Mazda 6 Forums banner
241 - 260 of 303 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I’m about to pull the trigger. How’s everything going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
He hasnt been around for over 5 weeks, maybe 6.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 ·
Sorry I've been MIA! (life...)

Things are still running GREAT.
It's been 7 months, 6k mi, multiple AutoX days, still solid, reliable, and efficient.

Just formed partnership with DrTuned to develop custom tunes for the supercharger to extract even more power (tune from VT-Racing is very conservative)...:cool:

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I’m about to pull the trigger. How’s everything going?
What's your status?!
I just updated the OP to link to a guide that a few of us made and update the status (y)

Reactions: Sp1d3y

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Sorry I've been MIA! (life...)

Things are still running GREAT.
It's been 7 months, 6k mi, multiple AutoX days, still solid, reliable, and efficient.

Just formed partnership with DrTuned to develop custom tunes for the supercharger to extract even more power (tune from VT-Racing is very conservative)...:cool:
Good to hear you're still ALIVE and well! And great that all is working out well with your car.

There is a fellow on Mazda3Revolution with a 2.5 Sky M3 6mt that has put the supercharger on his car but is experiencing prbs with the timing advance being severely pulled-back over 4000 RPM's... Not sure what's up. Do you know anything about that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
What's your status?!
I just updated the OP to link to a guide that a few of us made and update the status (y)
Currently looking at placing the purchase in January. I’ve started a conversation with your contact. So it’s a start.

Definitely know the car needs just a little
More get up and go.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
Good to hear you're still ALIVE and well! And great that all is working out well with your car.

There is a fellow on Mazda3Revolution with a 2.5 Sky M3 6mt that has put the supercharger on his car but is experiencing prbs with the timing advance being severely pulled-back over 4000 RPM's... Not sure what's up. Do you know anything about that?
Yes, I'm very familiar, though he has the 2.0L (apparently the 2.0L is harder to tune for, and he may have had a vacuum/boost leak contributing to odd behaviors).
We think it comes down to the VT-Racing tuners not being very good... For now he took the Supercharger off, put the stock intake back on, to verify everthing runs fine without, and identified possible sources of vacuum/boost leak that he is planning to mitigate when he re-installs it.

I've officially formed a partnership with DRTune, which will use my car as the development platform to officially start supporting tuning for super charged Skyactivs!
Will try not to be such a stranger to this forum ;)

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Does the M3 manual tranny (or non specified gender) differ in any way from the M6?
The difference is 2.0L vs. 2.5L (otherwise they are the same across M3 or M6), so an M3 2.5L has the same trans as M6, but the M3 2.0L has a less strong trans (but they may have the same clutch, from what I've seen in some threads)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Ok good, I think that was one of the biggest concerns at this point before I went ahead. Seems even with the 13:1 compression ratio the block is able to contain more and be very sturdy. I was a little
More concerned with the tranny since I can sometimes tell when the syncro’s are off. When they are on point and matched, the car has a very constant pull feel.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Could be wrong, but info I think I've seen is that M3 2.5 6mt and M6 2.5 6mt only differ re final drive, M6's being a mite "shorter". Having said this, the consensus is that the Skyactiv 6at is a stronger trans than the Sky 6mt. Dan's car is 6at. Incidentally, I think 2.0 trans is a Skyactiv-mt... Same trans as 2.5 m3 trans, but first gear ratio may be different.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Could be wrong, but info I think I've seen is that M3 2.5 6mt and M6 2.5 6mt only differ re final drive, M6's being a mite "shorter". Having said this, the consensus is that the Skyactiv 6at is a stronger trans than the Sky 6mt. Dan's car is 6at.
Remember, we hashed that out, its the same as the diesel one, so it can handle a lot more than speculated.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I remember about discussion, generally, but I don't remember concluding that the Skyactiv-MT is used with the Turbo Diesel. I'll have to go back up this thread to reread the discussion.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I remember about discussion, generally, but I don't remember concluding that the Skyactiv-MT is used with the Turbo Diesel. I'll have to go back up this thread to reread the discussion.
Have gone back in this thread, and on page 7 Trollz talks about different "strengths"/classes of transaxles... but I cannot seem to see more definitive info. It may NOT be in this thread where this matter was hashed-out, and so I have to ask: Does anyone remember where that thread is? I wanna reread it...

TIA!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Have gone back in this thread, and on page 7 Trollz talks about different "strengths"/classes of transaxles... but I cannot seem to see more definitive info. It may NOT be in this thread where this matter was hashed-out, and so I have to ask: Does anyone remember where that thread is? I wanna reread it...

TIA!
Sorry, I looked again, and found stuff at the top of p. 11 of this thread. I cannot conclude that the manual transaxles for the turbodiesel are the same as those for the 2.5 gasoline... The Diesel's torque is a fair amount higher.

Can anyone dispute the notion?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Sorry, I looked again, and found stuff at the top of p. 11 of this thread. I cannot conclude that the manual transaxles for the turbodiesel are the same as those for the 2.5 gasoline... The Diesel's torque is a fair amount higher.

