Mazda 6 Forums banner

201 - 220 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
After having spent so much time focused &researching this engine/transmission, feeling how it responds with the supercharger, I am convinced this engine could take significantly more boost!
I need to make some video of driving around with the boost gauge visible, it's so gentle and seemless I honestly think I'll get 200k miles out of this car, it's at 42k now (we'll see how long the bearings in the supercharger last). Because of the supercharger I'm not revving as high rpm or shifting as much, so that in some way offsets the negative of higher pressures during combustion...
specifically, below 4000 rpm peak boost is 4-5psi (which can hit even at 1400rpm) and up above 5000 rpm it'll hit 6psi with a touch of 7psi up at red-line. So it's really not a lot of boost pressure, but it's FLOWING a lot more air, according to MazdaEdit it went up 42% (150m/s to 216m/s), by mass airflow sensor, at red-line!

Now 'what is the limit' is a question nobody wants to find out for sure, but Corksport assures me they are releasing their turbo kit next month and it will be significantly more power than my supercharger and that it makes it faster than a speed3, so I'm guessing 10-12psi, but until they release details I'm just guessing. I think at that level it's gotta to be shortening the life of the engine and/or transmission.

For reference I thought this page was interesting Mazda 2.5 SkyActiv-G Engine
"All internal components are lighter and stronger now. There is a forged steel crankshaft, forged connecting rods, and aluminum pistons. The friction of the bottom end was reduced by 30 percent."
This snap (i.e the part about less frictional losses for the bottom-end): code words for narrower, possibly smaller dia. bearings... less capable of taking loads.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its about 1/10th the cost? Its baffled and bronze filtered and has a drain hole/plug.

This is the thing i hate about CS...They created fanbois that think their shit is anything other than rebranded part that they buy, markup and slap a sticker on. This then made them a "household name" amongst unknowing car owners who never questioned the "god like status" of people who could afford their parts as" status equates to money spent" in the eyes of many car guys/gals who dont know any better.

Other than that? Ive never been one to spend money for someone elses stuff when i can usually find a cheaper and functional alternative. Partly cause i didnt have a lot of money growing up and my dad taught me to be self sufficient as much as possible :)
This is why I ask you all the questions. I have more respect and trust for your input on these matters since truthfully, I really wouldn’t know better. Im assuming the baffle and bronze filtered has to do with better longevity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
This is why I ask you all the questions. I have more respect and trust for your input on these matters since truthfully, I really wouldn’t know better. Im assuming the baffle and bronze filtered has to do with better longevity?
It's more about having some mechanism to get the heavy parts of the crank case gasses to separate. The Corksport and Mishimoto both use a turbulance based approach, whereas the cheaper approach that is likely about as effective, is to have a bronze "filter" (it's not really a filter but a material with a lot of surface area to let the liquids condensate) and decent baffle.

For longevity I would think about quality of manufacturing and seals/rubber gaskets, really as long as it's not causing a vacuum leak and getting the heavy parts to fall out of the gasses then it will last fine.

Reactions: TalonTsi90

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
This snap (i.e the part about less frictional losses for the bottom-end): code words for narrower, possibly smaller dia. bearings... less capable of taking loads.
Ha, ya I suppose that's possible, but in the case of Mazda engines my sense is they're just awesome engines, and has more to do with newer alloys with less friction and less weight rather than weaker bearings.
I mean I've NEVER heard of a Skyactiv engine dying, and I'm hoping to continue that 💪

(but I have a feeling if the Corksport kit is really pushing 12 psi we might see some engines get pushed beyond their limits...)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ha, ya I suppose that's possible, but in the case of Mazda engines my sense is they're just awesome engines, and has more to do with newer alloys with less friction and less weight rather than weaker bearings.
I mean I've NEVER heard of a Skyactiv engine dying, and I'm hoping to continue that 💪

(but I have a feeling if the Corksport kit is really pushing 12 psi we might see some engines get pushed beyond their limits...)
I am not saying the big end- and/or main brgs in naturally aspirated form are at their limits... but I am saying, in essence, that it'd be prudent to be 'real cautious with boost (which you are) and very careful that it absolutely does not ping (sorry I always get confused with pre-ignition versus detonation) - as the bearing loads go nuts under one of the two "pinging" conditions. I think detonation... not pre-ignition. In any case forged steel rods and cranks are premium features in an engine.

Instructive to know if any oil pump physical- or programming changes occur with the OEM turbo set-up...?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I am not saying the big end- and/or main brgs in naturally aspirated form are at their limits... but I am saying, in essence, that it'd be prudent to be 'real cautious with boost (which you are) and very careful that it absolutely does not ping (sorry I always get confused with pre-ignition versus detonation) - as the bearing loads go nuts under one of the two "pinging" conditions. I think detonation... not pre-ignition. In any case forged steel rods and cranks are premium features in an engine.

Instructive to know if any oil pump physical- or programming changes occur with the OEM turbo set-up...?
Detonation bounces the piston up and down when its in the full up stroke.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Just in terms of stating what the mindset of Mazda was, with regards to the SkyActiv notion of efficiency, I wanted to put this graphic out there, specifically about the 6MT.

