4 lobe helical compressors, so it is actually a Roots style mechanism but using twin screw compressors for higher efficiency!
At first I was dissapointed it's just a "roots" blower, until I started researching the efficiency of the TVS blowers, it turns out at below 16psi of boost these twin vortices roots blowers are MORE efficient than twin screw superchargers. That's why we're seeing such great ignition timing and power and can run even on stock tune, because it's adding so little heat.
Also I figured out the current rpm of the compressor (1400rpm at idle of 650 engine rpm). I took some 240fps footage of my compressor pulley with engine running at idle, with rpm visible in footage on my phone, then stepped through frame by frame to compute that in stock form it is operating at a ratio of 2.2:1 compressor rpm: engine rpm.
Combine this with what we know about the flow map of the compressor and I was able to build the table of Engine rpm to compressor rpm showing the efficiency range of the compressor at a given rpm, and more importantly what an under-drive pulley can do (either 5%, 10%, 15% *anything over 5% likely needs stronger internals)
So there is plenty of headroom with this blower to go after sizeable power, for those interested
😎

(the table in the image below maps the efficiency range of the compressor relative to the engine rpm, and shows what smaller pulleys would do to compressor efficiency ranges... this compressor can push more air than stock internals can take!

Font Line Material property Parallel Screenshot
Gesture Font Auto part Cylinder Engineering
Automotive design Plastic Auto part Fashion accessory Automotive wheel system

Light Automotive lighting Font Engineering Diagram
Slope Plot Line Rectangle Font

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’m curious to know more. I planned on changing the crank pulley to a lower weight one while I have everything apart.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #297 ·
@%1; did you clean the intake valves during the change?
Nope, they were covered in black but no accumulations sticking out that looked like it would occlude anything. Also I needed to be done in the weekend, in time to drive my car to work on Monday morning.

Some of the folks that have installed the supercharger cleaned up the valves while they had the intake manifold off, it's up to you, but unless there's accumulations that seem problematic then I wouldn't worry about it (Skyactivs are designed to cook the carbon deposits to while it's coated in a thin layer it never accumulates, assuming it gets hot enough, which the supercharger will also help with)

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
I’m curious to know more. I planned on changing the crank pulley to a lower weight one while I have everything apart.
Changing the crank pulley doesn't generally have much effect, but it will reduce a little bit of rotating mass which could theoretically help it change rpm a hair faster.

The pulley I was talking about is the one on the supercharger itself, if you swap it to a smaller one then the compressor runs a at a slightly higher speed and you get a bit more boost. VT-Racing does sell smaller pulleys, many folks are considering the 61mm pulley (just 3.2% smaller than stock) which should add +1psi at all rpm and +2psi at red line, but you sign away their 2 year warranty by doing that.
They also sell smaller pulleys but anything smaller and they HIGHLY recommend upgrading engine internals... but they have a pulley that's 15% smaller than the stock one, which the compressor would still be efficient at, and push enough air for a enough power that the issue becomes the transmission or the axles.

For my car, I'm planning to drive this for the the next 100k mi/ 10-15 years, so I'm not likely to change the pulley, and with how gentle this boost is and how much I stay in really low rpm now, my engine may last even longer than normal...

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
@WoodinvilleDan did the MIL get sorted or does it still throw codes?
Yes, and it seems to be common amongst all of the boosted Skyactivs: P0101 MAF out of range error
but it only happens at low rpm, it's not exceeding the limits of the MAF sensor itself, so it's just not what the ECU is expecting. Some tuners are just disabling that error, but my tuner is still trying to adjust the maps/expectations of the ecu enough to negate that error being thrown.

I will also say, the latest revision, v1.5, from DRTuned feels amazing, and not done yet, can't believe how much power this engine is making, it's sooooo fun. did a mini ad-hoc race with my buddy's 2.5T, and I gapped him from the beginning and just pulled further and further ahead :devilish:

Reactions: ThatOneGuy93
281 - 300 of 303 Posts