Mazda 6 Forums banner

221 - 233 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Finally got the throttle booster installed, then went out this morning to do some speed pulls and see what the numbers are with this setup... 0-60: 5.7s :cool:
Screenshot_20210603-073924.png 20210603_080620_HDR.jpg 20210602_200652.jpg

Reactions: Sp1d3y and Sydtron

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
LOL, why did you go with the controller? You cant flash just the throttle boost from OVT?
Not that I could figure out, and the VT-Racing tuner was adamant to not run any other tune, but they clearly left the stock throttle map, it was holding the supercharger back LOL
So I just added some hardware to modulate the throttle signal to open the damn throttle plate faster (thanks @TalonTsi90, got exact same kind us you introduced me to), and holy cow does it make a big difference, like I can see it in how quickly it goes from vacuum to 4psi boost!

5.7sec 0-60 in a Mazda 6!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not that I could figure out, and the VT-Racing tuner was adamant to not run any other tune, but they clearly left the stock throttle map, it was holding the supercharger back LOL
So I just added some hardware to modulate the throttle signal to open the damn throttle plate faster (thanks @TalonTsi90, got exact same kind us you introduced me to), and holy cow does it make a big difference, like I can see it in how quickly it goes from vacuum to 4psi boost!

5.7sec 0-60 in a Mazda 6!!!!! :cool:
Amazing 0-60 times - - - - well done :)

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Awesome. Well done. I have mine in order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
OH really?! 😁
Are you working with Meiting, what's the current eta?

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
Sorry, to clarify, Throttle controller that is.
So far after the new year I plan to hopefully be able to get my hands on one of those SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ok cool, LOL, when you're ready to actually do it, ping me, I can also help with some of the things in the install instructions that were really hard to figure out (thankfully there was lots of pictures!)

It's really interesting how much the throttle controller helps (ESPECIALLY with a supercharger), it makes you realize how Mazda tuned the throttle open really smoothly/slowly for efficiency or something. Mine has three levels F1, F2, F3 each more aggressive, but the F3 is just too much, can't modulate throttle.

The crazy thing is I drove into work this morning, driving like a nut, punching it, launching to 50-60mph from every stop where I could and still got 28mpg

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 6 Sport MT
12 Posts
Thanks for testing this out and providing all the excellent feedback! I'm definitely going to follow this thread for the long term updates. I have a 2018, so I don't think the oil cooler relocation you did would work with the redesigned bumper. I'll have to comb through the pages of this thread to read up on your tuning solution.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #231 ·
Thanks for testing this out and providing all the excellent feedback! I'm definitely going to follow this thread for the long term updates. I have a 2018, so I don't think the oil cooler relocation you did would work with the redesigned bumper. I'll have to comb through the pages of this thread to read up on your tuning solution.
Remote tune was included with the package, I had a bit of a hard time, something about the previous tune I had from OVTune, ended up having the dealership re-flash it to stock.
It's all worked out now, base flash, plus single revision after I sent some datalogs.

As far as the oil cooler, I'm not sure how much it is needed. I mean I put it on because I plan to do a lot of AutoX and Track days, but if you're not then it's definitely not needed. If you do put it on you may need to consider cutting a hole in the underbody aero panel and mounting it flush so it fills the hole (I've seen some builds do it that way).

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #232 ·
The other consideration is that I now know there is a LOT of airflow over the oil filter (that's why my add on sensor reads way colder when the car is moving, it's in the sandwich plate right above the oil filter). Honestly I think it would be sufficient to wrap a heat sink around the oil filter to enhance heat transmission, and run 5w30 synthetic oil, and it'd be fine even for autocross and stuff. I mean the supercharger company never told me that I need an oil cooler, but I plan on hitting autocross or track events every few weeks for years and years with the car, so I wanted the extra protection.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The other consideration is that I now know there is a LOT of airflow over the oil filter (that's why my add on sensor reads way colder when the car is moving, it's in the sandwich plate right above the oil filter). Honestly I think it would be sufficient to wrap a heat sink around the oil filter to enhance heat transmission, and run 5w30 synthetic oil, and it'd be fine even for autocross and stuff. I mean the supercharger company never told me that I need an oil cooler, but I plan on hitting autocross or track events every few weeks for years and years with the car, so I wanted the extra protection.
I've started using 0W-40 for track days. 0W stays equally fluid as stock 0W-20 under cold temps, and 40 weight stays thicker under high temps.
Thanks to EE:

221 - 233 of 233 Posts