When they speak of "low module splines" (aka small-module) what they are saying is that the synchromesh dog-teeth are dimensionally small and numerous (the opposite of coarse and robust). This is one element of their attempts to save weight, boost efficiency. They also state elsewhere that the axial engagement length of the synchro sleeves is less than the norm (to be able to, in part, reduce the shift throw). All of this means the 6MT is not a "rough and tumble" 'box. When we attempt to boost the 6MT cars we CANNOT go off the deep end!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ok, so with this information and the other we’ve been told about how strong the 6MT is in comparison to the 6AT plus the weaker and stronger transmission types. Which way are we swaying with the bolt on Supercharger and the 6MT?
Thoughts?
Of course I’m referring to the 6MT in the 2.5L skyactive.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I would say we just don't know yet. We'll have to have some volunteers, guinea-pigs... Now the parameters I outlined above are only some of the parameters associated with the torque rating of a 'box. Other parameters include shaft diameters, shaft centre-to-centre spacing (I think), case thickness and ribbing details, distance between support elements (bearings), materials metallurgy, etc. It's complicated. We should somehow find out what the torque-max rating for the transaxle is from the design engineers themselves. Nearest I can tell, that's the only way to know.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I must say this has to be the best and informative forum I’ve been in, in a while. I’m all for being a Guinea-pig. As soon as I have the funds, I’m all in. So far the time frame is the beginning of the year. Anyone else with a MT that takes the plunge, I’ll be all for helping out. My other question: I’d have to have some insight on what to look for during the whole upgrade. But we will get there.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
I've cross-posted this thread to Mazda 3 revolution.com where they're are 2-4 people seriously interested and a couple people through my Instagram groups (M6ninja), and more are MT than AT.
So in the next 18 months it seems probable we'll have a couple more PIONEERS! 😁

The other wrinkle to this topic is Corksport, IFFF they actually release their turbo And its making more power than my setup, 10+ psi, and only works with the MT (because of space, the AT is bigger), then that implies it can take it, aaaand Corksport claims the MT can take tons of power on this drivetrain (and the engine bottom end too) ... But I'm skeptical it can take that much reliably, especially because a turbo impedes exhaust flow, raising heat levels significantly...

Reactions: Sp1d3y

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
To add to my comments about the max torque rating, I imagine the complicated answer, if we were able to get one, would be something like: i) the max. instantaneous torque you can operate at, for I don't know, 95% of the brand new C66M-R transaxles out there, is xxx ft lbs (without sustaining an immediate failure); ii) the max torque you can operate at, say, for up to 5% of your driving time (and still allowing the 'box to have 80,000 miles of useful life) is yyy ft lbs; and iii) for the industry accepted 90°F ambient temp (a SWAG), you can operate the transaxle at a max of hhh HP for 90 minutes before the OEM spec'd lubricant becomes inadequate for the ultimately achieved running temperature of the 'box... I'm guessing at whether they spec iii), above, or not.

Even with receiving an answer (hard as it may be to get one) like the above I suspect empirical testing will be the only way to determine practical max's.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Just in terms of stating what the mindset of Mazda was, with regards to the SkyActiv notion of efficiency, I wanted to put this graphic out there, specifically about the 6MT.

When they speak of "low module splines" (aka small-module) what they are saying is that the synchromesh dog-teeth are dimensionally small and numerous (the opposite of coarse and robust). This is one element of their attempts to save weight, boost efficiency. They also state elsewhere that the axial engagement length of the synchro sleeves is less than the norm (to be able to, in part, reduce the shift throw). All of this means the 6MT is not a "rough and tumble" 'box. When we attempt to boost the 6MT cars we CANNOT go off the deep end!
This may indicate that while the transmission may take the power, the synchro teeth are less substantial, meaning not as resistant to missed shifts "buzzing the gear".
Basically less tolerant of not knowing how to shift 😂

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've cross-posted this thread to Mazda 3 revolution.com where they're are 2-4 people seriously interested and a couple people through my Instagram groups (M6ninja), and more are MT than AT.
So in the next 18 months it seems probable we'll have a couple more PIONEERS!

The other wrinkle to this topic is Corksport, IFFF they actually release their turbo And its making more power than my setup, 10+ psi, and only works with the MT (because of space, the AT is bigger), then that implies it can take it, aaaand Corksport claims the MT can take tons of power on this drivetrain (and the engine bottom end too) ... But I'm skeptical it can take that much reliably, especially because a turbo impedes exhaust flow, raising heat levels significantly...
I did upgrade to the rear axel back CorkSport exhaust- which I do love and sounds deeper than my last V6 Frontier. I would assume if I needed to upgrade the cat back exhaust part and possibly the header to help decrease the impedance of the exhaust.

Could you link the M3 thread at all?

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I did upgrade to the rear axel back CorkSport exhaust- which I do love and sounds deeper than my last V6 Frontier. I would assume if I needed to upgrade the cat back exhaust part and possibly the header to help decrease the impedance of the exhaust.

Could you link the M3 thread at all?

I think the axle back is a huge waste of money when you can just pull the muffler and put a turn down on it. Its actually not hateful and not much louder.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I think the axle back is a huge waste of money when you can just pull the muffler and put a turn down on it. Its actually not hateful and not much louder.
You’ll have to enlighten me “turn down?” Are you meaning like a short exhaust?
I just made the decision based on sound alone, wasn’t expensive at the time and had some discounts. Did my best with listening to all the different audios and first hand comparisons. So far everyone that has come around my car just loves the sound. It has tricked some to thinking I’ve done all these things to it. So that makes me smile. Except the wife can hear me a few blocks away on my way home.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Reactions: Sp1d3y

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
You’ll have to enlighten me “turn down?” Are you meaning like a short exhaust?
I just made the decision based on sound alone, wasn’t expensive at the time and had some discounts. Did my best with listening to all the different audios and first hand comparisons. So far everyone that has come around my car just loves the sound. It has tricked some to thinking I’ve done all these things to it. So that makes me smile. Except the wife can hear me a few blocks away on my way home.

When you take the muffler off, the pipe points to the trunk floor, so you need a 90 degree turn down to point it at the ground instead lol. Still couldnt see the one i had on from behind. If youve got an email address id send a vid, its too big to post here.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #220 ·

201 - 220 of 233 Posts