Can anyone dispute the notion?
Trollz was the one that said it.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Thx Talon; I saw that response. No disrespect at all, but view this attachment, which means "weak-kneed" to me. I think the Diesel's 'box is different and high capacity... and never was (and still isn't) a Skyactiv 'box.
I can find articles talking about the Automatic being the same between 2.5L/2.5T/Diesel, but can't find anything that specifies the same for the Manual

Reactions: Cdn17Sport6MT

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am on a quest...To transform a great car into my dream car.
to supercharge the Skyactiv 2.5L. I want the peak power of the 2.5T with the broad power band of the 2.5L.
Goal: To be on par with e46 M3 or Civic Type R. (and way faster than the Skyactiv 2.5T: less torque, more horsepower).
I initially thought I would pursue cobbling together my own kit (Considering Supercharger on Skyactiv)
But am now pursuing VT-Racing, Chinese company, twin-screw supercharger for 2.0L or 2.5L Skyactiv engines (launched in early 2019 in China).

I've been in regular contact with the company since Jan 2021. Mine is the first supercharged Skyactiv 4-door in the world, outside China, a pioneer :cool: (both scary and cool)

UPDATE 11/2021 - 7 months, 6000 miles, multiple AutoX racing events, lots of hard driving and daily commute, everything is great, still amazed at the mpg, same 35-36 freeway, -1-4 in-town

Started FB group: "Skyactiv-G Super/Turbo Community" (if you're going to do this, come join us, currently 4 of us running the supercharger, 3 others awaiting delivery)

Skyactiv Supercharging Guide
Supercharging at a glance summary:
Cost - $4,500usd (kit, S&H, spark plugs), $5k+ depending on extras.
Purchasing - No proper international store front, have to work around that...
Purchasing Contact - IG: Jiasusupercharger, WhatsApp:+86 159 1882-2540
Tuning - Provided as part of the kit, but it is a very censervative tune. DrTuned is now partnering with one of the early adopters, and will be officially supporting tuning for the Supercharger kit.
Power - 250-270whp+ (old kit on stock cx5 dyno’d at 243whp), there’s possibility of smaller pulley to increase boost, or cams/etc., in the future…
Feeling - Way faster than that power number sounds like. Instant power at every RPM that builds more and more power all the way to redline. There’s always boost when needed, pushing 40% more air!
Efficiency - On the freeway, no loss in MPG, in-town generally -1-4mpg depending on how heavy your foot is (when not pushing it, can get as good MPG as N/A motor).

____
UPDATE 7/12 - 2 months & 1400 miles with the supercharger and it has been great, exceeded my expectations!
for more info read on in this thread or check out my YT channel
View attachment 243278

UPDATE 4/25 - SUPERCHARGER IS INSTALLED AND RUNNING!
It feels great on the road, with a lovely "zingy" sound when on the throttle, but when idling or cruising it almost sounds stock (250-300HP crank). Power just builds and builds as the RPM goes up with peak HP at red-line.
View attachment 242657
__

Complimentary PARTS
1. Spark Plugs (reqired) - need to run colder heat range, found NGKs that are slightly smaller gap (.31" vs .44") and one step colder heat range (8 vs 7)
These are actually OE on Nissan GTR ;)
2. Oil Cooler (recommended) - adding 30% more power means more heat, adding thermostatic oil cooler should help longevity. This kit is made for an ND Miata so the oil filter plate will fit fine, and was able to use one of the brackets to leverage intercooler mounting point.
3. Oil Catch Can - adding forced induction will likely increase blow by and I want to keep the twin screws clean for a long life.
4. Liquid Chill - coolant additive proven to modify surface tension/conductivity characteristics of liquid to increase cooling capacity, drop temps by 25f
5. Boost gauge and Oil Pressure/temp gauges - To have better visibility of what's happening when I'm pushing the car on track or any time. I found a two in one gauge for oil pressure and temperature, plus matching boost gauge. Both are digital so even though the boost will only go up to 6psi I can see exactly where it's at.
Oil Pressure/Temperature Gauge Kit
Digital Boost Gauge Kit
6. Antigravity ATX30-RS 5.5lb, 880CA Battery - to help compensate for the additional weight of the supercharger kit (40-80lbs) switching to ultra light 5.5lb battery can drop 40lbs to help offset. Antigravity also has a bluetooth battery tracker that I was going to install to keep tabs on the health of the battery.
____

*Note: VT-Racing has not installed their kit on any Skyactiv with manual transmissions (mostly CX5s and some 6s), and are not sure how it would handle it. They did seem open to using a softer spring on the bypass valve to lower the peak psi to potentially be livable for manuals.
The good news is they claim the automatic has no problem at all with it, same transmission used with the 2.5T and this will be less torque than that (more horsepower)

View attachment 242283 View attachment 242284 View attachment 242286
Now someone needs to set up a twin charge kit for the 2.5t

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I can find articles talking about the Automatic being the same between 2.5L/2.5T/Diesel, but can't find anything that specifies the same for the Manual
Maybe thats what im remembering, but regardless, it seems pretty stout to me.

241 - 260 of 303 Posts